“A truly wonderful rural country retreat...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Cortijo Carranque

Typical Scenery
Lakes to the North
Wonderful Walking
Citrus Orchards
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Foodie042
London, United Kingdom
“A truly wonderful rural country retreat, lovingly restored by the owners. A relaxing tranquil break.”
Reviewed 16 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

I spent some time researching for a country retreat where I could spend a relaxing weekend.
Cortijo Carranque ticked every box. The Cortijo is set in a beautiful unspoilt valley surrounded by green fields , stunning views and a meandering river nearby. It is a few miles from the town 'Coin' .. As you leave Coin take the A366 towards Alozaina. Thanks to Angela's very clear instructions sent to me by email , I found the Cortijo straight away .
From the minute I arrived the hosts Angela and Martin made me feel very welcome and at home. The rooms are spotless , with lovely crisp sheets ,a very comfortable bed , thick white towels and bathmat. The restoration of the old building was beautifully done with lots of sofas and chairs set outside in the Cloister .They have built a fabulous swimming pool ,surrounded by tropical plants and complete with sunbeds . A lovely area to spend the afternoon sunbathing
Angela offered me a very welcome cup of tea as soon as I arrived . The food being prepared in the kitchen smelt so good that I asked if I could stay for lunch and dinner. I am so glad I did. Everything is freshly made with love and attention. The delicious Gazpacho with home made warm bread and the Spanish tortilla were both very tasty . A lovely salad too.
in the afternoon I sat outside on the cosy courtyard , It has a wonderful calming feel and I struggled to read a book as I felt the need for a siesta. A very restful sleep indeed!
Later on in the afternoon I took a stroll along the nearby river .
At around 8pm Angela served up another homemade meal with Roast Chicken, a selection of Mediterranean vegetables roasted in olive oil with a jacket potato , butter and gravy .
For dessert ,a tart with chocolate ice cream . Scrumptious.
There is so much to see and do , locally in the countryside and to the many ancient surrounding towns and villages , not least Ronda which boasts the oldest bullring in Spain. A day is needed here to see the spectacular gorge and to try one of the many tapas bars and restaurants.
All in all a highly recommended place to relax and unwind. Angela has a list of many walks nearby with helpful directions and maps .
In the morning , we were treated to a hearty breakfast of hot bread, home made jams and marmalades, cured meats, cheeses, fresh fruits , yoghurt, cereals and fresh orange juice as well as pots of freshly brewed tea and coffee . A truly unforgettable retreat at a very affordable price .
Will I go back? Yes most definitely !!! I cant wait .

Liked best: The spectacular countryside
Liked least: Nothing
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
lynne_pat...
Paisley, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place to get away from it all!”
Reviewed 15 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

I came to Cortijo Carranque for a bit of a retreat, needing some rest and refreshment, and I couldn't have picked a better place. As hosts, Angela and Martin go a mile above and beyond the call of duty, with the perfect amount of company over meals and space by myself. I felt like I was welcomed into the family.

I was a little concerned about how remote it would feel as I didn't hire a car, but Angela and Martin suggested walks and places to visit, with maps all the instructions already written down, and then took me to the bus stop or picked me up from nearby villages. Their desire to service and bless the people who stay with them is way beyond what you would expect.

The meals were all delicious, my room was so comfortable and the little pool is a haven of calm. A perfect spot for an escape, and great if you are travelling on your own as I was.

adrientei...
“Felt so welcome”
Reviewed 13 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

Tucked away from Coin but so worth the extra travel! We were made to feel at home by Angela and Martin who are so knowledgeable about this area. The room was marvellous and the bed so comfortable. Breakfast was copious and included. We had one evening meal there and that included aperitif, wine and nightcap! Excellent food. Marvellous value. We would have no hesitation in going back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and comfort
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children
lilyp0nd
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Amazing place with wonderful wildlife”
Reviewed 13 January 2015 for a stay in May 2014

I had stayed here in 2013 and decided to go back in the Spring. For anyone with an interest in natural beauty and/or birdlife, CC cannot be beaten. Whilst there I saw amazing views of bee-eaters, golden oriole, Sardinian warblers, the ever present terrapins and various birds of prey. The highlight however was going down to the river in the evening. The light was so beautiful and to hear the frogs chorus and watch nightjars displaying was amazing. Martin and Angela are really friendly owners with a genuine warmth, you can partake of good food and have the freedom to explore the surrounding area. This is a fantastic choice for time out from the hustle and bustle of our world. I can't wait to have the opportunity to return.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location, beautiful walks and wildlife
Liked least: Coming home!
Your age range 50-64
Dazeyduke...
“Fantastic location and brilliant hosts”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

I attended with a group for a wedding. I had a two year old with me and have to say I was amazed at how accomodating Angela and Martin were. They went out of their way to ensure my daughter had toys to play with, that all of the rooms were extremely clean and well stocked with all of the neceessaries. The location is literally in the middle of nowhere and is perfect for relaxation. My partner and I loved it and will be back. My daughter didn't want to leave!!
They both know the area and its history and are extremely helpful in directing trips and recommending places to eat and visit.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The peace and picturesqueness
Travelling group: Large Group
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing