“Our first visit to Sa Coma won't be our last :-)”

Blue Sea Gran Playa
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Sa Coma
Reviewed 28 June 2017

We visited Blue Sea Gran Playa at the end of May and had a wonderful time. Due to late flight times we didn't check in until the early hours of Sunday morning - but we were greeted by a polite member of staff who checked us in no problems at all. Our room was lovely, nice clean bathroom and bedding was clean (the only things I really look for!) Nice big balcony which was perfect for a drink at night time. We spent most of the day time at the beach seeing as it's about a 3 minute walk away - gorgeous blue sea and white sand that we're both missing :-) The food was lovely, can't complain at all when it's nice and warm and no one judges you for shoving about 10 sausages on your breakfast plate in a morning. We're both cocktail lovers so after a day of swimming in the sea we loved coming back to the hotel, getting a few drinks in and grabbing a sunbed for a couple of hours before tea. Thank you for making our first 'couples' holiday wonderful Blue Sea, we have holiday blues for sure (my boyfriend hasn't even taken his all inclusive wristband off yet!) We will be returning to Sa Coma for sure :-)

Room Tip: Just get drunk and have a good time!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Hotel R, Customer Reviews Manager at Blue Sea Gran Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear Rosiesharp,

Your publication makes all of us very happy. Thank you very much for such a positive and favourable opinion about our Blue Sea Gran Playa Aparthotel. Also you are very kind to recommend us to other travelers. Thank you very much.

Among all the information provided by you, our favourite part is your intention to visit us again in the future. For the hotel staff, the fidelity of our customers is what makes us happier. Thank you for mentioning it and be always welcome.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

Good bits first: The hotel is slightly off the beaten track - close enough to Sa Coma "High St", but far enough away for it to be away from the hustle & bustle of it. Literally a five minute walk from the beach and shops. Sa Coma is within walking distance (a nice hour stroll) of Cala Millor and S'Illot in the opposite direction. There are lots of bars to stop off at for refreshments on the way. If you don't want to walk, there is a regular bus service which is not expensive. We got the bus to Canymel to see the Arta Caves. The fare was 2.45€ each way. (14€ entry fee, but well worth a visit)

The hotel: We arrived at around 9pm on the Saturday evening. the check in process was slow, one member of staff incapable of multi tasking. A couple of young ladies in front of us were to be rehoused for the night, not sure why, but as they were only staying for four nights, this was a real inconvenience. We, however, were allowed to stay and had a room on the 5th floor. As evening meals had finished for the night, there was cold food available for us. This was quite adequate.

First impressions of the room - nothing spectacular, but hey it's just a room - we weren't expecting the ritz. We had a fridge in the room, The door was disgusting, it looked okay in side, but the state of the door was enugh to put you enough leaving anything in it. On the balcony there is an airer thing to hang your wet stuff on. Ours was broken (hanging off the wall), but I fixed it with the cork screw... The beds were comfortable enough.

Reading the bumf that is issued on check in, we knew that the cleaners don't clean on Sunday's and Thursday's. My clumsy friend dropped a glass on the balcony floor on the Saturday night. I swept up what I could and we were careful of broken glass, knowing that the cleaners were due on Monday. Monday came, so did the cleaners. but they didn't clean the balcony. We saw the cleaners a couple of rooms ahead and asked them to come back. They did and we had a clean balcony. My clumsy friend spilled a few drops of red wine on Tuesday night, Balcony not cleaned on Wednesday, cleaners day off Thursday. Having been out all morning, we got back to the room on Friday afternoon (2.40) and the cleaners hadn't been - there was no sign of them in corridors. My friend asked reception why they hadn't been. She was informed that the cleaners have to clean all rooms by 3pm. This gave them 20 mins to clean the entire block. Oddly, the cleaners appeared within minutes, There is a request that if towels need changing, the dirty ones should be placed in the bath. Oneday, we had nice clean towels - the dirty ones were still in the bath. On the "20 mins to clean the block" day, we also needed clean towels and a clean bath mat. So we did and we did get clean towels. Five hand towels. The cleaner clearly didn't have enough bath towels on her trolley and was too lazy to go and top up her trolley, so left five hand towels. We are grown women, not Borrowers! Hand towels did not cut it. Another trip to reception, hand towels swapped for bath towels.

