“Fantastic ”

The White Swan Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 21 Restaurants in Greytown
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Wairarapa paddocks serve up some of the best seasonal and organic produce we’ve ever stumbled across. Come and savour some with a local drop.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Arrived late into town. Their lights were bright and welcoming. Great friendly staff - happy to help. Ordered a burger and some calamari. Burger was amazing (NZ bacon and onion rings) with the best thick chips with an amazing sauce. Calamari was fresh cut and fresh battered. Good local wine available by the glass with tastes offered if your not sure what to order. Perfect!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Sat at our table for a good 20 minutes pondering a very small lunch menu, eventually when someone came over to take our drinks order we discovered that there are no roasts and indeed only 'snack' type lunch meals available. Sunday/ Easter- no roast? Time to walk!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 20 March 2018

My wife ate here at Festival time and after a long day on the road felt she would like to give it another go, and it was within walking distance of our accommodation.
Arrived early (5.00pm ish) ordered drinks, looked at menu and decided to 'give it a second try'. My wife indicated what had happened first time round and I jokingly said it won't happen again. How wrong was I!
The food here is on the pricey side for a small rural town, the drinks are reasonable. We ordered, I have an allergy, the waitress painstakingly wrote down the allergy and placed the order. The food arrived. My wife's burger looked appetising, my duo of beef was a single lump of meat on a platter.
Calling over one of the two waitresses and asking in a polite but firm manner: "explain please" did we get the same waitress reappearing and confiding that explaining in English to 'foreign cooks' sometimes meant things didn't go right.
Not good enough, am I expected to accept that as an excuse?
After that we insisted on staff "sorting it please". It took the staff a while to sort out what had happened which was followed by an entertaining argument between them to nominate the only male on duty to come and explain.
Staff are new doesn't cut it for me. That's not my issue that's a lack of training internally. Having lost that reason, we moved to the next.
Apparently the braised beef is cooked with the cheese and is pre-prepared and cannot be served separately.
So the duo of local beef became steak and chips, to be fair we were not charged for my meal.
Had I been told at the point of ordering that it would be like this, I could have changed my order. That option was not available as no one came and told me the position.
The steak was well cooked, as were the green beans, the salad sparse and the single mushroom looked distinctly lonely on the plate.
So far with our family the White Swan is 0 and 2, and looking at recent reviews there is a high degree of inconsistency in terms of service and food quality.
For locals as a watering hole it is popular, clearly, the bar had a lot of people enjoying the evening sun. For a dining experience the place needs someone to teach customer service, communication and have alternatives in place for those of us with life threatening allergies.
There is a lot of choice in Greytown, perhaps we should have chosen another establishment, which we will in future.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Great selection of food and wines. Extremely attentive staff.... Just wonderful. One night we were a larger group and the service was just as good... Highly recommend

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 16 February 2018

My wife and I were driving down from Napier to Wellington, and we decided to grab some lunch in Greymouth on the way. We parked at the public parking spot near the grocery store, and after looking at a couple of other places, thought the White Swan looked appealing, and the menu offerings were consistent with what we had in mind. We decided to eat indoors rather than the outdoor desk.

We found the wait staff to be friendly. We were promptly seated and provided with menus. I was interested in trying a local craft beer, there was a chalk board list of options, but our waitress did not think each of those listed were actually available. She ended up bringing over two different varieties to examine, I chose the Sawmill Pilsner ($9), actually tasted more like an IPA, but went well with the hamburger and fries I ordered ($19.50). My wife inquired as to the definition of whitebait, listed on the menu, but our waitress indicated she could not describe its nature, had never tried it, so my wife simply had the fish and chips, which she thought was pretty good.

We went over to the bar area to pay the bill, once the table at which we had eaten was identified, the transaction was completed.

One of the staff DID ask us, mid meal, if all was to our satisfaction, and we responded in the affirmative.

We had not researched this restaurant prior to stopping in, seems we had a much more optimal experience than many...this was a very decent lunch, no complaints to offer.

Date of visit: February 2018