“Short Break”

Playa Dorada Aparthotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Sa Coma
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Arrived Wednesday after 1 1/2 hrs delay sat on plane in Manchester airport. Palma airport was a bit confusing how to get out because you are in the departures ! Used Balearic Transfers excellent. Room was ready and had lunch. Cannot fault the hotel,staff,food etc everything is excellent. Apart from the weather no sun today and raining !!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I booked this aparthotel because my friend and I wanted to sleep in separate rooms, due to us both being snorers. I had read a lot of reviews and I sent 3 e mails asking for particular rooms. I got no response, we were put into room 415, our so called sitting room had one sofa bed and the only wardrobe for the apartment. It was like a prison cell. I tried sleeping in it on the first night, but was far too claustrophobic . I did ask Melanie for a change of room, but she said the hotel was full, Melanie was very helpful during the holiday. She was the only member off staff who acknowledged us, apart from Ishmael the cheery barman. Sa Coma is very nice, lovely beaches on either side of the hotel. Hotel is clean, and room did have a lovely sea view, Food ok, that's about as much as I can say. Entertainment is dire, had to go out every night. Overall I would not go back to this hotel, when you wait all year for your holiday and it is not what you expected, it is such a let down

Room Tip: Don't expect a reply to e mails for room requets
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank lillybet60
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We stayed for two weeks at the end of August during the summer Holidays. My two sons age 9 and 6 had a great time and would love to return.

Location
Is really good. The beach immediately outside the hotel is shingle / rockpool which we enjoyed exploring. Just 1 minute walk to the left is the blue flag sandy beach of Sa Coma and a few minutes walk to the right is the sandy beach of S'illot.
Sa Coma beach has paragliding, pedalos and a banana boat. The banana boat was 10 euros per person for 10 minutes (no age restriction) which my boys loved.
The sight seeing glass bottom boats also go from here. We did the 2.5 hours "family trip" to Porto Christo which includes a stop at sea for you to use the slides to go straight into the sea. Again a big hit with my children. It was about 70 euros for a family ticket.

Every night there are a number of different stalls along the promenade and every Wednesday night is a street market selling the usual touristy things. There are also family pedal cars to hire and mini electric cars for the children (not cheap at 10 euros each for 30 minutes - but very popular with the children.)

Hotel Staff
All the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. the kids club staff worked very hard and had a great rapport with the kids. The kids club is not the type where you can drop the children off and get them later, you do have to be around but they do lots of different activities with the children on the half hours and they can join in as much as they want.

Rooms
The rooms are spacious, but not much storage, just one wardrobe with some shelves. The hotel has obviously been recently "refreshed" but this means the "apartments" no longer have dining /kitchen areas in as the photos portray. There is a full sized fridge and tea and coffee making facilities.
The rooms and communal areas were kept very clean. Housekeeping comes 5 days out of 7 to the room and they have a whole team of cleaners every morning to clear up the entertainment space from the night before.

Noise and entertainment
The entertainment is LOUD and there is no soundproofing to the rooms. The entertainment goes on until approx 11:30pmish. The first few nights we had to stay up until the entertainment had finished because it was too loud for my children to sleep through. By about night 4 they were so tired that we could put them to bed at 9:30pm and they slept through it and my husband and I took ear plugs based on other reviews and i'm glad we did. Obviously not a problem if you plan to stay up until after 11:30pm each night.

The hotel has some external entertainment come in such as singers, a reptile / parrot show and flamenco dancers. On the other evenings the kids club reps run the entertainment and it is fairly basic but they do try hard! They have a childrens mini disco every night at 8:30pm which is in a mixture of English and German and by the end of the fortnight my sons were singing along happily to the German songs!

Other holiday makers
I think about half the guests are German, a quarter British and a quarter other nationalities. I quite liked not being in "little England abroad" and all the guests were polite and friendly. As is often the way we found that all the German guests spoke good English so there was no communication problems.

