All reviewswood firehot spatable tennisbush walkingtennis courtsbbq areashort drivegreat facilitieswallabiesyabbiescabinmaitlandbushwalkingoptusretreatdamsensuite
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Five months previously my husband booked the romance package 2 nights in a one bedroom spa lodge which included two 1/2 hour massages, 2c dinner for two one night and breakfast each day costing $750. On arrival my husband was told that the spa in our spa lodge was not working and there was nobody to fix it. It was then suggested perhaps we could return another weekend instead. After taking 5 months to organise a babysitter this was not an option. He was then offered a lunch food hamper as compensation. We had already brought with us any additional food so we also declined this offer. We were then offered $50 refund for the weekend which we felt we had to accept. We were told nothing else could be done so we went to the lodge. We were excited to see the lovely view and discovered what we thought was an indoor spa bath and thought ok that will be fine only to discover it was an old spa that had been covered over and not in use anymore. We decided to return to reception to see if they could do anything else for us. I asked if there was any way we could be moved to another lodge. We were told no others were available. Finally we were offered use of a spa at another lodge (which apparently had water problems). We accepted and appreciated at least being able to use a spa, but having to drive several minutes to the other lodge each time we wanted to use it and return wet (in late May) certainly wasn't the spa experience we had booked.
The dinner wasn't restaurant quality, although nice it was more like Bistro food. We enjoyed the plentiful buffet breakfast on Sunday morning, but on Monday we were given a breakfast basket instead (they don't open for breakfast on Mondays??). This was nowhere near the quality or quantity available at the buffet breakfast and even included children's 'poppers' for juice.
We also tried to play pool one day and discovered that that too was broken. We reported this to reception and again there was nothing that could be done. Nobody even bothered to come and have a look!
The location was lovely with beautiful views, good walking trails and the massage was wonderful. However our overall experience was not good. The price we paid did not reflect the quality/service we received. Very disappointing. We had looked forward to a romantic getaway which we only get a chance to do once a year.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aleluc255325
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Aleluc255325
Yes we understand we did not fully meet your expectations and please accept our sincere apologies. The turbo spa in your lodge had just been fully serviced the week before at a cost exceeding $2000 when a fault was discovered after the departure of the previous guests on the day of your arrival the Resort Manager commenced making calls to your mobile phone and left messages on your message bank. The aim was to explain the situation and look at some options including a visit at another time. Unfortunately equipment does break down and being in a remote regional area service calls by specialist technicians only occur Monday to Friday and in this case the small part which caused the problem had to be secured from the manufacturers in Melbourne thus requiring a second service call. All the offers of compensation including complementary BBQ hamper late check-out and the exclusive use of a turbo spa at another lodge which was offline for maintenance plus a mutually agreed financial refund were offered. The Resort Manager spoke to you again at breakfast and you suggested you expressed satisfaction then later on Sunday you reported you had a problem operating the pool table maintenance subsequently reported on Monday they could find no problem operating the pool table, We hope you will consider returning in the future and please contact me personally so I can extend an offer of further compensation.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I'd been a little wary after reading some of the reviews, but I shouldn't have worried. From the minute we arrived at reception, until the time we were checking out...perfection. We had a glass of champagne when we checked in, and were given a gorgeous box of choccies and another bottle of champagne to have in our cabin
Our cabin was The Gallery and it was lovely. Clean and spacious with the most breathtaking view. The kitchen had all the things we needed. Our spa was undercover so the rain was not a bother at all. We watched the sun come up, from the spa with Kangaroos right near us. The breakfast was simple, but delicious. Fresh fruit, porridge and fresh yogurt, all little extras. Our dinner on Saturday night was amazing. The staff were friendly and helpful, the service was fast and the food was delish. It's a romantic setting, but not over the top fancy. We both felt very comfortable in jeans. Our massages were heaven.
I would not hesitate to come back, both with the kids and again as a romantic weekend. Thanks so much for everything. It really was just what we needed. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in The Gallery. Spacious, amazing views, spa, fire. Heaven.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank missK1977
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Hi missK1997
What a delight to read your review our team will be so excited to share this also glad you took advantage of many of the attractions and facilities especially the Bistro and the Massage & Facial Centre we do look forward to welcoming you back both as a family and for another romantic weekend.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed at Eaglereach last weekend and had a fabulous time. We arrived late, after driving from Queensland it was about 7.45 when we arrived and even although reception close time was 7pm there was still a receptionist waiting to check us in with a friendly smile and a complimentary glass of bubbles.

Our room was spacious and clean with a very comfy king sized bed, black and white ensuite with really modern round hand basin and everything you could think of to make our stay enjoyable.
Good sized TV, mini bar and even a microwave.

We had a hot breakfast in the Bistro which came as a lovely surprise because as well as having all the normal fresh fruits, Toasts, bacon, eggs, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes’ and mushrooms the English chef had made porridge with spicy fruits which was just right for the chilly mountain air.

We walked the many trails and saw an amazing variety of birds however it was the Kangaroo’s and Wallaby’s that stole the day. The native animals are in abundance at Eaglereach and so good to see them in their natural habitat and all looking so healthy and strong. After our walk we had a massage and then back to our room for a hot spa and couldn’t resist a small nap.

We went to the Bistro for dinner and enjoyed having our first glass of red in front of the open fire. Our meal was excellent, well cooked and inexpensive. We each had two courses which cost $86.

