“Good Memories”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
A TripAdvisor Member
Stirling
Reviewed 19 May 2006

I went to this resort with my fiancee Matthew from Dec 27th to jan 3rd. It was better than I expected I was scared from reading all the bad reviews! But we got there and met some really cool people and just enjoyed our time in cuba. The only thing I didn't like about it was the food cause i'm a picky eater, I think I lost about five pounds while I stayed there but thats ok cause I looked cuter in my bikini!! I loved the pizza and the rum there is sooo good! Sandra from the entertainment group is fantastic!! And I highly recommend you go on the catamaran 8 hr day trip it was my favourite day there!! I would recommend this hotel to anybody, the service was great!

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,043)

Reviewed 19 May 2006

Water safety was misleading. Therefore my children and my husband were very sick. My daughter was hospitalized, my son got 2 antibiotic shots and my husband was on antibiotics. I had stomach cramps for 2 days until I switch to bottle water.

No bottled water was available in our room or the hotel Facilities (Restaurants, Cafes and Bars) One bottle was in the fridge and the staff told us to refill it at the bar or the Buffet Restaurant. A sign was posted in the washroom indicated that water was drinkable and staff from Buffet and Bars indicated to us water was safe.
We never drank the Tap water but drank the water from buffet because we were told it was filtered and drinkable. We arrived healthy on Saturday and on Tuesday the whole family was sick. I complained to the hotel that something was not sanitary at the resort and my family got sick. They offer to pay for medical expenses and my daughter was hospitalized. They gave us juice and bottled water and told us not to eat greasy and hard to digest food. I didn't know about the water at the time, and when we were at the buffet my son drank the water and immediately started to vomit. The staff (nurse and waiter) told us that we should not drink the water. We were shock since we thought the bottle water was only for the room and the water at the restaurant and bar was safe. Then we realized that the water was contaminated. When our water bottle supplies were finished we asked for more water and they told us they will only provide us with one bottle per days for our family of 4 for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank mof2Toronto
Reviewed 17 May 2006

We just returned from a week at the TRYP (May 5-12) and were thoroughly impressed. Having been to Cuba before I can vouch for the fact that the food at the TRYP is above normal standards. Each day William made our breakfast & lunch meals very enjoyable. He is a very hard worker and treated us so well.
We were not very impressed with any of the a la carte food except at the Chinese restaurant. Hard to believe that Chinese food could be so good in Cuba!
Although the food at the Cuban restaurant was not very good, the atmosphere was fantastic. What really made our evening at the Cuban restaurant was our server, Lidi. She normally works in the buffet but was taking someone's place the evening we were in the Cuban restaurant. What a FANTASTIC lady! She was so funny and friendly. A definite asset to the hotel.
The beach was gorgeous and quite clean.
We got a wristband from the front desk which allowed us to go to the Sol Cayo Guillermo to use their facilities for the day which was great. The pool area at the Sol Cayo Guillermo was beautiful and the water in the pool was much cooler and more refreshing than the water in the pool at the TRYP. We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant and the food was very good. The only strange thing was seeing the black birds walk through and feed on the rice when the tin foil blew off. I was glad we had already finished eating by the time that happened!
The only disturbing incident was that the person at the front desk neglected to tell us that we needed to have our passports with us in order to get more Canadian money at the bank so our trip to the bank was a wasted one.
We had a fantastic time on this vacation not only because of the hotel but because our best friends from England met us at the TRYP and we shared another wonderful vacation together.

Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank hlr45
Reviewed 17 May 2006

I stayed at the Tryp from March 26th to April 2nd 2006 and overall, I had a wonderful week.

BEACH

The beach was nice but there was lot of jelly fish (maybe because it was so windy and lot of waves). Lot of seeweeds too but of course, the hotel is not responsible for that.

POOLS

Nice main pool, very large with activities during the day and a bar on the pool. There is a smaller pool which is quieter. If you want a chair around the pool, go put you towel very soon on it unless there won’t be any left!

