“Just back with family”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Hamilton
“Just back with family”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I have just returned from a weeks holiday at Tryp with my three girls and my 10 month old grandson. The plane was late but check in was fast but since it was after 10, most things were closed already. It would be nice if the hotel could keep a restaurant open.

The staff are wonderful at Tryp. Always smiling and very friendly. Yes some of them try to sell you stuff but don't bother you again if you say no. People might think we get this attention because we are repeat guests but they are the same to all their guests unless you are rude to them.

Unfortunately the weather was not as nice. It rained two days and then it was so windy. Only the last two days we could go down to the beach. But the main complaint I have is that the bars were always kept closed when the weather was bad. The manager should see how many people are out and about the hotel. Sure the weather wasn't perfect and rained but the guest were around the pools when it was nice and should have had the bars opened. They could close the bar windows when the rain came and open again when it passed a few minutes later and the swim up bar it wouldn't matter because it is surrounded by water any ways.

Everybody talks about how the new manager is seen everywhere, which is true but just seems to ignore the guests. I was totally thrown the one night when we were at the a la carte and my older daughters went to change the baby. The manager came in the room, looked around and grabbed the high chair. I right away said," Alberto we are using that" and he put it back. My other daughter said the manager looked sorry but didn't say anything to us or even acknowledged me knowing his name or that I met him before.

The hotel is great for the young and old. Always something going on and the workers are constantly cleaning. They would have an easier job if guest wouldn't be soo rude and just leave empty cups around or use the grounds as an ashtray. There is a wide variety of food and no one can say they can't find something to eat. Yes the buffet gets repetative but any restaurant you go to has only a set menu and even if it is repetative it has a big variety to choose from.

I would recommend this hotel. Don't let the negative people get you worried because only if all you see is the negative and dwell on that you miss all the good around you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank travellingmom6
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear Guest,

It has been very helpful to read your comments. I sincerely offer you my apologies if you felt that I acknowledged you in some way. It will be a pleasure to meet you here next time and I will do my best for you. Thank you for your time, suggestions and recommendations.

Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The resort had everything you need. A great pool with a swim up bar, a good buffet, but the best thing about it is the beach. Most complain about the food in Cuba but at this resort we found the buffet to be better than average. Good omelettes, crepes, eggs, etc and recommend the stir fry at dinner ....the bread is also great. The a la carte restaurants were average...I liked the International best, but not the Chinese or Italian. Go to the BBQ place by the beach at lunch for burgers, fries, fish, etc or the Pizza place down the beach. The rooms are fine....the bed was comfortable, the shower had good water pressure, and the balcony, with view of the ocean, was great. We stayed in block 9 which was close to everything but away from the noisier main pool area. The main pool area has lots of activity during the afternoon but mostly for the 18-25 year old crowd. The staff would try to get drunken "kids" to do belly flops, etc....mildly amusing. Each night there was a show on the main stage...dancing, or a play, fashion show etc.. Very amateur but they tried. The content was not always "kid friendly" and recommend that they remove the rude, suggestive comments from the show. What this resort needs is a place where adults can go in the evening...there is a disco for the young crowd, but no dancing or pub for the over 30. Recommend that they get a small "night club" with Cuban/jazz music; but, no big deal as we were too tired in the evening anyway after a day at the beach. The exercise room is not very good...some free weights, one stationary bike, treadmill; could use a multi-weight thing. There are a couple of tennis courts that are not used if you want that. We also took a cab into Moron for a tour. We arranged it at the front desk...do this instead of taking the organized bus tour. Make sure the driver you are getting speaks English. It is more personal and you get info from the driver directly; we spent $100 pesos for 4 of us (it was only supposed to be $80 but I gave more). We stopped from lunch at an authentic Cuban restaurant in Moron; it was great. It is cool to see the old 50's Chevy's, etc. Don't bother with the crocodile farm if they want to take you there...it's OK, but nothing to do with Cuba.

All in all....a great vacation at Tryp....lots of beach time, a few drinks, good food, and fine accommodations, Good value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 9 on the 3rd floor. Close to everything but away from the noise, Had view of oc...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We will take them into consideration for the future work improving our Hotel. It is nice to know that you enjoyed it anyway. Hope to see you here again.

