“Very enjoyable lunch in a beautiful setting. ”

Hentley Farm Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2023

Excellent meal, faultless service. Thoroughly recommend wine tasing beforehand. Our go to special occasion lunch venue in the Barossa.

Date of visit: October 2023

Reviewed 23 September 2023 via mobile

Thank you Ingrid for taking us on a wonderful wine experience. The ambience of the cottage was picture perfect. This is an experience you much add to your “to do” list whilst in SA.

Date of visit: September 2023
Reviewed 24 July 2023

I have waited some 3 weeks to write this review. My experience was just awful. In my opinion, the people at Hentley Farm appear to need customer service training as well as some training around proper food management and Duty of Care.

It was supposed to be a wonderful 27th wedding anniversary lunch. We flew to South Australia to celebrate and my husband wrote to Hentley Farm in advance asking if they could cater to my dietary requirements. I am allergic to shellfish. The email exchange prior to booking assured us this would be no issue so we booked.

On arrival we were seated in the entrance hall and told we couldn't go to our table yet. So we were offered water or a drink. As we were going to do a paired wine with lunch we declined the drink! Some 30 minutes later we were asked if we would like to have a pre-lunch drink at the bar. Again we declined as we had selected the wine pairing. 10 minutes later we were taken to a beautiful dining area and commenced lunch. With no wine to be seen for the next 30 minutes! Eventually we managed to ask someone to please bring one of the paired wines as we had been at the restaurant for nearly an hour and we were celebrating (or trying to). It was amusing to watch the wait staff avoid eye contact during this time so we really did feel like we had to wave them into action. After a little "confusion" at the back of the room, someone brought the wine.

I can say the food I had was very very tasty and the paired wines were interesting and well paired - for the price we paid they needed to be!

When we initially sat down I said to the waitress that I was allergic to shellfish and when she asked I stated I was anaphylactic (in fact I joked -as I usually do -that I would prefer not to die during the meal). It was all going superbly and we had enjoyed many of the courses until I had an anaphylactic reaction. I ended up outside lying on the boardwalk in the rain. Staff at Hentley evidently ran around with a first aid kit which really is no use. I was very ill (no further details as it's extremely unpleasant but you can google it). And my husband took care of me (yes I do carry an epipen), eventually getting me to the car and back to our accommodation. Needless to say it wasn't a very nice way to end the afternoon and it certainly ruined any celebration as well as the rest of the weekend.

I eat out a lot. And I manage my allergy by being very upfront about it and never eating anything that's a "maybe". The last time I had this kind of unpleasant experience was years ago.

A courtesy follow-up phone call, to someone who had been that unwell in your establishment, wouldn't have been a big ask - we heard nothing.
My dear husband is such a gentleman he paid the $750 lunch bill - I can assure you I wouldn't have had I been coherent.

Following our return home my husband emailed and later spoke to the manager of the restaurant. He was told she was away at the time (I wonder who was running the place?) and she was unaware that I had been ill as nobody had mentioned it. Someone who ate at the restaurant and then was so unwell that they ended up lying in the rain wasn’t worth a mention to the manager? She asked for our address to send "a gift to further express my personal apologises". That was nearly 3 weeks ago and we are still waiting.
Last week someone from Hently called and said the manager had asked her to make contact. She asked my husband if he wanted to be booked into the restaurant! So clearly there are some internal communication issues that go beyond just ensuring you don't kill your guests.
Memorable for all the wrong reasons. Disappointing in so many ways.

Date of visit: June 2023
9  Thank Lara S
Reviewed 3 July 2023 via mobile

What an incredible experience hosted by David. David went above and beyond to give us the full Hentley farm experience and it was unforgettable . You step back in time when you come to this magical place & the wine is another story … not to be missed. Get it on your bucket list.

Date of visit: July 2023
Reviewed 27 May 2023

This lunch was as good as I have experienced anywhere in Australia. The food and paired wines absolutely stunning. Service impeccable. Nothing could be faulted!

Date of visit: May 2023