FOOD

Very good, the buffet was nice, lot of choice… pastas, grilled fish, chicken, beef, etc., salads and wine is served at every meal. You have 2 à la carte diner for a 7 days stay. I tried the Loma Azul on the same building as the lobby. It was very nice, I had the fish and my boyfiend ordered the steak. There diner are 5 services and served with wine. We tried the little Cuban house (don’t remember the name), it was very good too, typical cuban cuisine and good service for both restaurant. The service was ok at the cafeteria too but not as good.

At the pool bar during the day, there are hot-dogs, hamburgers, french fries and ice cream. The Picua is a good choice at lunch time, there is different choices every day plus à la carte menu. But for lunch time, the best is the pizza! The Barcaza is a pizzeria at lunch time and you must go there at least one! You’ll go back for sure!

And you have to try the donoughts at the lobby! They are so good!

ROOMS

Nice, clean, the beach view ones are ok but not worth the price. There was a small fridge and a coffee maker, which we didn’t try.

ANIMATION

Lot of activities all day long: volley-ball, aqua workout, dance lessons, spanish class, show every night, even Bingo!The only thing I have to say is that one night at the show, people are doing lyp sync (which is ok) but they don’t even know the lyrics…. There is a discotheque La Vida Loca, which has good music, latin and popular.

You have to be aware of the fact that the minute you go out of the hotel, there is NOTHING to do on Cayo Coco.

Don’t give tip to employees in YOUR local currency because they can’t excange it. Just convertible Cuban pesos.

They rent bicycle but they are very old!

The gym is not very nice.

There are tennis courts so bring your racket!

You can buy souvenirs at kiosks near the cafeteria.

Ask for a Blue Coco at the bar, a three color drink, very good!

Overall, a very nice experience!

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank Dailefine
Reviewed 16 May 2006

I went to tryp Cayo Coco with family and duaghters close freinds May 7-14 2006.

The Tryp resort has a large white sandy beach and the place itself is large. It was very hot down there concidering I went there in May. I got sun burnt the very first day; my fault for not using sun screen the first day.
There a man who drives by in his little veicle singing COCONUT!! I paid 2.5 pecos for a drink which he cut off the top of the coconut with a machette and fills it up with pop and rum UMMMM! The coconut is so fresh there.

PS. 1 pecos = 1.25 canadian
There are no interact machines and they dont ake us money. You can change your money at the cayo coco airport. IF you run out of cash u can go to Blau colonial or the resort on your left side for exchaning visa credit to pecos.

My daughter went parasailing(40 pecos) , she loved being up high and seeing the island. We went cayaking, catamaran (42 pecos)and snorkling. Wear lots of lotion , the sun is very hot this time of year. The pool are was very big, like 4-5 sections joined together separated by walls. very nice. I didn't go to the pool bar section cause i heard by my daughter some people actually peed in that section of the pool area. Stay away from the bar pool.

Entertainment was great fron dancing to music. I love the outfits the dancers wore. I even bought a few clothes and some custom jewlery. You are alowed 750$ per person per week to claim at the airport without being penalized.

The only people that live on the Island are the staff. I was not on the main land of Cuba. The staff work hard for cheap wages so i tipped to the best of my capability and left small gifts ( that you can buy from the dollar store). You have to go across a bridge. I did not leave the island. We went to a farm to see some intresting vegitation ; a prvate beach "Flamingo beach"very quiet. Also we went to a Bat cave Spooky but harmless.(12 pecos)

Don't foget to feed the fish bananas or bread.

For the young partiers if u want to go to the bat cave on wednesdays for the danse party. It cost 10 pecos for admission and 3 to get the bust to take u there but it doesn't come back till 2am to take u back to the resort.

I seen lots of crabs fish birds and lizards. I enjoyed watching the Flamingos nipping each other's beaks. ha ha ha! The peacocks sounds like cats meowing. the gardener made hats and figures out of the green palm tree plants. They work hard.

Overall I would rate this 3 out of 5 for travel. Why because I've been to better. If you don't mind a little smelly algae a few broken tiles and average food then go to this resort. Aside from a few flaws I had a great time!!
Building no. 5 is still under repairs.

Don't forget 25 pecos for air tax to return home!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
2.8 km away
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!