Best regards,

lizzyj63
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Can't wait....no snow...beautiful beach..great people...yahoooo!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean side upstairs of down..your choice....
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lizzyj63
Dear guest,

It is very nice to know that you will be coming back. Hope to meet you here. Feel free to contact me any time. It will be a pleasure to see you again.

Best regards,

Midlands, UK
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We’ve just come back from a 2 weeks stay. First impressions were that the grounds are beautiful - very well maintained and a lot of thought and care has gone into the design. The beach is lovely and the sea is a beautiful clean crystal blue. The rooms are a bit tired and in need of renovation but were ok and were kept clean. When we arrived we were allocated a room on the ground floor, which smelt very damp and musty and was quite dark and dingy. We asked for a move to a room on a higher floor and we were accommodated with no hassle and the second room was much lighter and airier. I only mention the room issue as the first room may have been a problem due to the fact that it rained on and off for 4 or 5 days of our stay, meaning that we spent a lot more time in our room than we usually would because there really isn’t much to do in the hotel/resort on rainy days.

When we arrived the weather was mainly fine, if a bit windy, for the first few days of our holiday and we thought that previous reviewers, who point out that the smell from the lagoon is overpowering, were exaggerating. However after a couple of days of rain and humid conditions in our second week we understood why some people found the smell quite nauseating. Another problem is the mosquitoes which, unusually, tend to be silent so you don’t always realise they’re there until you wake up covered with bites. I’m sure that the conditions around the lagoon are a fantastic breeding ground for them.

There is a choice of six a-la-carte restaurants and we were told we could book three per week. We ate at the Italian, Oriental, Cuban, International and Fish restaurants. They were mostly fine, particularly the Italian and International, which were both excellent. However we didn’t enjoy the Oriental at all, due to the quality of the food and the poor attitude of the waiter who served us. A good suggestion is to book to eat early in the evening, then if you don’t like the food there’s always the main buffet to fall back on. We always found this restaurant to offer an excellent choice/range of food and generally of a high standard, particularly the freshly cooked stations (but be prepared to queue for these). Another tip is that there is generally a big queue to book the a-la-cartes at breakfast time, but if you go to book at lunchtime there is usually only a very small queue or no queue.

A few of the staff had a very poor, dismissive ‘cant-be-bothered’ attitude and one or two were downright rude (particularly some of the bar staff). A major gripe with this hotel is that although it’s supposed to be all-inclusive the bars often run out of drinks (except rum, which always seems to be available) and when they do run out some of them close early. On a few occasions the bar at the quiet pool also often opened very late - or not at all - because they hadn’t been restocked. On a few occsions we also saw the bar staff knocking the drinks back, e.g. when sitting behind the quiet pool bar waiting for the restock. On one occasion snacks weren’t available at the ‘24 hour’ snack bar when I missed lunch and wanted to get a burger or a sandwich. The bar staff said that there wasn’t anything apart from some unfilled bread rolls that had been put out on a table in front of the bar. When I enquired about this upstairs I was told that snacks were now available and the reason was that I’d originally been told that they weren’t was that the snack bar had run out of napkins. In my opinion it was more likely that the bar staff just couldn’t be bothered. The not so great staff, unfortunately, are the ones who tend to leave an impression and they really let this hotel down. It’s a shame because the majority of the staff work very hard and are professional, courteous and friendly. They also have to put up with a lot from some of the guests who appear to leave their manners at home when they go on holiday.

A very nice touch is the fact that we were invited to meal just for the British guests and I understand they also do this for the Argentine guests to show management’s appreciation for the fact that these guests choose to travel to Cuba despite the long travelling time and the wider choice of alternative holiday destinations. I have to say, though, that it was a set meal (steak) and I wouldn’t have bothered going along had I realised this as there isn’t a vegetarian or any other option. I really appreciated the gesture though, so credit where it’s due.

