“Funny how people think .”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The last time I visited this hotel, it was still combined with the Colonial section.(Now called the Blau Colonial). I have visited Cuba 20 times, and I am sure there will be a 21st. The only thing that kept reminding me that I was in Cuba was the beaches. Everything from the bottom up was fantastic. The food could not have been better, the staff were generally extra polite and actually made you feel that they appreciated your visit to their country.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Robert G
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and loyalty. Hope to meet you in our Hotel on your 21st visit to Cuba.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

thanks to all the people we met this time at the tryp for making it a fantastic holiday. We arrived on the 19th April and stayed for 15 night. The staff are friendly and the manager had arranged a very nice room for us. The flight is long but well worth it. Total relaxation. Heaven!! Will be back next year for a fourth time. If anyone reading this knows Sally Rob and Bens email address please get in touch we have lost it. Ann and Allan Grangemouth

Room Tip: block 8 has excellent sea views
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank christianann

Dear Guest,

It is very nice to know that you have enjoyed your third time here once again. Hope to meet you here on your next visit. Thank you very much.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We went on a family vacation may 1 to 8. 6 of us, myself and husband and 4 young adults. We had 3 rooms. This was our first trip to cuba. The kids had a great time, made tons of friends and enjoyed the pool, beach and disco. They would love to go back to the tryp. There were many positives and some negatives. Positives include the staff, pool, beach and cleanliness. The negatives are the food which is bland and repetitive in the buffet. Three of the six of us had some episodes of diaharia during the week. The biggest negative is the rooms. They are very dated and the bathrooms were really ugly with green chipped and cracked tiles, chipped and stained tubs etc. Of the three rooms only one had air conditioning that really worked. The housekeeping staff did their best to keep the rooms clean but there is only so much you can do! The rooms all had a musty smell. Despite everything we did have a good time. The staff were very friendly and kind. It would have been nice if they had a more adult focused place to go after the nightly show was over besides the disco which was really more suitable for the younger crowd. For my husband and myself we will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

It has been very nice to find your comments here. We consider them very helpful. We will take advantage of them to continue working for improvements. Hope we can still count with your visit once again in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed this resort. Our room was located over by the "quiet" pool, about a 3 or 4 min walk from the main building. It was very peaceful, and we had a great night's sleep every night. Our room had two double large beds that were pushed together, and it felt like a large kind size bed!. The room was pretty clean, and not too run down - AC worked, door locked, etc.
As we were visiting to "get away from it all", we spent most of our time at the beach or by the quiet pool. Didn't have any trouble finding a chair on the beach, but sometimes the pool area could be a tiny bit crowded.
Food was average Cuba-style resort food. Great fish station, and crepe station.
Hilarious resident peacocks roam the resort in search of admirers. They really put on a show - very entertaining. You can also walk over to the mini "farm" where Pepe the goat lives. Grounds are beautiful - gorgeous flowers and the pelican pool was fun to watch.
Beach is gorgeous!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Furaka

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments here. We are glad knowing that you enjoyed your stay here and that it was quite and peaceful. You can see, in our Hotel we have for every kind of guests. If you are looking for peace it is also the right place. Hope to meet you again here.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Hello All!

My very first trip advisor review; I've been lurking for years. Here we go!

I went to Tryp with Air Canada Vacations for around $800 p.p. from Ottawa, with a connection through Montreal. I went with a group of 8 people- 4 couples, including myself, from April 28-May 5, 2012.

I have been to only one resort, in the Dominican Republic when I was 16, and I felt overall this resort surpassed the one I had stayed at before.

BEACH
- Amazing. Breathtaking. Beautiful. I didn't understand the appeal of the whole 'beach vacation' until I came to Tryp. Pretty windy, but it's needed (super hot!)

WEATHER
- Average, sadly :( we had a few days of on-and-off rain at the beginning of the week; though it was still hot, it sucked and the humidity was unpleasant.

