TRYP Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 hotels in Cayo Coco
2 km
6,073 results
All reviewsquiet poolfishguest servicesmain poolpizza placea la carte restaurantslobby barbbq grillpastahour barocean viewpizza barsmaller poolinternational restaurantstir frybeautiful beachentertainment staff
FilterAll languages
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed 31 July 2005

Went the first week of April 2005, and just had an awesome time! The weather was fabulous (rained only 5 minutes the whole week), and the atmosphere awesome!
The flight from Montreal was right on time. Watched a movie on the way, had a light breakfast, and the whole flight went by pretty fast.
When we landed, all we could see around us was swamp land, and little bushes here and there. It was not a very pretty sight; we were wondering where all the palm trees and white sand was?! A bus brought us to the resort, and it was just beautiful there! Cactuses, flowers, all sorts of different trees, just gorgeous! The check in went quickly, 15 minutes and we were on our way to our oceanview room. The view from the balcony was so great! The room was tidy, clean, and spacious. They even had one of those little "bidet" in the washroom, pretty neat to see one!
The beach was fabulous. It was clean, no weeds, just miles of fine white sand. Lots of room too on the beach, it was not crowded at all.
The food was good. The buffet was a bit repetitive, but we could always find something good to eat. The A LA CARTE restaurants were the best! We went to the Italian, the Seafood and the International. All were really good, the meals were excellent, and the service was exceptionnal. We went to all the shows. They were a lot of fun, the atmosphere was great, and the host was very good too, especially with the kids. The music they played at the shows, and throughout the days was good too; by the end of the week, we could almost sing along!
The staff was friendly, and polite. We met and became friends with some of them, Steve & Ivan. They were fun to hang out with, and boy could they dance!! They put on a show at the disco one night, MY GOD, they were amazing!!!
We also went to a virgin beach, 15 min drive from the resort. It's called Flamingo Beach, and there was a little hut there. A man served us grilled lobster, and vegetables for lunch. Best lobster I have ever had! They also had their little puppy running around there, CiCi is it's name.
Went for a day trip to Moron. That was something to see. It is sooo much different in town, than on the resort. You have no idea how poor these people are, until you take a trip like that into town. When we got back, we made sure to tip the workers for their work, we're sure they appreciated it a lot, after seeing where most of them lived. They work crazy days, 18 hrs a day, and travel back to the city (1hr drive each way).
All in all, the trip was excellent. We had an awesome time, and are looking forward to going back, for 2 weeks, next year! I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: April 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2005

My family and i are still here and we go home tommorrow , thanks god ,this place is only suitable for a one week stay.After that you start to se what the problems are .I had spoke to other people while here and they had noticed the same.By the way we came to Cuba 3 years ago and it was totally different.
1. Excursions are absolutely poor , Colourful Cuba trip from our hotel is a day of whistlestop drop offs , in places that are not ready. The visit to the crocodile farm , see crocs buy a drink and go to next stop , sugarcane museum , joke half the stuff been took to working sugarcane factorys and you are expected to watch a video on it , then a trip on a steam train to get your dinner , typical cuban quisine and its outside , loads of flies , then over to Moron , as soon as you get off coach , begging begins for cash , a quick cart ride round the town , then your driver wants tips , Half an hour to wander round the Dirty town and more begging , shops are full of crap. No cigar house to buy from , oh yes you you have to buy legit cigars from Hotel and produce receipt of purchase or they are confescated at airport o0n departure. Then back on coach to listen to Cuban music in a cuban Bar , guess what more tipping .Then out to the freshwater lake for a boat trip of 15 mins and get bit by the mossys to hell in the mango ,then more tips.Then back to hotel on coach , dont forget to tip the driver .

What a joke , we paid over 100 quid for this and it was crap....

Then the Catamaran , another 120 quid gone for a mystery tour with the engine running all the way , no sails were put up .We stopped just short of a lighthouse and that was it ,we had dinner and then motored back , oh yes we got to swim in the coral reef , big deal the cayo coco is one big coral reef , we wanted to feel the wind our hair and listen to the ocean as we sailed .Not listent to the engine vibrate through my backside for 5 hours.

shortage of glsses in hotel , maids dont make the fancy swans out of your towels anymore , no clue of what drinks / cocktails to order as there is no menus , Guess , guess , .The staff are few and far between and just look miserable .

