Melia Cayo Coco(Cayo Coco)
USD 235
USD 133
iberostar.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Melia Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
USD 218
USD 166
  • Breakfast included
Sitio la Guira(Cayo Coco)
galahotels.com
TripAdvisor
4,633 results
All reviewsdon diegolobby barpizzamain beachfishbuffet restaurantgreat holidayanimation teamthe thomas cook repchickensister hotelpoor countrybeach restaurantstir fryholiday makersthe real cubaswimming with dolphins
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I travelled to the sol Cayo Coco on the 7th of march for 3 weeks, I was surprised by how quickly everything was repaired after the hurricane you wouldn't know there was any damage that is a credit to the hard working Cuban people. The hotel was great,it was spotless,the food was great so many choices,at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The Ali cart I never tried so I can't comment.the food at the beach was superb, pork, fish, burgers, fries and chicken.
At the pool bar they served pizzas, fries, burgers, toastes. But my favourite place in the morning was the lobby bar were you got fantastic cappachino and of course the beer the people who work here in the mornings Didier,blanca, and ofmi work so hard to make sure everyone gets served as quickly as possible it is a favourite place for the coffees. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the sol to anyone for a holiday, all the staff work so hard to make sure you have the best holiday, I had a nice relaxing time so much so I'm returning on the 9th of September for another 3weeks.

Stayed: March 2018
7  Thank raxsojim
NaiviQ, Director Comercial at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear guest:

Thank you for coming, we feel very proud to receive these reviews and also you had such fantastic time here. All the persons you mentioned will be congratulated on your behalf.

We will be happy to welcome you here again in September.

Best regards

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I travelled long haul as a solo female for the first time. I had some concerns from previous reviews but I had a wonderful 2 week holiday. The room was a good size, yes it had been just overhauled a little but it was fine, with 2 comfortable double beds for me choose from. Water pressure not great but manageable for shower etc. Hairdryer great, I have long hair, didn't need my own hairdryer. Beautiful sea view over the mini golf and quiet, really liked it.
The restaurants had a fairly good choice of foods but it is important to be choosy as all inclusivitis sets in, especially over 2 weeks, for me that happens even in higher rated hotels. I never had raw food and would have taken it back. I do not usually care for pizza but the main restaurant serves the best individually cooked pizzas I have ever had. Some meat and fish can be cooked as desired. Breakfast choice great. Thank you to Yannika and Meilyn for taking care of me for breakfast and lunch service. My cold white wine was appreciated very much. Tried the Mediterranean restaurant and the food was very good. The piano, not so for me I am afraid it sounded out of tune, preferred the guitar.
The pools are lovely but very loud and intrusive music and microphone at times. Snacks available. Drinks small plastic cups around the pool. Take your own thermos cup.
The beaches are to die for, Aqua blue clear sea and white sand, sea weed cleared away. Some sunbeds need replacing and plastic ones need mats, on lovely days the palapos and best sunbeds go early, nothing new in that, it is a common annoyance everywhere, especially when left unoccupied. New sunbeds started to arrive as I was about to go home.
The bar service is hit and miss, but thank you Yulka for great drinks. Red and white wine available and draught beer and cocktails, some very yummy. More staff definitely needed. The one thing that really irritated me was running out of glasses in the bar, especially in the evening, it is unacceptable and having only small plastic ones from 7 pm. Where did the glasses go to? Were they unable to wash them? This didn't happen the first week.
A trip to Moron enabled me to see the real Cuba and it is really interesting and a must if you have not been to Cuba before. Havana is quite a long trip from Cayo Coco. The hotels here are quite isolated.
I really understand why the Canadians love it here. They have lots of snow and low temperatures for a long time, and for them it is only a four hour flight to go for sunshine, rest and recuperation and marvellous beaches, and also meeting up with staff who have become like family. This is a 3 star hotel still recovering from Irma and doing very well too. A few tweaks and it could be so so good.

Room Tip: Higher floors get the views
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank fleetie2014
NaiviQ, Director Comercial at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear client:

Thank you very much for publishing on the trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Coco,

We are very glad to know that you spent nice holidays among us in our hotel.

We appreciate all the complimentary comments about our hotel and the services we offer. All the persons you mentioned will be congratulated on your behalf.

We hope, and wish to see you soon in Sol Cayo Coco.

