“Perfect for families with young ones”

Club Martha's Aparthotel
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 25 September 2012

returned again this September after having a wonderful time there last year.

The hotel staff are great and gave us the same room that we had requested - We opted for the block that is away from the pool and show area, purely as I am a light sleeper and the shows can be very loud.

The 1 bedroom apartments are lovely and spacious and always so clean on arrival - I would suggest that you purchase bathroom / kitchen cleaner though as in the time you stay there the apartments do not seem to be cleaned so much - Towels and clean linen are provided though and the cleaning staff are really lovely.

You have probably read the other reviews that mention the kettle / toaster / TV usage etc having to be hired at an extra cost, I do not agree with this, but that is just the way it is and if you know that that is what to expect you just guess.

My husband purchased the wifi access when we were there which was €30 for the 2 weeks, we used it alot really, maps for when we were going out, to listen to the local radio station etc, but one of the main reason we got it was that our daughter likes to look at all the Dora, Mickey Mouse etc clips on You Tube; however be warned that the access does not allow for streaming, so this is not possible.

There are 3 pool areas, all of which are lovely - there is a main one that is 2 pools in one near to the cafe / bar area, one over by the show area, both with umberellas and then a further one we only found this year in what I think was the 3 star part of the hotel which is down past the tennis courts (does not have umberellas). As we went late on in the season there was always plenty of beds for everyone and yes there was always the few that went down and reserved the ones they wanted as with everywhere.

The Pizza bar in the hotel is not as good as it was last year, but still nice if you are self catering do not want to venture out.

You really cant fault this complex if you have kids - they have activities in the day time and a disco from 8.30pm every night which is just great.

Our daughter was really poorly this year for the most of our holiday and I was so impressed with the on site doctor who is on site twice a day, She spoke great English and has such a wonderful manner about her, I was so grateful of that.

The resort itself is quiet, but has plenty of nice places to eat from cafe style to posh restaurant my favourite was Tentol next to the larger Spar (if anyone is due to go please go and check on the Mummy cat and her 4 gorgeous kittens on the roof of the Spar, they look down on you while you have your dinner in Tentol). Another lovely restaurant is La Marina, it is quaint, a little expensive , but such lovely staff who even remembered us from the year before.

Nighlife is pretty non-existant if you are looking for anything other than football - there is bar that is called Sparkles that has a woman that does Karaoke, she has an amazing voice, but is one of those karaoke hosts that likes the sound of her own voice a lot and tends to sing herself more than let the punters sing. But when there is football on they sometimes dont even put the Karaoke on regardless of whether it is advertised as being on - this seemed to be the theme throughout Cala Dor I am told.

The shows at the hotel are a bit "put together" by the team of 8 entertainers, but they are fun I guess - often they have acts brought in too and the odd parrot and snake show

You must venture the short walk to the marina and go to NOA the Thai restaurant it is truely stunning. The marina itself is a lovely place to walk around and you can get to Cala Dor from there - take some bread and feed the fish that swim around the boats, they practically swim out over eachother when they are feeding.

As much as I love Marthas and the area I do not think we will be returning to Mallorca purely because it is just so so so expensive now, even in comparison to last year - for instance a beer is €3.50, the mark up on a bottle of wine is twice as much as the UK, the supermarkets are very expensive too - We went into Palma for the day had a coffee, orange juice, Malibu and tonic and a Guinness and it cost us €24.10!!!!! it is such a shame, but maybe when the Euro crisis is over things will start to level out.