Whilst we are on the cleanliness (or lack of it) subject, there was a sticking plaster on the stairs between floor one and two. I saw it on Tuesday - it was still there when we left this morning (Saturday). Cleaning the corridors/stairs also not a priority.

The food was basic, but okay. Chips with everything, pasta if you don't like chips. Pizza was questionable, but on everyday. Plenty of salad items. Empty trays weren't replaced very quickly, but if you waited long enough you'd see new trays being brought out. Deserts were boring. However, the little pots of ice cream were really good.

Many all-inclusive hotels offer a packed lunch service for those wishing to spend the day on a trip etc. This hotel does not offer such a service. But, we made some sandwiches using the breaksfast items. Oh, I've not mentioned breakfast. There's a toaster, fresh fruit, cold meats, cheese etc. I don't do fry ups, so I can't comment on the cooked breakfast.

The pool area always seemed clean. Lots of empty plastic cups blowing around in the breeze, but if guests cleared up after themselves a bit more, this wouldn't be a problem. It was hard work getting a sunbed in the mornings, unless you got up at 7.30 to put your towel out. Afternoon's weren't a problem, sunbeds became available.

Bar staff weren't over friendly. Not rude and abusive, just not over friendly. Service was sometimes a bit slow - one member of staff on the beach bar during the day. The beach bar doubles as the restaurant bar at meal times. Again, only one member of staff who doesn't seem to appreciate the first come first served concept. You could be waiting one side and watch him serve new customers who arrive at the other bar.

Check out - we were advised that we would be picked at 7.30am. I asked if we would be getting a breakfast (breakfast starts at 8.00) the lady on reception assured us that we would get some. On arriving at the restaurant this morning, we were told that breakfast starts at 8am and there was no breakfast available before this. We badgered one the restaurant staff who was setting up to let us have some cold stuff to see us on our way.

In house entertainment - I say "entertainment" the three guys and a girl weren't highly entertaining really. There was bingo and Karaoke. A couple of outside artists (Parrot show and Birds of Prey), but other than that, evening entertainment was very substandard.

Don't get me wrong, the stay wasn't unpleasant in anyway. But, many things need addressing - even if it's a new cleaning policy!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank PollyWollyDoodle9
Hotel R, Customer Reviews Manager at Blue Sea Gran Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Appreciated PollyWollyDoodle9,

Thank you for taking so much time to review your stay in our Blue Sea Gran Playa Aparthotel. Your long and detailed writing contains much information that will surely be very interesting to other readers and especially useful to us too.

We read all your message attentively to analyze the points that we can still improve. We are especially interested in the part about overall cleanliness. Obviously, the cleaning of the common areas or the room are an important part to achieve our guests' satisfaction, so we will try to improve it as much as possible.

Finally, we would like to thank you for your positive comments. We are glad to see that, in general and despite a few criticisms, the stay has been to your liking. We also thank you for the high rating granted to our facilities.

Please receive our kindest greetings from Majorca.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

First of all. I have been to this hotel many times and NEVER had any issues with rooms, staff or anything else. The staff in the main ARE all friendly if YOU make an effort.
It really riles me when some of the reviews moan about "towels on sunbeds". I am an early riser, so at 630 I sit and read and save beds, but I dont walk off and leave them. If you want to guarantee a sunbed, then get out of your pit. But even in June, there were plenty of beds still after breakfast...

Moaning about half pint cups... What is wrong with some people? You can go back as many times as you like or is it too inconvinient to walk 20 yards to the bar?

The young entertainments team were absolutely fantastic!! Jay and Mady from Holland and young scamp Tony from Espana, all lead by my amigo Sito (Luis). They made my two grandsons holiday and really made a great effort with all ages.
Enough to do during the day in respect to pool, archery, shooting etc... If you didn't want to do it, then there was no pressure.
The evening entertainment was very tongue in cheek at times, but hey it's a holiday, you're supposed to be enjoying yourself!! The grandkids enjoyed the parrot and bird show and especially the karaoke, which led to me getting up too. Had some great nights.
Dont believe the bad reviews here. I agree that sometimes things go wrong, but in my opinion the staff try their best to sort things out.
Looking forward to the proposed refit, I think that it will more kid friendly after that and the rooms are due an upgrade.
I spoke to the director of the hotel, Rafael and told him about my visits. He shook my hand and thanked me and I received a bottle of sparkly wine in the three rooms that my family were staying in.
All staff seem to work hard. From the 'boss man' Pepe, Felipe, Sarah and three new staff (sorry don't know names) to the bar staff Cati in the day and another amigo Jose in the evening, it really was a great family holiday and I will definitely return here.
Remember - If you make the effort, you get something back.