The hotel caters very well for young adults – although they claim to cater for everyone, including families with young children. The entertainment was definitely geared towards young adults and there wasn’t much escape from loud thumping music in the hotel. There is a bar between the Italian and Oriental restaurants which is much quieter but is only open in the evenings. If we’d realised sooner we would probably have spent most of our evenings there. We sat around the main pool on a couple of days and some of the pool games were a little bit risqué and some of the music they played was probably not something you’d want your children to hear, due to the overtly sexually explicit language. I’m sure my twenty something kids would probably love it and I’d even go so far as to recommend a hotel like this to them. However, I definitely wouldn’t have been happy if I’d brought my kids here when they were younger – particularly since the kids’ club is located right by the main pool. The ‘quiet’ pool doesn’t have music but due to the fact that many of the guests are young adults it can still get a bit rowdy at times, particularly when the hotel is full and there is a lack of space at the main pool for them.

We did the ‘now that’s what I call Cuba’ trip through Moron and onto Ciego de Avila, which was very good value for money and packed a lot in (although it felt a little too structured and rushed at times). The guide, Sila (sp?), was an absolute mine of information and the trip gave us a chance to see some of the ‘real’ Cuba, which you don’t get on Cayo Coco. Oh and I must mention the Thomas Cook rep who was very nice, helpful and could be found at the hotel most days. My previous experience of tour reps hasn’t always been so positive as sometimes you don’t see them after the first day!

I personally probably wouldn’t go to Cuba again due to the fact that as a Brit there are many choices worldwide that can be reached within a similar travelling time (and many with better weather). I can understand why many Canadians go there though, because with a much shorter travelling time they can just do a week there and then it’s not so bad if they’re not that happy with their resort/hotel. Personally I’d had enough after the first week and was ready to come home. I definitely would not stay at this hotel again, even if I did go back to Cuba. I might recommend the Tryp to young adults - or older ones who enjoy 18 – 30s type holidays (each to his own) - but only if they can get a very, very good deal!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank andrea_mids
Dear guest,

It has been very nice to find your comments in this site. We should clarify that mosquitoes are not coming from the lagoon that goes through the Hotel since it is a salty water lagoon and it is impossible for them to grow up here. This is a tropical place and mosquitoes are very common even though we tried to eliminate them in the Hotel area. Thank you for all your comments, we will be taken advantage of them for our continue job.

Ontario
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My daughter and myself have been to Tryp Cayo Coco, fifteen times in thirteen years. And each and every time is better than the time before! The atmosphere is very warm and welcoming, and each and every staff member works hard to make your stay is as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. This Hotel is clean, the beach is spectacular, the security is great the grounds are beautiful and the food is good. My son and daughter in law were married at this resort and it was magical. Over the years many friends and family have travelled to Tryp with us and every one of them loved it and have returned again. The rooms are a little outdated but they are being worked on and they are very much improved! But then again it is Cuba and they have limited access to just about everything, through no fault of their own, so replacing and repairing can be a struggle. So when people go and over drink and think it's funny to break and abuse the furnishings don't complain about the condition things are in!!! I have read reviews say the food has given some people food poisoning...well in 15 years I have had not so much as an upset stomach and neither has any of our travelling companions, so my guess would be that they just over served at the bars!! As for the tipping, it is not necessary but very much appreciated!!! Instead of critisizing the staff, some should sit down and talk to these people and get to know them a little. Ok, so maybe someone doesn't smile constantly or is a little moody....walk a 12 hour shift, 6 days a week in their shoes and deal with snotty spoiled holidayers and tell me if you could be cheerful all the time. They certainly do try to! Oh ya, and the smell from the lagoon...yes there is a smell occassionally but it is not as horrendous as some people would have you believe and they are working on fixing it. I have smelt worse on the city streets here at home in Canada!! I could go on and on, but I won't. Will I be returning to Tryp Cayo Coco? I certainly will!!! Would I recommend Tryp Cayo Coco??? I certainly do!!!! It's like my home away from home and the staff is like family... On that note I would like to sat HOLA and GRACIAS to some of my favorite people...Edgar(small pool bar), William(buffet), Margie(grill), Nelson(DJ), Yudislay(entertainment assistant), Amilcar(Gardener), Alfredo(life gaurd), Eddie(Italian al a carte) Fermine, Danny Danny, Daniel, Eduardo, Sandra(entertainment staff) and many many more.....

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank nanygoat
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we are very happy of being part of your family. Our staff will always welcome you. Till your next visit.

Our best regards,