We will be returning to Eaglereach and next time will take some friends and may even take advantage of one of their 3 night packages. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: They all seem pretty good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Clayton B
Great news you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of all the exclusive Eaglereach Wilderness Resort facilities and attractions from the welcome "glass of bubbly" at Check-in to the massage in the Massage & Facials Centre. Of course the self guided nature walks and the abundance of native wildlife including rain forest birds kangaroos and wallabys and now the cute spotted quolls. Yes the bistro is a delight commencing with the wide range of buffet options at breakfast as you listed to the house made delight created by our good food loving chef for breakfast Saturday lunch and 5 nights a week plus all the takeaway options. . We look forward to welcoming you back and will pass onto our team your very supportive review.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Its a shame a place with such potential could be so awful. My boyfriend took me here on a surprise getaway and I felt so bad that is was a bit of a disaster. After a fun, windy drive up the mountain to the resort we were hurridly greeted by a woman who was closing up for the night. We asked where the bistro was for some dinner and told we needed to book as they were flat out so it's unlikely(it would have been an hours drive back to a town to get anything else) but we could "try get something but don't say I sent you". As we walked into the bistro we were literally yelled out saying "don't shut the door, it fell on the boss today". We were seated in the half empty restaurant. The night only kept going down hill when i asked if anything was gluten free... I was questioned as to whether I was 'really' gluten free (followed by her life story including how her friends broke both of someones legs in high school in defence of her gluten intolerant friend) and that I should come early for breakfast as there was only 4 slices of gluten free bread left. She was probably the worst waitress I have ever had. The food was that of a very basic pub meal (think frozen battered fish and sloppy vegetarian suprise dish) but with the price of a top quality restaurant. Absolutely awful. We got to our room which was ok quality (minus the out of date chips and a king bed that was obviously 2 singles... the split down the middle was a mood killer) and were awoken at 7am by guests chatting and smoking outside our window... not by the chirping of nature. The included breakfast was your standard 'out of a can' breaky. Massages and the buggy were already booked out but the nature walks were quite nice. We were given fresh towels but our bed wasn't made nor were we given fresh tea cups. The outdoor spa was nice if you dont look behind you into the dirty bare underneath of the building. We chose to drive over an hour into cessnock so we could atleast have one nice dinner/meal(it was lovely) and bought some snacks for the rest of our stay. Really was a complete let down for a place that has a unique location and promised experience. Some of the staff were nice and the weather was lovely- the only upside. I truely wouldn't recommend this out-dated resort to anyone. If you do go my only reccomendations would be bring your own food and pre book all your activities.

• Stayed: May 2013
9  Thank ARosse
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Dear ARosse
After the last two reviews one could easily assume you stayed somewhere else. I did notice this is the first accommodation house be it a guesthouse motel hotel or resort that you have ever reviewed and instead you have specialised in reviewing a series of one city eateries. I could spend a lot of space challenging many of your criticisms such as the comfort of the Hollywood interlocking beds which are found in fine establishments worldwide to the quality of the food including the many house made delicacies created by our internationally experienced chef who just loves good food. Both the Resort Manager and I were on duty all during your stay and none of these complaints were raised during your stay. The Resort is judged annual by AAA and is 4 star accredited.
The kindest response I can make is to comment you were in the wrong place staying in a wilderness resort. If you choose to make contact with us we wish to make an offer of compensation as an act of goodwill.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

After reading some of the reviews on trip advisor I was in two minds about booking . Some of the negative feedback had me confused ! Having seen the many adverts in " Holidays for Couples" I decided to take the risk and book . Well what a surprise !! We arrived in pouring rain and had to drive the fairly windey road up to the top of the mountain, a bit hairy but we arrived intact
We were offered a glass of champagne on arrival and given the keys to out cottage named "Bilby"
Well it was far from what I had expected. Modern clean and we were lucky and had the whole cottage to ourselves. 3 large bedrooms with 3 bathrooms The Spa outside was the icing on the cake Even in the pouring rain We went to the restuarant that night ,it was nice club style food,
We decided we would get a pizza Yum ! A BBQ hamper and Picnic hamper for the meals for the next 2 nights the restuarant was closed . As that was one of the negatives that I had read about ,the fact that it was closed on Sunday and Monday nights , but it didn't bother us we had brought along a few additional food items which we cooked up in our lovely little kitchen Fully equipped and for us more romantic .Don't forget your own Wine cheese and bickies
We woke each morning to a spectaculur view .We had kangaroos on our deck . Totally Tranquil
We hired bikes and played tennis all excellent . I couldn't fault the resort . Apparently each cottage is styled differently. I would highly recommend the Bilby if it is available.
I am so glad I took a chance and ignored some of the silly comments I had read . I loved my stay at Eaglereach
Thankyou Lee Doyle and all the staff for making our stay Special

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
HunterCooee, General Manager at Eaglereach Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Hi Ozzierob
Thank you for making the effort to review the Resort following your recent stay. You have covered many aspects of the Resort which we appreciate from the quality of the lodge to the spa the Bistro with the wide variety of takeways available including the BBQ hampers and pizzas. Plus the complementary activities and equipment from kayaks to bicycles internet kiosk DVD library not forgetting the sparkling white wine welcome. It was also a relief to our team that you made comment that you choose to ignore "some of the silly comments " you had read in other reviews on this site. We look forward to welcoming you back.