Room Tip: All rooms have pool views.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank nigeofbrackley

Dear nigeofbrackley,
Thank you so much for such a positive and extensive opinion. It wa very kind of you to take the time to comment in such a detailed and positive way your stay in our Hotel. It makes us happy to see that this is not the first time you come to visit and that it will not be the last either.

We thank you very much for your positive comments about our staff and about the effort we make to please our guests. The friendly and attentive service is one of the main objectives that we all have, so when a client like you values it so positively we feel very proud.

Mr. Rafael, the Director, and the rest of the team are sending a warm greeting from Sa Coma. We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Very friendly staff especially Tony, Jay and Maddy who are part of the entertainment crew. The food was good quality especially the pork, which they had every day in one form or another. People putting towels on sunbeds and not coming to sit on them until the afternoon was a problem. We soon worked out that we could remove the towels and there were enough beds for everyone. A sign should be put up around the pool to stop people doing that. When I told one of the staff, they came round and removed all unattended towels. There were quite a few instances where guests arrived and there were no rooms for them. Some had been sent there from other hotels, some had booked through an internet company. The companies were all different so I can only summize that it was a hotel booking problem. So be careful who you book through and email the hotel to make sure they have your booking so as you have redress when you get there. Lots of activities during the day to get involved in. Evening entertainment was a bit sad but there are lots of bars and restaurants nearby with live music and kareoke and some quieter ones. I understand that the hotel is being refurbished this winter so it should be a lot nicer next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are apartments All have good Air con. There are some with a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ensigna88

Dear ensigna88,
Many thanks for your positive comments about the staff and the service offered to our guests. We are glad to see that despite some small details, your stay has been satisfying.

It is already planned that, when this season is over, we will begin with the total refurbishment of all our apartments. We are going to make a great effort and investment so that the furniture is remodeled. Thus, we hope to achieve better satisfaction of our guests.

Not only Toni, Jay or Mandy are glad to have had you as guests, but we all thank you for recommending us to other travelers and granting us a high rating.

We would like to have you with us again next year so that you can enjoy the total refurbishment.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

We ( myself husband and 21 year old daughter) arrived around 4pm checked in quickly by the lady on reception, went to our room on the 6th floor, rooms decent size clean with nice white bedding and towels, balcony overlooking the pool, air con amazing... went to evening meal, this is where slightly bad points for me food is plentiful, empty trays refilled quickly but food is very repetitive but my husband says It was all tasty but I manly just eat chips salad n my daughter every day pasta, n sauce with salad,as for lunch most people don't really want beef or lamb stew for lunch on holiday in 34 degree heat,so although it was nice it was not really what I wanted to eat. Drinks were standard alinclusive although husband did find half pints a pain, cocktails were pre made n tasted a bit powerful, staff were very hard working and sometimes smiled if u very lucky, pools was fab, plenty loungers, entainers were very fun around the pool, tried hard in the evening but not every1 wants to join in with them so made their job hard, sa coma has a lovely beach, the resort is small but nice,we went here as our daughter is a kids rep in another hotel for the summer so will be going to sa coma again before the end of the season, would I stay at gran playa again, for the price I paid for three adults alinclusive, I probley would but eat out a couple of times in the evening

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank lynnjess45

Hello lynnjess45,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at our Blue Sea Gran Playa. We are glad to see that you consider the establishment in general as satisfactory despite some minor criticisms about the food.

Your suggestions matter a lot to us. Sometimes it is difficult to reach the culinary taste of all our international guests, so we strive every day to achieve it.

We are also glad to see that you liked the area very much. Indeed, the beach of Sa Coma is a good place to spend a pleasant family holiday. We hope your child enjoyed it, too.

Finally, we just want to thank you once again for your visit.