“A reliable experience in charming Hilton village”
Review of 99 Main Restaurant - CLOSED

99 Main Restaurant
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2015

Over the years, we have eaten many times at 99 Main. The experience pretty consistent: good food, excellent service and prices to match. I would recommend it a nice dinner with friends.

Reviewed 9 January 2015

Had not dined here in probably 4 months. We live close so like to walk to the restaurant, nice to walk home after having a nice meal here...helps get rid of the full feeling. Last night wind chill was under under 10 degrees but still enjoyed the walk.

One of the nicest things they do is change menu 4 or more times a year. They keep some of their favorites like their onion soup, oysters 99 but consistently come up w/new apps and entrees.

We shared a special of the evening appetizer last night. 6 large artichoke hearts stuffed w/a crabby cream mixture...toped w/light coating of butter panko crumbs. Baked in hot oven w/a very light lemon sauce. Thankfully the server told us the portion could easily be shared. My wife had a grilled salmon special w/crabmeat in a mild lemon butter sauce accompanied with wild mushroom coucous. She loved it, and I mean LOVED it. I had a grilled Cornish Game Hen that was not on the menu the last time I was there. It came w/butternut squash risotto and ginger baked carrots. The risotto and carrots were okay, nothing special. The risotto was bit mushy..the carrots had no discernible taste of ginger. But the Hen was incredible..! Perfectly seasoned and roasted and seasoned with just the right amount of salt and pepper. Garnished w/a currant curry salsa. The salsa was perfect with the hen. I don't think I have had Cornish Hen in a decade or more. Not sure why I ordered it last night, guess mainly because I have never had an entrée that I was not happy with at 99...I could not have been happier w/my dinner.

We shared a lemon tart dessert that was fine.

They have a smart reasonable size wine list. Weds all glasses regardless of normal price, which usually run $ 6-10, are $5. All bottles of wine are reduced by 20%. The wine list seem bit smaller then last time

3  Thank M C
Reviewed 23 November 2014

...My wife said it would have been a perfect meal. We've passed 99 several times, but never when they were open. So, we finally made an effort to go. It's located in the historic Hilton Village district off Warwick, and is well worth the trip. We were welcomed into the cozy, relaxed atmosphere by the very friendly staff. The subsequent service was, not surprisingly, outstanding.
The menu was a concise, eclectic mix (which changes seasonally), and provided us some tough choices to make. My wife settled on the Cornish hen, while I had the special. We were both very satisfied, as the food was absolutely delicious. The wine list was excellent, and even included some nice after dinner selections; including our favorite tawny port. And if you're a scotch drinker, that selection was quite nice as well.
For dessert, we had the truffles...balls of dark chocolate, rolled in cinnamon, the flash-fried. They were very good, but as I mentioned, not cheesecake. My wife will always default to cheesecake.
We'd definitely return to 99 Main. Their layout provides for a romantic meal, a cozy meal with friends, or even a small group.

1  Thank Billy P
Reviewed 8 November 2014

Over the years I have had wonderful meals at 99 Main. Then I ordered a steak with burgandy sauce. It came, completely covered with a dark sauce, which was alright, till I cut into it and put a bite of fat and gristle in my mouth. I discreetly returned it to the plate and tried again, with the same results. I then pushed the sauce off and was really unable to find any lean meat at all. I called the waitress and told her. Her response was that they cook the steak with the fat on because it adds flavor. I can appreciate that, but, cut it off before you serve it and for around $25, do not serve a plate of fat and gristle disguised under sauce. She reluctantly asked if I would like something else. At that point, most of the people at the table were almost finished with dinner, so I said no and handed her the plate. We were charged in full for the meal with no apologies. I will never go back.

1  Thank sandy s
Reviewed 1 October 2014

While exploring Tidewater Virginia, we were looking for a place for dinner. We again looked to Tripadvisor and discovered this well review restaurant. We shared a unique Bok Choy salad which was delicious. Looking for a fish dish, I took our waiter, Jason, suggestion of the Blackened Snapper with Oyster Gumbo Special. It was delicious with a nice spicy kick. Jason, was generous with extra bread to balance the spice. My wife ordered Coq au Vin which was rich and delicious. We share a Creme Brulee to finish the night. Jason's service was personable and attentive, making this visit an excellent experience.

2  Thank tommcril