FOOD
- I'd have to say the food was pretty good, considering what my expectations were. We tried every restaurant, except for the Cuban one, and I'd have to say my favourites were the Italian, and the Chinese. Buffet is a little repetitive, so I was glad that we'd been upgraded to get several reservations in the restaurants. Lunch in the buffet was great, the pizza bar on the beach was amazing and the grill on the beach was also good.
- TRY THE CHURROS. The cart is open in the evening until 10PM near the 24 hour bar.
- I highly HIGHLY (cannot emphasize this enough) suggest/order you to bringing snacks. Many snacks. Lunch starts late at the main buffet (1PM, I think), and after the buffet closes post-dinner (10PM) you only have access to ham & cheese sandwiches at the 24hr bar. Bring chips, bring granola bars...bring whatever makes you happy..but bring them.
- drinks were okay, but I found they varied a lot depending on the bar you ordered them from. The 24 hour bar had the lowest quality, the beach bar was good, and the bar attached to the Oriental/Italian restaurants was awesome.

ENTERTAINMENT
- I enjoyed the shows when I saw them, there were many contest-type things in the evening.
- not a big disco/club person, but the music was good and there was usually a big crowd.
- I did not see much going on during the day, but to be fair..I was always on the beach! It seemed like there may be activities at the main-pool, as I was approached about a fashion show once, and it seemed as though there was always someone talking on a microphone in that area.

EXCURSIONS
This is where I found trip advisor lacking - I wanted more information on the excursions before I left, to get a good idea of how much $ to bring. I will try to write out as much as I can remember. My excursions were organized through Air Canada Rep on site; however, I suspect the prices are all similar, as well as the offerings.

I went on the Swim with Dolphins excursion, it was $120 CUC and was 8AM-4PM-ish. In a nutshell, you swim in groups of 10-ish with the dolphins for 25mins, it's fairly organized and you don't get any 'free time' swimming with them, but it was fun. You then go to Pilar Beach (so SO nice - nicer than the resort beach, which is definitely saying something) eat a lobster/shrimp/chicken lunch (it was pretty good) with one free drink. You then go back to the resort.
Overall I felt it was worth the money, and if I had known what it was like beforehand, I would have still spent the money and done the trip.

I also went to Ciego de Avelia (town) on a day-trip for $55 CUC per person. I liked it; however, some people in my group thought it was too touristy, rushed, and a bit uninteresting. We first went to a Cigar Factory - it was kind of weird being in there while all the women were working - definitely something to experience, but I don't know if I'd ever visit one again. We then went to a place that played Cuban music - I found this a bit redundant, as we heard more at the lunch, later on. We took a tricycle taxi - I really enjoyed this; the driver was nice, and we got to see a lot of the town; *I would bring a bicycle repair kit as a gift/tip if I was going on this excursion again*. We then went to a silver jewelry store - I didn't like this; it was cramped and I felt like we were all standing there waiting to leave. We then went to lunch - I am not a picky eater, at all..I've eaten some weird and crappy stuff, but this was not good. At all. We were served canned fruit on a plate for dessert...warm melon as an appetizer. I don't know, it was just weird and made my stomach upset for the rest of the trip. You then get free time - not much good shopping to do in town, though ice cream is cheap and delish. We then went to a crocodile farm; pretty in-and-out and not much to see. I really enjoyed the tour guides on both trips; the one on this one answered a ton of questions we had about Cuban life (even 'political' questions and ones about daily life/poverty/etc)

I would probably do the Trinidad trip (a more distinct town, with more to see) if I had to do another day-trip to a town from Cayo Coco, or I'd splurge and try to hunt down a full-day Havana trip <3

Other prices of things that I remember:
Moron Day-trip: 45CUC
Trinidad Day-trip: 80CUC
Deep Sea fishing was EXPENSIVE so don't even think about that unless you want to pay well over $100CUC per person.
There was a jeep excursion, I think it included Moron and the crocodile farm. There was also a jungle-trip where you visit dolphins, snorkel and take a boat ride.
My friends did a half day catamaran for 43(?)CUC (could have been $45) and they liked it; the full day comes with a lobster dinner, but they snorkeled twice on the half day, so I am not sure if you'd need more than that - so I suggest just the half day. It was 8AM-1PM.

STAFF
- Overall the service was good, there were several staff members that went out of their way to be friendly, and remember you (I found a few at the buffet and beach bar very nice!). The check-in staff was also nice, as well as the man who's in charge of quality control.
- we never had the maid in, but they seemed to do a great job in the rooms of other people in our group.
- we saw the manager of the resort many times, walking throughout and checking out the services.
- I had trouble with the staff being a bit too friendly (if you know what I mean...) when I was in the Dominican; I never felt uncomfortable with the staff at Tryp.

