“E COLI !!”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Georgetown, Canada
“E COLI !!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Me and my boyfriend arrived on the 16th of march until the 23rd. I was sick every day after the day we arrived and thought it was just the food. The day after we got home I had to be rushed to emerge and had a fever of 104 and almost died.. and excruciating pain in my left side of my stomach. I was immediately put on intervenis and morphine for the pain. I later found out I had e coli and not only was it in all my organs but my blood stream. It started in my bladder and I got it in cuba 110%. This has been the worst week of my life I just got home from the hospital and still have to take 4 heavy duty antibiotics each day for 12 days. The only time we left the resort was to swim with dolphins and I didn't drink anything but the bottled water from the room. I never drank anything but the water they served at dinner and bottled water. Do not go here I literally almost died and I'm only 21 years old.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank STAYAWAYYYY
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 10 March 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff and particularly the manager, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Mojito hotel for your holidays and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
We regret to acknowledge that our beach and excellent service did not make you feel as “a Star” as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts in all of our more than one hundreds hotels worldwide. Our Management team extends our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you might have encountered. We have taken good notes from your feedback and forwarded to the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate their performance and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable costumers.
We invite you to visit us once again so our staff can show you the way we really care about our “Stars”, please feel free contact us to assist you before your next visit.
With regards,
Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
bradford
Reviewed 2 April 2012

March 16-23, 2012. This was our third visit to Cuba but the first to Cayo Coco. We chose Hotel La Laguna primarily because of the excellent reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. The Hotel staff were extremely welcoming even though we arrived quite late in the evening. Music in the lobby and fruit punch for everyone. We were able to get a meal in the restaurant despite the late hour. I will try to break this down.

Hotel - Lovely, open, pleasant, clean grounds with beautiful gardens. The buildings are 2-3 storeys and in keeping with Cuban architecture. The staff were extremely friendly, always helpful and showed remarkable (too much, in my opinion) restraint with the few but inevitable drunks who could not handle free booze. The rooms were very clean, freshly painted, simple but, comfortable. Some small issues with the sink not draining quickly enough and shower faucet not perfect, but none of them serious enough for us to complain. We were in block 19 on the third floor and loved the location .... close to the adult pool, far enough away from the main pool, the open stage and the disco. The music from those areas is enough to blast your eardrums. The buildings around the adult pool are the best choice (but NOT 18). The lagoon pods are not being used right now....possibly under renovation. Personally, we would not want to be there. Iberostar has bought the hotel and there are plans to renovate the whole resort.

Food: As in all of of Cuba the food is simple but tasty. Lots of fresh fruit (but rather tasteless juice) , fish (though we did not eat it much), beef, chicken, pork. Some vegetables were canned and were often badly overcooked. Breakfast was always very good with the chefs at the grill customizing your order. Wine...not great. Beer was fine. There was only one night when we had some difficulty finding something we liked. We went for the Cuban dinner and the Steak night a la cartes both at the Gallo Restaurant. The cuban meal was very good. The steak...my husband's was workable but mine...half was inedible, half was workable. The red wine that night was a Spanish wine and very good. If you are a fussy eater, Cuba is not for you.

Beach - Our initial reaction was not great as the beach was covered with seaweed and pretty narrow. It appears that the machine they use to clean the beach was broken and after a couple of days it was cleaned up and when the tide was out there was quite wide expanse of very fine beach. The winds were very strong and there were always whitecaps and rough seas. Personally, we used the beach mainly for our daily walks but not to spend time on. For us, It was too crowded and not enough shade. But the beach itself is beautiful.

Pool - 2 pools, the main one with the bar and pool hut which we did not frequent due to all the activity and music. We preferred the adult pool which was smaller, quiet and very pleasant. Pool/Beach towels available at the pool cabana.

Weather - in late March, absolutely perfect. Temps in the high 20s but the strong winds meant zero humidity and zero bugs. I think I saw one mosquito and no other critters. We shut off our AC and left the windows open all day - there were no screens. We only closed them if the lights were on. Ladies might take a shawl or sweater for the evenings.

