“Typical Riu Quality” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 181 Hotels in Calvia
Pool in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
“Typical Riu Quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We chose this hotel, when my wife and I, travelled with her sister and husband,mainly on the reviews of TA. We have been to Majorca numerous times, but for the other two it was their first time. We wanted somewhere, not too far from Palma, and having stayed at other Riu hotels, we knew that there are of a good standard.
We booked directly with the hotel, as at the time, it was the same price as other sites. We requested early check in,sea view room as high as possible, and rooms close together. All requests were met.We were offered glasses of cava on arrival, whilst check in procedures were completed.
The rooms are fine, and the staff overall, are very good. Breakfasts are excellent. The only criticism is the toaster.One manual machine,which often presented queues of people, waiting to put their bread on the tray.Two ' conveyer ' toasters would be an improvement.
Dinners are good. Plenty of choice, one hot, one cold soup, salads with meat/fish, pastas, and hot plates of meats, fish etc. Ice creams and sweets to follow. Not as good as food being cooked to order, but to be fair, buffets rarely are, in my opinion. Again another criticism, the food was not always hot enough. After making the staff aware, things did improve, but there was still the instance of, eg chips 'burning ' your mouth, whereas ' new ' potatoes being luke warm, from the same hot plate area. It may be a case of not being able to please all people all of the time.Perhaps, local people, ie those cooking the food, as they live in a warmer climate than us, don't like their food as hot. Nevertheless, good choice, and you won't go hungry.
Two pools, neither very big, which at busy times, could well pose a problem for beds, and swimming in the pools. At the time we were there, it was fine. Pool snack bar ok as well.
No 3 bus stops outside hotel. We purchased 10 trip ticket for 8 euros from tobacconist, or ' Wine Palace ' supermrket, 100mtrs down the road. Ticket is definately worth it if you intend to make a few journeys. Buses are every 7 mins Mon-Fri, 10 mins, Sat/Sun. 40 mins into Palma.
Spar supermarket, down at bottom of hill at the traffic lights, has good choice of most items, and is cheaper than the ones on the doorstep.
Not a lot to do in this area. We normally enjoy having a walk after dinner, and although it is possible, it is only around the local streets. Generally very quiet, with not a great choice of bars/restaurants, so if that is what you are looking for, you would need to take the bus/taxi a little further afield.
Getting from the airport, is possible, using the buses, providing you do not have numerous suitcases!. No 1 airport bus, just outside arrivals hall, to Porto Pi. ( 2 euros ) Change to No 3, to outside hotel,1.25 euros. Approx 50-60 minutes in total. Ask driver for Porto Pi stop, as we went past, and had to have a short walk to No 3 bus stop. Return journey is no problem, as both buses stop at same place at Porto Pi.
When we were leaving, we received our bill in euros, but when presented with credit card terminal, the total had been converted into pounds. When I objected
, I was told that it was the machine that automatically did this. As we were on our way to the airport, and did not have time to take it further,we had to accept it. Under normal circumstances, we have always been offered the choice of currency, in which to pay, and even on the receipt of the credit card, we noticed when we were on our way to the airport, it stated that we had had the opportunity to pay in either currency, and had chosen pounds. Fortunately, the amount was not very much, but I will be writing to the manager after this review, ( who by the way is very pleasant and welcoming ) bringing this matter to her attention.
Overall, a very pleasant stay, and although unlikely to choose this area again, should we return to Majorca, we would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Virtually, all rooms will have sea views, except lower ground floor. Request room as high as possibl...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
9 Thank VincenzoFrancisco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Although I'm very sorry to hear the recent review that someone has had their holiday ruined through the over booking system (and I would have been devastated too!), I can only say positive things about this hotel. I too searched long and hard to find what I was looking for and I was not disappointed. The Bonanza Park is in a great location (unlike some hotels which are just slightly further away down a steep and hilly area with very little in the ways of bars/restaurants) I'm so pleased I chose this hotel. The hotel is very clean and well kept. We were very lucky to have been upgraded to a senior suite (a bungalow with a lounge and huge patio area) which was just awesome with a fabulous view over looking Palma Bay, but looking around the hotel, I noticed that all rooms are positioned either on the front or side of the hotel meaning all rooms have a sea view (some will be better than others depending on how near to the front of the hotel and how high up the bedroom is). I don't know why we were upgraded, maybe it was due to the overbooking system? but thank you Bonanza Park! The restaurant and bar area have terraces which are slightly elevated so the fabulous views overlooking Palma Bay can be enjoyed. My biggest gripe when going on holiday is not being able to find a vacant sun lounger and when we were told that the hotel was at full capacity I expected the usual problem, but it didn't happen. No matter what time of day we went to the pool, there were always sun loungers available, we found it hard to believe that the hotel was full because no where was crowded, there were no queues for anything, it was just all very peaceful and perfect. Across the road is the sister hotel (Bonanza Playa) which we were told we could use all the facilities except the pool area and sun loungers (for the same reasons I've just mentioned which I totally agree with), however, as the nearest beach was quite a walk away we used the Bonanza Playa to access the sea where there is a great (though very very tiny) beach and rocky area, great for snorkelling and water sports. Outside of the Bonanza Park is the bus stop to Palma (very frequent and cheap bus service) which once again was brilliant. On the last night of our holiday we went into a restaurant just opposite and to the right of the hotel called Sorrentos. I presumed it was an Italian restuarant and was pleasantly surprised to walk in to find that it was partially in the open air in a lovely garden with an ongoing BBQ taking place. The BBQ was fresh fish of the day (you can choose your own fish) chicken, home made burgers, ribs, salad rice etc etc, you pay one price and eat as much as you want. Well worth a visit. Illietas is a very quiet area with a few bars/eating places so this area would not suit anyone looking for nightlife. We were looking for a relaxing holiday so it suited us absolutely perfectly. We went into most of the bars but kept returning to Bar Illetas which is more or less next door to the hotel, a great bar (with air conditioning) run by two very friendly brothers who make this a relaxing and very nice place to chill out. Illetas is hilly, so bear this in mind if you have any walking difficulties. Also, there is no sea front to walk along as all the hotels are built into the rock, so once again, if you enjoy walking down a promenade you will not find it here. The prices of food/drink in Illetas is more expensive than neighbouring resorts, but it reflects in the area. I personally cannot fault the hotel or Illetas itself and we are already looking at dates to go back next year (which is something we rarely do). Although the over booking system concerns me, I'm still going to go ahead and rebook because we just can't wait to go back! Thank you Bonanza Park and Bar Illetas for a truly fantastic holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms on the right hand side of the hotel have the sun on the balcony most of the day, ask at recept...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stefi2
Kegworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