ROOM
We stayed in block 10 - room 1065 (our friends were in 1061, 1062, 1063); these were 'ocean view rooms' - not much of an ocean view for any of us except 1062. Location was great - I liked that we were close to the beach and FAR from the disco and 24 hour bar - it can get pretty loud in that area at night.

- they have powerful a/c!
- I didn't have a problem with our room, but our friends' a/c was leaking ALL over the floor and it wasn't pretty/was pretty annoying (the 'drip drip' at all hours)
- some of us got free rum in our rooms, some didn't
- I found the toilet had very little..suction(?) so just be aware you may need to return to keep flushing several times before anything goes down
- There was a rolling power outage the first day we were there; we thought it was just the a/c on a timer, but it was going on and off. No biggie.

RESORT ITSELF
- well-lit at night
- Very Clean
- Well-kept
- Friendly staff
- You must remember that a lot of things are hard to get in Cuba - some things in the rooms and on the resort will be a bit older.
- I always saw security wandering around, and I felt comfortable walking around at night alone (sober, mind you).

THE WHOLE 'DO I BRING GIFTS' THING
I really couldn't understand the whole idea of gifts before I went, and I did not want to make a mistake or insult someone, so I just brought money for tipping. I think next time, I would bring some gifts, and also tip money.
I am going to try to explain this as best I can...when I was in town, I saw the markets that the Cubans themselves shop at. They do have the basic things that we have (shoes, makeup, clothes, etc) but I found they are all crap, quality wise. Everything I saw looked like it had been bought at a dollar store, and some basic things were very overpriced (ex: toy truck was 75 CUC).

If I were to return, I would NOT buy a ton of things in my Canadian dollar store..I would bring some thoughtful quality items; good makeup/nailpolish/hair products (clips, brushes, product, shampoo/cond), nice sandals/shoes, great books, brand-name tampons/pads, some nice kids' toys, bicycle repair kits, some nice sewing materials - essentially, items I myself am comfortable with (not no-name or dollar store junk!), that I'd be okay sharing with someone I met, that I felt needed them or could use them. Maybe some nice hats and sunglasses. I also think I'd bring these along into town - the resort people definitely get a lot of 'free stuff', and I am sure people in town would be in need of it much more than the resort staff.

If you're feeling quite generous, bring old technology stuff you don't use anymore - I found they were advertising the PS2 everywhere (kind of behind the times, eh)...and all the stuff they were using was very outdated. The tour guide said it's hard for Cubans to aquire 'new' technology stuff, so even your old MP3 player would be appreciated, I bet.

These are of course my opinions based on very little time there, but since I had a hard time grasping the idea of the whole 'bring a ton of random stuff and gift it' I thought I'd share!

TIPS
- bring immodium.
- bring a refillable mug; everyone seemed to have one. If you don't, prepare to use dinky plastic cups. I drank water, and I was really glad I had my big cup (and the booze-drinkers were even happier than I was)
- try the 'blue coco' drink, and the pina colada at the oriental/italian place (it's blended - unlike the ones at the main bars which are liquid with ice cubes)
- bring bugspray! None of us did, and we regretted it - the mosquitos are sneaky.
- I found that I was surprised by the quality of life in town, and I learned a LOT about Cuba! Please try to do an excursion to town to learn about the people who are hosting you.
- You can get two beach towels per room, so if you prefer not to bring one, they are available.
- bring powerful sunscreen - I am a pasty lady (or was!) and used SPF 30 - I am currently peeling :(

CONCLUSION
- Considering my expectations of Cuba, I found this was FAR beyond anything I could have hoped for. Very good! It was quality service, with genuine people and I felt I got great value for money.
- I would go back to Cuba without hesitation; I was hesitant based on what I'd heard about the quality on the resorts, and what I'd known/assumed about the politics and quality of life in the country. I hope to go to Havana next time!
- I would without a doubt recommend Tryp to a friend. I feel that it would be good for any kind of traveller (solo as well!) and I met a ton of nice people.
- I definitely suggest Cayo Coco if you're looking for somewhere beautiful and relaxing to visit; it's fairly isolated from everywhere else (this can be good and bad) and the beaches are flawless.

Not sure if you can message on here, but if you can and you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to chat!

Room Tip: Try to check out a map beforehand - it's worth not being near the disco/24 hour bar! I stayed in...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
24  Thank kaitlyn_montgomery
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful and we are glad to know that you have in general a nice experience. Hope to see you again here. Thank you for your recommendations.