Whats going on ?

Anyway bye for now Cuba

Stayed: July 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 July 2005

I absolutely love this hotel!
I have been there 5 times now.
I read the reviews of some people. I agree taht it is not an "American 4 star hotel". But the service was fantastic: the people are extremely nice and courteous. They went to great lengths to make sure we enjoyed our stay. The beach is absolutely amazing every time. The view from the rooms is breath-taking.
I recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank dlandr2
Pefferlaw, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I just read the review entitled "Great Vacation".
My daughter and I booked a last minute vacation to Hotel Tryp a few years
ago and hopefully the Hotel has not changed a great deal. The gardens and main entrance of the Hotel were so beautiful with small shops drawing
tourists' attention and a breath-taking view of the pool area.
The staff at the Tryp were so warm and friendly and never once did I feel
pressured for any extra gratuities. Yes, I suppose the rooms were not
fancy but very clean and basically what we had expected. I was very impressed with the Hotel security and have never felt more safe than at
this resort. There were nightly stage shows performed, the first part of the show being for children before the adult entertainment started.
The first day of our arrival at the Tryp, my daughter and I decided to go to
the pool area after breakfast. During the next few days, we met over a
dozen other tourists from all walks of life. We became good friends over the course of the week and still keep in touch with them.
We dined out at the different restaurants every night (unlike our original
plan) and could not believe the excellent food. I am not sure if there has been a price increase at these restaurants over the past few years but there
was only one restaurant over $20.00 U.S. The others were $15.00 and we
always left a $5.00 tip. (Has anyone found any excellent restaurants in
Toronto which serve a steak dinner and drinks for under $20.00?)
A group of us rented several paddle boats and went scuba diving and some
of the younger ones went on the banana boat.
There are poolside games played during the day and most of us could not
resist the pool exercises.....I am sure it was the music and not the
instructors which enticed us into this!
We took the train ride around the resort which stopped at different restaurants, the disco, shops and the scenic "bar" tower.
Would we go back to Hotel Tryp? In a heartbeat.
As the couple from Montreal discovered, it is a resort for every age group
for fun and leisure. My best advise for tourists staying at the Tryp is to
mix with others and have the most enjoyable week ever.

• Stayed: March 2003
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2005

I have just returned from a one week family vacation at Tryp: July 10-17th, 2005. So this is "fresh from the oven" at least for the next little while...

After spending the last 2 months reading reviews from this site, I promised myself to put in my observations upon my return.

If you are about to visit Tryp in the near future and you have absolutely no idea what to expect after reading the many contradictory reviews, great positive (5) and negative (1), let me tell you why you might experience something in between (say a 3) during your stay.

First the July Weather:

Please disregard all these pessimistic weather websites which forecasted many Thunderstorms or cloudy days during our stay: 7 gorgeous sunny days even with 2 hurricanes in the neighborhood ! No different than our local news !

We arrived a day or so after Hurricane Dennis had gone through Cuba. Our Air Canada flight was on time and the runway and the surroundings at the airport were amazingly well kept. I was very surprised to see so many young children on the flight. We left as Hurricane Emily was going by; not a hint of trouble. As we say in French: "chacun son tour !" ....good luck Cancun !

Everyone will agree that the airport and the short trip to the hotel is a feature that attracts many to this site.
When you leave, do not get confused about the fact that prior to crossing the final "Cuban" gate there is a bank outlet and a store where you check your baggage in. Beyond that final gate, there are plenty of gift shops (liquor and cigar), food outlets as well as an exchange counter where you can buy your final gift and "part" with your convertible pesos. I still managed to leave with 10 pesos when we rushed to the tarmac when we got the call to board.....

Like many reported, our rooms were ready upon our arrival at noon: 2 rooms on the second floor with a connecting door in between; one for my wife and I and one for the kids, 12 and 14. Again, the reports on the cleanliness are accurate but the rooms show wear and tear. Same for the linen, clean but very used. Tip :do not bring beach towels like we did as you can get and change daily hotel beach towels from a small hut near the main pool.