I thought the food was good quality and lots of it. A carvery choice every night (usually pork or beef), lots of fish dishes, always chips, pizzas, nuggets etc for the children as well as "recognisable" vegetables that my children will eat like broccoli , carrots and beans as well as more typical spanish food. Some days had excellent food choices other days were more hit and miss but we always found something we liked and there was plenty of fresh fruit every day.
The drinks were easily available with beer, wine and fizzy drinks on tap to help yourself. Spirits you had to ask for at the bar. My children don't drink fizzy drinks but they had fruit juices and a slushy machine that they could ask at the bar for, and the bar staff were very friendly.

Pool
The pool was bigger than I was expecting and very deep. There is a small toddler area but I was glad my two children can swim well as there was no real "shallow" end in the big pool. Lilos / floats etc are all the rage and we bought a couple from the local spa shop for about 8 euros each. There is a free air pump at the complex gate so your don't have to blow them up yourself.
The Pool looked relatively clean whilst we were there but I do agree that the water turns white swimming costumes yellow. It is because non-british guests favour the brown oil based (Hawaiian tropic) suntan oils rather than the white suntan creams that the British tend to use and this obviously gets in the pool. Not sure what the hotel can do about it really?
We had no problem getting sunbeds and this was in the school summer holidays. Some people did start to reserve sunbeds from about 7am onwards but I noted that there were some still free about 10am. It is annoying to see a whole raft of them reserved all day though and never used.

Other things to do in Sa Coma

There is a free bus (10 minute drive) to the safari zoo. Entrance fee is 19 euros for adults and 14 euros for children. It is a little gem, as long as you are at peace with lions etc being in captivity. In the safari ride the driver stops for you to hand feed the giraffes / antelopes / monkeys etc and the children loved this. Then when you get to the zoo there is a lion, elephants, parrots etc and a great play park.

There is also a hotel Globalles Bourganvilla on the outskirts of Sa Coma that has a small waterpark and they do day passes. BUT its 55 euros per adult and 45 euros per child, so we had to disappoint our children and say that we would not pay 200 euros for a day at a water park! They try to justify the price by saying that it is all inclusive food and drink whilst you are there, but even so I think far too expensive for what it is - they obviously don't really want outside visitors.

We hired mountain bikes (and bike hats) from a local hire centre. These were only 6 euros per bike for 2 hours and was something a bit different to do.

There is also a very old castle at the nature reserve which was about 1.5 miles from the hotel which is worth a look. They run horse and trap rides up to the castle if you don't want to walk it or have small children who can't do the distance.

We really enjoyed our holiday and would return to Sa Coma and to this hotel.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher up floors have a better sea view, but all rooms do have a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Very clean and modern hotel with a great location and very friendly bar staff, with a special mention to Ishmael. The children entertainers also work very hard all day. Be warned that during the peak season we had to be up early to get sunbeds (7:30 - 8:00) the only negative for us was that the food was not the best with a few evenings where there was nothing we could eat and had to go out for a meal.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
4  Thank darren t
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks ai. We were given key to our room 117 which was situated over reception. The balcony and room had no privacy from neighbours not even a wall or railings and could see directly into our room. There are no drawers where you can put personal things in, just 3 shelves in wardrobe. Hanging space was limited so my grandson ended up living out of a suitcase. Rooms were cleaned 5 days out of 7. Maids did a reasonable job. Food was very very poor. Not only by choice but quality too. Hardly anything to eat for children. Staff were very friendly especially the older of the waiters. He took a liking to my grandson and would make him feel welcome. Entertainment was the worst I've seen in all my holiday visits for 40 years. Pool area was disgustingly dirty. Spilt drinks were by the lounger for the 7 days and not scrubbed once, resulting in stinking sticky dirty feet. As for the pool, there was yellow scum floating in the pool which looked like vomit for days and the sides of pool a thick scum ring around the edge. A few people reported it to reception and was told it was from sun cream and the wind. Maintainance just scooped it up with a net and emptied on grass by side of pool. I just came back from windy Lanzarote and never once in my holidays ever seen anything. So bad. If you wear anything light coloured in the pool be prepared to throw it away as everything turns yellow. Do know what they are using in the pools but need to sort out. This holiday cost us £2100 for 3 and we feel totally ripped off. This should be classed as 2* at the most. The hotels position is the best in the centre of sa coma and sillot.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family