Sincerely

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Our first all inclusive holiday ever! My bf is disabled and he was treated like a king! Jason had a shadow following him everywhere he went. He was able to navigate the property easily with his walker, feel independent and the staff made sure he was safe and well taken care of. Such a relief to me :)
THE STAFF: everyone...the gardeners, wait staff, front desk and the lifeguards. They made everything stress free for both of us.They were extremely helpful, welcoming and friendly.You know they really love their jobs and want nothing but the best for their guests. We had an issue with our room location which was resolved as soon as we asked.
RESORT: Was very clean. Well staffed. Above our expectations. Sol recovered very well from the hurricane. Two beautiful, clean beaches with bars and a grill at the main beach. Lots of chairs. Extremely clean pools. Spa, hot tub and gym available. DO NOT LOSE YOUR TOWELS! Transport available if you want to venture out (a trolley/double decker bus/taxis to other sister properties (which are free to visit for the day...Tryp and Sol Guillermo) or to the market, etc. for only a few cuc's. The local vendor market comes to the property once or twice a week. There is a small vendor on site everyday. The resorts shop has basic necessities, souvenirs, cigars and alcohol to purchase on site.
ROOMS: Clean!!! All basics covered. Water delivered everyday. Empty, but cold bar fridge (we booked a standard room with two queen beds). TV with English and Spanish channels. Telephone. Outlets were standard North American. Golf umbrellas. Safe available at a small charge. Lots of clean towels. Soap, shampoo, conditioner and a hairdryer and iron available. AC is cold. Showers are hot (in off peak times). Wi-fi can be purchased for 1 cuc/hour and accessible in the lobby, but slower during peak hours.
FOOD: We had no issues with food (and I generally have lots of issues with food at home)...grill stations at the buffet (pork, chicken and fish, pasta, pizza, omelettes) were made to order and delicious. Don Diego's is worth the wait to book the a-la-carte. Seafood stuffed chicken, lobster bisque and house Spanish wine were all wonderful. Very quaint and loved the piano player! Lovely Italian dinner at the nightly transformed pool bar...candlelit and Miss the Spanish coffee...and you must try the Miami Vice drinks (1/2 strawberry daiquiri and 1/2 Pina Colada). The dark rum is much better and should be requested.. Lobby bar has a sandwich grill until 1 am (ham and cheese). Ketchup and peanut butter is not the same there...you may want to bring your own.
ENTERTAINMENT: Disco every night. Lobby singer. Attractions at the pool...competitions, foam parties, bingo. DJ music poolside.
EXTRAS: We booked a day excursion with Ruddy that was wonderful! Speed boats, crocodiles, Moron, and a special treat of Cuban lunch at his house! Again, very helpful and welcoming to Jason's needs. Another day swam with the dolphins! Once in a lifetime...amazing!
GUESTS: We made amazing friends from all over the world. Lots of Canadian and UK visitors. Many repeat guests. We have our own Facebook group!
GRATUITIES: Cubans have no stores to shop in if you leave cash tips. They do not mind any gratuities and certainly do not expect them, but if you do... leave personal items for the maids (nylons, under garments, feminine hygiene products, shampoo/conditioner, hair accessories, styling products, nail polish and makeup)...for any staff members...gum and candy, toothbrushes, paste and floss, pharmaceuticals (adult and children) ie: Tylenol, allergy, sinus, stomach meds, toys for children, used brand named clothing Med to Large, women Sml to Med, any shoes (and, whether they can personally use them or they can trade them).
As Southern Ontarians (from Niagara Falls) we flew out of the Hamilton Airport with Air Transat. Easy and stress free. First time travelers MUST attend the orientation day. Frank was very helpful.

We will definitely go back! Love, love, love Sol Cayo Coco!

Facebook group "Friends of Sol Cayo Coco"...for questions, answers and lovers of the resort ONLY!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jason S

Dear Jason;

Thank you for your excellent comments on this page about your stay in our hotel. We will consider all your opinions in order to develop the satisfaction of our clients.

