“Upsized Cafe restaurant”

Caffe Isola
Ranked #2 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Newport
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Reviewed 23 December 2017

Went here to see the new cafe, very busy but we had a table for four, had some toasted malt loaf, and a latte, my sons had a hot chocolate which really needed a spoon to eat it. It was rich and thick and smelt lovely. Even the cup of tea I had after my latte was lovely and clear in the glass tea pot. The new place to go, on the island.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

The new bigger site next to Farmhouse Fayre. Firsly to say that it's a welcome venue in Newport, despite all the cafes already in town. They are clearly using high quality products which is good for the discerning customers, yet their menu is reasonably priced despite this. The ambience is large, busy, contemporary and wide open leading to a quite noisy environment (like an upmarket McD's). The clientele is an eclectic mix of over 60s, business types having work/coffee meetings, mums with young children, students and the young. Service is polite but a little chaotic, it's something they care about so some settling in time is only fair - this will probably improve. A new menu is due for 2018 which will help. Longer term it remains to be seen if the more mature and discerning of customers go elsewhere. My impression is that the venue is trying to attract the younger generation slightly more than the mature - time will tell. I will return in 2018 to see if my impression changes, but I wish them well as the place has plenty of potential.

1  Thank Kevin F
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Isola has moved to a much bigger site! We visited it on Saturday and I think everyone else had the same idea, as it was heaving in there. I think the new café is in an old church and it looks great, bright and airy. But the noise!! I don't know if there is anything they can do about it because of the acoustics in the building, but we couldn't hear ourselves think. It was the reason why we left as soon as we could. Shame, as the food and coffee is great and reasonably priced. I think I will only visit during the week during school hours and see if it's a bit calmer in there

1  Thank Linda4663
Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

It was a pleasure to enjoy my coffee and snack in this newly refurbished listed building. It is a credit to all of involved and the coffee is great as always. Looking forward to tasting all the new options for coffee.
PS my 2 year old grandson loved the open space !

1  Thank compuwight
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Cafe Isola MOVED yesterday to St James Street, junction of Chapel Street, just round the corner in the big yellow building and it's FAB.............. soon to be two floors of great food and a great welcome. Lunch today they were as busy as ever, running at full throttle after an 0300 finish !.............Not something I'd enjoy, unlike everything else at Cafe Isola. The first floor will be opening soon and the whole place has a feeling of home and V's usual warm welcome, which is only equalled by the friendliness of the staff and food.............our best wishes to everyone who makes our visits such a pleasure, in their New Adventure.