After a lot of research liked the look of this hotel and booked 2 rooms in July through TravelRepublic for week beginning 9th September - bookings confirmed. Told on the 7th September that hotel was overbooked and they offered alternative of RIU Festival Hotel in Playa de Palma - location not suitable and inferior hotel. Can't believe that overbooking can happen without design - Festival has rooms avavilable, ploy to fill up sister hotels!. Will probably lose money paid for flight. Frustrated, angry does not come close. Holiday re-scheduled to Fuerteventura - fingers crossed!

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank phill51
lancs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

On this site there are many favourable reviews about this hotel, and I presume that the Management and Staff of the Bonanza Park Hotel are feeling quite pleased with themselves. However I have some comments that will make them think again.

Myself and my wife stayed at this hotel from 13-20.08.11 and there were a few things that irritated us from the first day to the last! We were quite tired when we arrived which is normal, but instead of a quick check in we were left standing with our luggage until the only receptionist at the desk dealt with a queue of current guests. You would have thought that a 4 star hotel would have more than one receptionist on duty at the one time. We were offered a complimentary drink but I’m afraid this didn’t make up for our initial irritation.

When we finally checked in we were given a very nice bungalow (number 751) which was quite a nice surprise and first impressions indicated that we were going to have a very pleasant stay, however this didn’t last long. The next morning we were awoken to the sound of very noisy staff banging and shouting without any regard for the guests. It turned out that the room which contained all the fresh linen was beside our bungalow. So we awoke to the same thing every morning, and telling them to keep quiet was a waste of time, they just seemed incapable of going about their work quietly.

I don’t know if we were just unlucky but the noise is not just the only complaint I have about the bungalow. The bungalow had quite a nice balcony and on the first evening we settled down with a couple of drinks. However we couldn’t believe the horrible smell that suddenly wafted past us, until we discovered that there was an open drain next to the balcony. I’m afraid this was the last drink we had there.

Lastly on our final day we checked out in the morning and were allowed to store our luggage in the hotel until our airport transfer in the evening which is standard for most hotels. But this hotel boasted a very nice Courtesy room which was offered to us to freshen up before we left for the airport, which was good because we were going to spend our last day in a very hot Palma. But one room just didn’t cover the number of guests who were checking out and obviously had been promised the same thing as us. So we never got to see the inside of this Courtesy room on our return from Palma. Dare I say that the Courtesy room is a complete waste of space!

I do not want to say anything about the good points of this hotel as they are well documented. But I think it is safe to say that no Hotel should rest on their laurels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank ladydaphne
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

My wife and I are frequent guests of the Riu group of hotels. We like the service and reputation of the group. The Riu Bonanza Park was no exception. Good food, clean rooms, well kept, quiet swimming pools and surrounds and excellent service from hard working, efficient and friendly staff. We stayed for 5 nights and have no complaints whatsoever about the hotel. I particularly liked the swimming pool area. There are 2 pools, each surrounded by wooden decking. There is a snack bar serving drinks and meals. The pool area is very relaxed and quiet. Perfect for a relaxing break in the sun. The water is clean and was regularly tested by the pool staff. Towels are supplied - deposit required. We stayed on a half board basis and found the quality of the food was very good. Varied, well cooked and presented, with attentive and polite staff in attendance. Long trousers are compulsory in the evening in the dining room.The hotel manager was very visible throughout our stay and went out of her way to speak to guests and canvas opinions.

Is there a negative in this review? Well, yes, unfortunately. The resort of Illetas is a small resort, handily placed for forays into the capital Palma. Unfortunately, its' small size means there is a general lack of competition between bars, supermarkets etc with a consequence that the prices for drinks etc was rather expensive. We like to spend time at the beach and, whilst there, retired to the terrace bar of Bar Balague at the beach for some lunch. I ordered a salad with ham and cheese and, at 12 euros, expected, at least some serrano ham and edible cheese. What I got was some limp lettuce thrown on a plate together with cheap cubed processed ham and cheap cubed plastic cheese, both of which were obviously toppings for pizzas being served at the bar. A gin and tonic was over 7 euros in most bars. Be warned.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple