“Fabulous Home-Style Korean”
Review of Soban

Ranked #30 of 82 Restaurants in Oakleigh
Reviewed 11 December 2016

Its appearance is very understated and the decor is DIY minimalist, but the food is great. The elderly gent who served us was a smiling gentle man and I suspect not a conversationalist (not in english anyway), but he knew enough to make us feel comfortable and welcome. Its like being invited to someones house. The food was plentiful and very tasty. A fairly wide range of dishes to choose from, typically Korean, but a few other Asian favourites. We were served 4 different homemade kim chi which was good and was replenished on request. Complimentary genmaicha tea. Drinks available for purchase were only soft drinks but BYO is available. There is no card payment option but its excellent value.

Reviewed 8 December 2016

A group of us were looking for dinner before heading out to see some music nearby. We thought we'd give this place a go... and so glad we did!

It's an understated little 'ma & pa' restaurant, tidy and sufficient.

The menu has a number of classic offerings, we selected five dishes between the five of us - it was plenty. They even took care of me and my 'special needs' (gluten-free vegetarian) with zero fuss - I had a veggie hot pot.

BYO - someone popped out to grab wine/beer nearby, gotta love a BYO.

Our dishes arrived promptly, the portions perfect and the food delicious, we really enjoyed our meal.

The owners are super lovely and were very attentive, they're very proud of their restaurant and the food they present (as they should be, it was fabulous!).

Overall, a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back.

I'd highly recommend Soban for small to medium sized groups looking to eat on the way out, or looking to experience a classic home-style Korean feast.

2  Thank KstarMelbourne
Reviewed 13 May 2016

Little Korean secret in Oakleigh which is otherwise inundated with greek & euro cafe culture. Love frequenting here since discovering it in my backyard only recently despite it being here for a very long time. My fav is the Bento box (chicken) served with soup and kimchi. Without fail my other winter fav Soon Doo Boo - soft bean curd stew with seafood & egg- comes with a bowl of rice and 4 kim chi all for $13.
I have not ventured to try anything else! Mid week prices are less than weekend. Friendly service with the usual same young ladies. Tip - if you do go with a few people, make sure to ask for separate kim chi servings. They tend to give you the same quantity be it one or two. Sometimes - the bento box side smaller offering varies. Very tasty, very popular with Asians, healthy with no oily residue & salty msg taste that you get with chinese takeaways.

Reviewed 7 May 2015 via mobile

I'm no expert in Korean food. I think this would be a rather home-styled type restaurant. We ordered dumplings, bibimbap, 3 hot pots - herbal chicken type dish with bones soft enough to eat, a kimchi soup and a seafood soup which seemed to have a similar base to the kimchi. I've no idea what any of the hot pot dishes are called. They were all ok, above average I'd say, except for the bibimbap which was just average so it should be an overall 3.5 star, not 4. The service was very pleasant so I rated it up to 4. It's a cash only place.

Reviewed 5 March 2015

So not a big eater of Korean food, and only found this place by surprise as its away from the hustle and bustle of the main Oakleigh cafe strip. However, a colleague took me here for lunch one day and I've ended up going back 3 times in a week! The lunch menu is amazingly cheap and the serving sizes are just massive for what you pay. Haven't been able to finish a single meal and the service is so quick and friendly. Also, this restaurant introduced me to corn tea which is a complimentary, and boy is it good!

1  Thank MitchfromMelbourne