All reviews the pub great chef free parking and wifi quality local produce isle of wight free car park fluffy towels main road weekend stay warm welcome festival weekend english breakfast nice food stayed for two nights each morning toast good nights sleep
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Lovely food and good service, great staff and friendly, very helpful. Good choice of menu. Not stayed there but looks very enticing. Easy parking, and children welcome. Ideal pub when visiting the island.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2017

I stayed at The Stag whilst on a business trip to the Isle of Wight.

For a cheap B&B, The Stag isn't too bad. The lady at the bar who showed us our rooms was friendly, telling us everything we needed to know. The room itself was well presented, however the shower was very temperamental and wouldn't heat up. There was no lock on my door for some reason - I had to give the key to the person I was travelling with who was staying in another room to lock it from the outside.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast tasted good, although we had to wait quite a while because the chef was running late. Fast Wi-Fi in the room and the breakfast area.

Overall a nice hotel in a convenient location, near the centre of the island. Perfect location if you want to explore the different parts.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Got there, told straight away that they have tried to contact us by phone(which they did not as we had no missed calls, no voicemails) to let us know that their kitchen is closed the there is no breakfast served in the morning ( only croissants and yoghurts)
We booked looking for 5* and breakfast. Got none of them. When asked if I am ok with not having the breakfast described I asked if I have any other option(thinking about maybe a discount or the possibility of cancelling the room and looking somewhere else) her answer was "We did try to call you." She didn't, and even if she did, what? What option I could have been offered on the phone that I couldn't have in real life.
Getting in the room, the toilet seat had pee staines on it, the bathtub had soap staines on it. The window from the bahroom was a joke, wooden, full of mould and not closing properly.
I have no idea how they got their 5* rating, it's more like a 2* to 3* maximum.
Facilities? What facilities? We had a kettle in the room, a key for the door and free parking. Had better in a 50£ in London for 3*.
Really really hoped to treat ourselved in this weekend as we rarely have the weekend off to leave, but this completely ruined our experience.
And working in hospitality myself, what shocked me was her attitude, not apologetic at all. As if I have done something wrong. AWFUL! Would never recommend it!

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 904dianaz
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We stayed at the Stag for three days and in all it was a somewhat disappointing experience. The pub itself is utterly empty during the week, even on the Friday and Saturday nights the place was spookily deprived of any life.
The room we stayed in was small but spotlessly clean indeed - the latter being the highlight of the whole experience.
My family had the cooked breakfast every day and the boys loved it. I was a little disappointed. There was also toast, cereals, jams and yogurts but no fruit or other spreads (cream cheese or chocolate etc.) or any fruit.
The situation improved markedly on the second day when wonderful Julie offered us proper coffee (rather than the instant emulsion the previous day) and welcomed us with a broad smile and happy hello.
The pub is quite dirty (the doors really need cleaning) and the coffee pots (again on the first day) had not seen the inside of a dishwasher for a while either.
We never saw the landlord or landlady and I think that might explain why the pub clearly struggles, a shame really. With a bit of love and care and the enthusiasm and happy presence of a landlord or landlady (and some serious cleaning), it could be a much better place.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Nice room, lovely staff, nice food... highly recommended

Stayed at the Stag after an impromptu decision to go to Jack Up the 80's

Can't say enough about how friendly and attentive the team are, great service and always delivered with a smile

Look out for the escaping chickens?!!

Date of stay: August 2017