Our overall experience was very good but we would like to see improvements in more fresh vegetables cooked properly and better security handling of the drunks. Yes, we would go back again. We met couples who had been coming back for 2 to 3 years. Is it a 4 star? More like 3.5+++++++

Room Tip: We found building 19, third floor, to be a great choice - up in the treetop breeze, very close to ev...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lizbradford
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 2 June 2016
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.
Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

the food was great, as for Cuba is known for bad food this place was my best food experience in cuba ,the resort was very clean,rooms very clean, beach nice great pools, entertainment was great,i would highly recommended this hotel to my friends, i stayed in 22 block ground floor which has 2 rooms on ground and 2 on second floor in 6 builds nice and quiet section,the staff mostly spoke english, i give this resort 4 stars

Room Tip: i would say blocks 19 and 20 where good sections,but 22 block was great for me
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gord M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Went to Varedero last year, this year chose Cayo Coco just to be different. My friend and I read all the previous reviews on this hotel and it helped make our decision. This is a great hotel. Our room was really nice, very clean. The hotel grounds are kept spotless. The staff is very friendly. The food was fine. I am a very picky eater but I always found something to eat. My thoughts are that the A LA Carte restaurants are not worth the stress of making reservations to go. They have nice ambiance for sure, but the food is no better there than at the buffets. The seafood restaurant was the best out of all of them. Cuban restaurant was really no good. We could not eat our dinner, but it did not upset us at all. We just headed over to the buffet. Beaches are beautiful, Acxel and Alex at the Swim up pool bar were amazing. So nice, very friendly and they made awesome drinks. When you get tired of rum drinks ask Acxel to make you his famous RUSSIAN drink....vodka, sugar, lime juice....delicious. Chicken and ham and cheese sandwiches with fries at the snack bar are good too. Entertainment was ok - but if you feel like dancing, take a trip to THE CAVE one night. Disco in a real cave - great music and worth the price. Its about a 15 minute bus ride and all drinks are included once you are there, and YES, there are bats in the cave but once the music starts you wont see them. :) We swam with the dolphins in Cayo Guillermo - great excursion and well worth the money. You are in the water for a long time with the dolphins, then we had lobster and shrimp at the beach and went to Pilar beach too all in the same day.
Would definitely go back, would recommend it for both families and for couples although there is not a lot of young people there, not a lot of action for young singles so I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Varadero was defilnitely more of a party place. I give La Laguna a 4.5 out of 5. Enjoy !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank sgmtl
Blyth, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

March 31/12 Just returned from this resort and we had a great vacation with a few mishaps. We took our whole family, 3 grown children, 2 girls age 27 & 17, who shared a room and our son 20 who had his own room. When we arrived the staff were very helpful and did take us and our luggage to our building and were very helpful. The beach was awesome and the water absolutely beautiful, different entertainment each night, some fantastic and some not but mostly the animation team was great. We booked a half day trip to Moron for $100 canadian and waited two hours and our bus never showed up. When our sunwing rep showed up she refunded our payment with no explanation as to why. There were many french people there and they all seemed to constantly be smoking so when you went to a show there was always smoke from somewhere. The bartenders and waitstaff were excellent for the most part with great senses of humour. We went on a glass bottom boat ride with snorkelling for about $22 each and it was amazing. The kids also did a day trip to two towns close by with speed boat rides, cigar factory tours, bicycle taxi rides, shopping sugar cane tour, steam train ride etc and they enjoyed it.
While there my one daughter developed an allergic reaction in her eyes and we saw a wonderful doctor immediately. The nurse could not have been more compassionate and nurturing as well. She treated her and saw her again the next day and offered to see her anytime again while we were there for the one cost of $61.60 and that included medications, dressing and appointment.
There was also a problem with our daughters room since the air conditioning wasn't working so when we complained they fixed it but it broke the next day again. My husband went to the front desk and they moved the girls immediately to another room. The resort only seemed to be about 1/3 to 1/2 full while we were there.
There were also many families there with children of all ages. They offered a program each night for the children.
At times I found the music to be a little too loud and I was glad our building was far enough away that we didn't hear it....but maybe that was because the pina coladas were good.
There was a huge variety of foods to choose from. If you couldn't find something to eat there then you have a problem! Lovely fresh fruit every morning as well as made to order omlets, eggs, several meats, potatoes, rice, different meats, fish all cooked as you like as well as a large variety of delicious breads, baked goods a variety of foods to try if you're adventurous!
Free kayaking and sailing was also included with this all-inclusive package. This is a place you can have a quiet relaxing holiday or be as busy as you like.

Room Tip: try not be in building 15 it's too close to the stage and the pool Very Loud
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family