We will transmit your comments to our staff and I am sure we all will be very happy to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was our fifth visit to Sol Cayo Coco and once again we had a wonderful holiday. Having seen all the pictures of the hurricane damage it was very evident that a great deal of hard work had gone into getting the hotel ready for holiday makers. On arrival we requested a room change and this was done quickly and efficiently. Our ''new' room was clean with plenty space and a comfortable bed and our cleaner, Yanet, was excellent.
The two beaches remain an asset to this hotel even though the hurricane had caused tremendous devastation and new beach bars had to be built in a very short time. Special mention for Alfredo who runs one of the beach bars - always ready with a drink!!
The quality of the food is not the strongest point but there is always something you can find to eat and the restaurant staff are cheerful and helpful if a little short handed at times. This staffing issue is also evident at the pool bar and lobby bar although it did improve during our stay - I suspect complaints had been made. The cocktail bar was efficient as ever - many thanks Carlos!!
Entertainment in the lobby bar was generally good, especially the singers who managed to get people dancing. Sad to see red plastic chairs and a lack of small drink tables in the lobby - I assume the chairs are there as a short term measure after the hurricane.
The real plus about this hotel is the staff and this is one of the main reasons we keep returning and will do so next year. It does have problems but if you accept the fact that a real effort is being made to rectify these, then you will enjoy this resort.
We are already looking forward to our sixth visit.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank WolverhamptonDave
NaiviQ, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Dave:

On behalf of all our staff at Sol Cayo Coco we appreciate your comments and suggestions to other readers about your stay with us. We want to thank you and your family for choosing our hotel for your vacations one more time. It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed so much of what we have to offer and we hope for your sixth visit.

Best regards

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Traveled Mar. 20-27, couple in our 60's wanting a relaxing beach holiday. Got it. Flight was Air Canada Rouge, no complaints, but a bit cramped for leg room. Transfer from airport was 15 min, check in at hotel was quick. Resort is small and well laid out.

WEATHER: The wind was our enemy!! 4 red flag days, 1 green, 2 yellow. Rained a bit on last day.Make sure you have a sweater or something warm for evenings when the wind blows.

ROOM: Gardenview, but we had a fantastic view of the ocean because all the trees were destroyed due to the hurricane. The room was clean, bed comfortable, everything worked. Had a cracked toilet seat, replaced within hours. Shower gel, shampoo and bar soap provided. BRING YOUR OWN CONDITIONER, FACE CLOTH AND BODY LOTION. Umbrellas in the closet. Also hair dryer is there. 2 CUC per night for a safe; opened with your key card after it is programmed for the safe. The key card must be in a slot by the door in order for lights and air conditioning to work.

FOOD: Buffet had lots of variety and the cook stations were excellent--pasta, pizza, fish, also omelettes, eggs and pancakes in the morning. We tried both a la cartes--international and Italian and both were good, nice change from the buffet. Snack bar at the pool had burgers, fries, pizza, sandwiches, etc. and there is also a snack bar on the beach. You won't go hungry. Drinks were very good as well.

ENTERTAINMENT: Good evening shows in the lobby. Nice music at the beach and the pool; I was very pleased that the music was there but not too loud.

BEACH: Lots of chairs and palapas. Best ones go early but there are always some available on the bigger beach to the right. Beautiful for long distance walking, cleaned every day.

MAKE SURE TO BRING A FLASHLIGHT! We had a 5 hr. power failure, which gave us dinner by candle light at the buffet. Staff was fabulous in putting together a fine meal and serving guests in partial darkness.

SIGHTSEEING: We took the double decker bus, 5 CUC each, hop on hop off for the day. Stopped at the craft market and while the bus stops at every resort, we chose only to get off at Sol Cayo Guillermo which is affiliated with our resort, found out too late that we could have gotten a lunch pass from reception to stay at SCG for lunch, but we did wander the beach there and got a feel for this resort. Hopped back on and went to the end to Playa Pilar which our rep said was the most beautiful beach. I did not think so. Beware that if you stay for the day, they will charge you for chair rental, etc. We got a good sense of how the 2 islands are connected and the terrain. A worthwhile trip on a very windy day.

STAFF: Couldn't do enough for the guests. When we were leaving the resort I was carrying my suitcase down the stairs into the lobby. Out of nowhere an elderly gardener came charging around the corner, ran up the stairs, grabbed my suitcase and carried it down. Reception was also very helpful. Best gardener--Alan--so polite, always said hello! Yes, the staff does make the resort.

Would I come back? Yes!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank victoria64

Dear Victoria;

Thank you for your visit and your positive review. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday.

I agree with you our staff is the main reason we have many repeaters every year. We hope you will be one of them soon.

Best regards from Sol Cayo Coco.