As for the rooms, I'll spare you all the small mishaps but this would in part explain why most would agree with a 3 to 3.5 rating instead of the 4. No bugs crawling to report, no mildew smell but I was in building 9 which was said to have been newly renovated. Our main floor was still being overhauled at a "crawling" speed.

Like Canada, some people like their jobs and others simply don't.
Since all the employees either live in Moron or Ciego da Avila, an hour and 1hr and a half from Tryp respectively, I can understand why some do not have an easy smile after a 10-hr day. Problem is: most will pay good dollars for their stay and expect the "smile" as a given in the hotel business.
I can only report that I did not see any employee being ignorant with the guest but I saw far too many guests rudely ask for their drinks or food without a please or thank you !

Upon arrival, waste no time finding the location of the Pizza "Hut" (north on the beach) and the Grill "hut" for amazing lunches. After reading the many reviews on this site, I also booked the International and the Italian restaurant for our 2 "a la carte" choices: it pays to read reviews because they were both our best meals.
Buffet Hall for breakfast is very comparable to what we have here at home, again follow the tips: grab your coffee from the 24 hr Bar before going to breakfast.
Speaking of the 24 hr Bar, those "often-reported" ham and cheese sandwiches were very good; they are flat and lightly toasted, hot and they had many takers throughout the day.

So the Buffet is not the greatest dining experience but the sooner you discover the 3 "chefs" who will cook you on the spot your choices of seafood, meats and pasta, you will not need to "analyze" the rest of the buffet content. By the way, these guys will cook you a mean omelet or eggs for breakfast. Though my daughter who is a pancake fanatic was not impressed with Mr. Pancakes ! The desserts are uneventful but the ice cream was delicious.

And yes, since that entire main service complex is standing on pillars anchored over a stagnant "lagoon" or "stream", the resulting odor is really unpleasant on your way to the Buffet Hall. Maybe one day the management of Sol Melia Group who owns many similar complexes will spend some R&D money to solve this problem.

Just reviewed the home movies we made over our stay and the 7 shows we saw while we were there all have one thing in common: they really work hard to keep you entertained: MC's DJ's , dancers and band.
Even the 8:30 pm Mini shows for the kids were fun to watch even if our kids were too old to participate. The infamous goodbye chant :" Ciao, ciao Mickey Mouse !" is still ringing in my head ! If you have a cure to get it out of my head, please e-mail

"To tip or not to tip ?"

General comment: a friendly smile, a few Spanish words were greeted in kind; a peso once in a while brought a bigger smile: in both cases, the service was the same. Well, maybe I was served in a glass instead of the small plastic cup but it could have been a coincidence.
Pesos or not, no one "cut" the line since I'm told that waiting in line is Cubans favorite sport after baseball !

We also did what many recommended and stock up on dollar store items. We also brought items we owned but no longer used. I gave hats, sun glasses, jugs, key chains to many different folks who at some point or another smiled, talked or did something for us.

But if you really want them to light up, beef up on your high school Spanish and throw as many "por favor" or "muchas gracias" as appropriate.

Beach, pool:

There is nothing more to say about the beach: simply divine, heaven on earth ! Worth the whole package alone. For having walked on the beachfront of the other resorts nearby, Tryp was spotless, rockless and a notch above the "neighbors".

Pools were extremely hot (da !) and the large pool was too busy so we soon went for the "quiet" pool and made ourselves quite comfortable during our stay with the bar on site.
One feature not often mentioned is the short distance between the pool (s) and the beach. The cool shower stations in between both sites made the transition from one to the other a charm and a refreshing one at that.

Like many mentioned, the resort could use a general face-lift and this would easily justify a 4 star rating.

My advice:

If you have kids and you will not freak out over the odd smells or the cracked or missing tiles broken by thousands of tourist who visit this large complex 365 days a year, you will have a satisfying trip like we experienced.
If you are a young man, woman or couple and want to have a good time, you will find plenty of "mates" from Britain to keep you company, go for it !
But if you expect luxury, spotless settings, skip Tryp and go elsewhere.

Sorry if this review was long but I hope this will close the gap between the 5 and the 1 rating often seen on this site for this resort.

One last comment about mosquitoes...I came ready to fight but never used my repellent. The one or 2 nights they came out to "eat", a huge fumigator was there to greet them. Lousy smell and a bit scary with all the smoke but much better that the bites !

• Stayed: July 2005