Hotels.com
Go to your Happy Price
Jemma L

Holiday

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 15 Apr 2021
I never write reviews unless they are really great and then we will post positivity because we know how hard it is to be a business owner. However, this place is shocking and by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I've stayed all over Australia, America and Vanuatu. I would beg my friends and family not to visit this place because I would be concerned if they were so feel obligated to share our experience with other travelers.
The owners are extremely rude and the owner Kim is a bully and personally messaged me very rude remarks after I mentioned that I was concerned about the service we were receiving. Instead of trying to help make our experience a more pleasurable one she said that we can leave and stay somewhere else but we had paid in full and they were not willing to refund our money.
Upon checking in we were not greeted and were sent to the wrong room upon entering were told it was the wrong room and to go into room 5 which we did. Upon entering there was mould in the bathroom and public hair all over the bathroom sink. They are called a bed & breakfast but we're not offered breakfast. We were also not given shampoo or conditioner. They do not service your room including making your bed, providing clean towels or emptying your bins it is expected that you do this yourself even after paying $180 a night I would think they would at least provide clean towels and toiletries.
Once I questioned about the cleanliness and breakfast that is when the owner was very unprofessional and personally contacted me. The plates and cutlery they provide are also dirty and I found dried food on the plates it is expected that guests wash these themselves in the bathroom sink and it is clear that they don't go over them to clean it once the guest has left.
The disappointing thing is that the hotel has amazing potential it is in a great location. Also Kangaroo island is such a beautiful place. Everyone else on the island and all the tours, farms, wineries and experiences were run by such beautiful and kind hearted people which is what had me so shocked.

I'm not sure how they have had such good reviews in the past but perhaps they are going through some stuff but until something is done about the service or the attitude of the owners I highly recommend staying clear of the place.
Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    AU$199
0.1 km from Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island
  • Agoda.com
0.4 km from Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island
So evocative as we look across the water and see that it’s unspoilt by human habitation
Vio.com
      8.9 km from Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island
        AU$154
      16.0 km from Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island
      View more hotels in American River
      All reviews kangaroo island kim balcony views sunrise glimpse bay ferry
      Selected filters
      Reviewed 1 March 2021

Stayed for 2 nights with some friends, make sure you eat at the restaurant, great choices & value for money. They have a swimming pool, bbq, pool table, all rooms have large balconies to beautiful views of the water & wildlife.

Room tip: Access for wheelchairs would be challenging at this hotel
      Date of stay: February 2021
      2  Thank Michelle B
      Reviewed 25 November 2020

Wanderers Rest is a great place to stay. Steve picked me up from the airport and things proceeded in a a warm genuinely friendly manner for the rest of my stay. The room was comfortable and had a veranda where I could watch the bird life especially the endangered glossy black cockatoo which I saw every day while sitting on the veranda.
      The food was so good. One night as I was the only guest (as Covid continues to make it impact felt) they asked if I would mind having dinner in my room. That was fine by me. They were happy to cook whatever I wanted. I said some seafood so they prods sumptuous array of hot and cold seafood with a salad. I gave it my best shot but couldn’t fit it all in. Their restaurant produced wonderful food and great service. I’m so glad I chose to stay there

Date of stay: November 2020
      Trip type: Travelled solo
      Reviewed 9 October 2020 via mobile

Hostess Kim made my daughter feel very welcome which was an insight into the relaxed ambience and good, unobtrusive service.... great sized portions, first time my partner couldn’t finish her meal.... the squid was mouth watering.... worth the visit.....it may be out of the way for some but try this place.... top notch

Date of stay: October 2020
      Trip type: Travelled with family
      Reviewed 13 September 2020

What a lovely spot to stay. Clean and comfortable with a balcony looking across American River. We had dinner in the restaurant on 3 nights and had beautifully presented and very tasty meals each time. A friendly family run business and we will certainly stay again.

Date of stay: September 2020
      Reviewed 5 March 2020 via mobile

This place was my favourite of our trip in Australia!
      Nice room with a balcony, stunning views from the room and from the restaurant.
      Kim, the owner, was very helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay from good to great.
      We had dinner at the restaurant, the food was divine. Tasty and refined. Well done Carrie.

I will recommend this place to everyone.
      American River is the place to be!
      Stunning and easy access to everywhere!

Date of stay: March 2020