I will always have very fond memories of Marthas and hope that one day we can return

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MAC-IOM

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed here for 7 nights with my husband and 3 year old. A great place to stay, no complaints about the hotel at all. Didn't really see any of the entertainment as our wee one goes to bed early so can't comment on that. Cala Egos is a great family holiday a nice quiet place and the beach is beautiful and clean. There is a nice walk round to the marina at cala d'or which is only about 10 minutes and the road train takes you into cala d'or for 2 euros.
The pools at the hotel were great and there were plenty of sun loungers although we were there out with school holidays. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was a good size and very clean, towels changed every few days.
Plenty of restaurants locally and we ate in the hotel a couple of times and the food was nice.
We were aware before we went about the rental charges for kettles, remote controls etc so we didn't bother can honestly say we didn't miss these things.
Have already recommended this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3302 which had lovely views out towards the sea and had a very large balcony with...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RSY1980

Based in calas Egos just outside Cala D'or
Excellent Nightime entertainment for whole family
Lovely freindly staff and very clean
Drinks a bit pricey but be warned spirits are very strong!
Lovely surrounding area with plenty of pubs and restaurants
Definatley reccommend this hotel and resort

Room Tip: Take the walk into Cala'dor via the marina
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hangus_8
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at Club Martha's for a week in mid September. We actually booked into Es Bolero, but when we arrived we were put in the main block (for reference, Es Bolero is literally ten seconds away and the apartments looked just as good). It was just my husband and I (early 30s) and we had an absolutely brilliant time. I'm a child of the 80s and spent many summer holidays in places like this when I was younger. I was a little bit concerned it would be really focused on kids activities, but as we went after the school summer holidays there was a really nice mix of older couples and younger couples with very young children. I'd say it was about 50% English and 50% German/Dutch/Polish and everyone was very polite and friendly. We had an apartment with large bedroom, lounge/kitchen and separate bathroom. The place was absolutely spotless and well maintained. There were two large pools and an additional small one for kids. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially on reception. We arrived past midnight but there were still plenty of people around and the whole place felt very safe, even late at night. There were several restaurants in the complex offering pretty standard buffet/snacks so we ate out most nights and just had lunches from the supermarkets.

The hotel is in Cala Egos, which I thought from reviews would be quite residential (with locals I mean) but it's entirely manmade for tourists with several large hotels and a couple of strips of bars and restaurants. I'm not sure if it was the time of year, but the whole place was quite quiet.. certainly not full of stag do's like some resorts on the island! There were several supermarkets about a minute from the hotel too. That part of the resort isn't the prettiest place in the world, but literally two or three minutes away you have several lovely beaches (there are about six 'Cala's' dotted along the coast). The Cala D'or marina is approx 10 minutes walk and was absolutely lovely, we spent a lot of time down there especially in the evenings and it's a really pleasant walk with lovely restaurants looking out to all the posh yachts!

There are several buses that go through the resort to places on the island. We got the bus to Palma but it was absolutely manic, especially coming back, because so many people were waiting for the bus. If I went back again, I'd be tempted to join a tour to Palma and another place because you'd probably get a bit more for your money and have a bit more of a relaxing day!! If I could do one day trip I'd probably go to Valdemossa and Formentor in the north (the pretty part of the island), rather than Palma - but that might just be because I've been several times to the city now.

Cala D'Or is slightly bigger and is about 20 mins walk or 5-10 mins on the little local tourist road train. From there you can get to several similar beaches and there are quite a few more restaurants and bars. We went there one day but were really quite happy staying in Cala Egos and around the marina.

We got a really good deal with On The Beach and would 100% return to both Club Marthas and Cala Egos. Personally, as we don't have kids yet, I would again go slightly out of season as I imagine it does get pretty busy with families in summer months.

I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone, except perhaps big groups looking for a wild night out because you won't find that in Cala Egos! The hotel was lovely and you felt everyone could just do their own thing without being bothered by other people. You can get involved as little or much as you like.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Best place ive ever stayed, would deff go back... Have 2 children 13yr old and a 7yr old. .. Perfect! entertainment was great... Lovely and clean and friendly staff. . No complaints at all.. In an ideal place to visit lots of places. . Bus service doesnt run for long in the day so plan ahead early. . Local tourist train is only 2 euros :

• Stayed: September 2012