“Good food”
Review of Restaurant Zeus

Restaurant Zeus
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Bacharach
Cuisines: Greek
Description: Greek hospitality in a pleasant atmosphere In our comfortably furnished restaurant we offer you 40 seats. On our terrace additional 50 seats are available in the summer.
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

We chose to eat at a greek restaurant in one of the prettiest villages in the Rhineland. I’m glad we did. Food was fresh and really tasty. Importantly, it wasn’t a traditionally heavy Bavarian meal! Would recommend.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Came here for dinner one night of the two nights we spent in Bacharach. We did not have a reservation and the restaurant was crowded. The host, however did find us a nice table outside. They serve a complimentary ouzo as an aperitif - delicious! The food was good, the service was good, the ambiance was lovely. Nothing bad to say at all - a delightful evening.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018

We were grateful that Zeus was open late, as everything else in Bacharach had closed at 9:00pm. The baked feta appetizer was excellent. My wife ordered the Lamb Filet, which was fantastic, I had a gyro dish which seemed to be large chunks of pork simmered in a tomato and yogurt sauce. I did not see mushroom included in the dish description (I just double checked) but the dish was swimming with them, pork was tough...wish I had ordered the lamb.

At the end of the meal I had to walk inside to get the check, and was told that they do not accept cards, only cash. I looked around for any signs which notify about this policy, finding none I asked why I wasn't told before ordering. This question was met with a shrug and conversation among the staff in Greek. I was directed to an ATM a few blocks away, which my wife and I were going to walk down to, but the staff directed my wife to remain behind. Unfortunately I had to make another trip back to the restaurant to get the room key from my wife, as I do not carry my bank ATM card out during day trips. Upon my return I was met with a heavy amount of skepticism, borderline hostility, and an intrusive offer from a large staff member to accompany me back to the ATM.

Now, if you go to Bacharach, step out onto the street at 10 pm and you will understand the situation, the place is deserted. Its not like Paris or Miami where a person can disappear 5 feet from the door. My wife and I had to laugh because the staff's behavior was so ridiculous. I work in the restaurant industry, in fine dining service, so I can understand and appreciate the situation, but my wife was made to feel a little uncomfortable by the attitude of mistrust directed toward us.

To the owners at Zeus, please notify your guests if you choose not to accept credit cards. I could easily have stepped down to the ATM after ordering. I don't know what about us gave you the impression that we were not going to pay, but it is your lack of notifying us about your policy that created the situation. Also, if a dish has mushrooms....a LOT of mushrooms, maybe would be a good idea to inform your diners on the menu.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This place rocks...great food and a very friendly staff and owners.Font forget the vanilla ice cream and raspberries for dessert.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Greek food is not my first choice, but this offers a nice change and fresh options to all the local cuisine which can be a bit monotonous. The owner (I presume) is absolutely hilarious and made every table laugh and feel welcome. We shared a greek salad and garlic bread, and then had the pork and the chicken in metaxasauce. With a couple of beers. They are also open the latest in town, which I think works in their favour! Note it is cash only, but there is an ATM on the corner of the main street...

Date of visit: May 2018