“When they're hot they're hot, when they're not they're not”
Review of 99 Main Restaurant - CLOSED

99 Main Restaurant
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 8 November 2014

Over the years I have had wonderful meals at 99 Main. Then I ordered a steak with burgandy sauce. It came, completely covered with a dark sauce, which was alright, till I cut into it and put a bite of fat and gristle in my mouth. I discreetly returned it to the plate and tried again, with the same results. I then pushed the sauce off and was really unable to find any lean meat at all. I called the waitress and told her. Her response was that they cook the steak with the fat on because it adds flavor. I can appreciate that, but, cut it off before you serve it and for around $25, do not serve a plate of fat and gristle disguised under sauce. She reluctantly asked if I would like something else. At that point, most of the people at the table were almost finished with dinner, so I said no and handed her the plate. We were charged in full for the meal with no apologies. I will never go back.

1  Thank sandy s

Reviewed 1 October 2014

While exploring Tidewater Virginia, we were looking for a place for dinner. We again looked to Tripadvisor and discovered this well review restaurant. We shared a unique Bok Choy salad which was delicious. Looking for a fish dish, I took our waiter, Jason, suggestion of the Blackened Snapper with Oyster Gumbo Special. It was delicious with a nice spicy kick. Jason, was generous with extra bread to balance the spice. My wife ordered Coq au Vin which was rich and delicious. We share a Creme Brulee to finish the night. Jason's service was personable and attentive, making this visit an excellent experience.

2  Thank tommcril
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Went here, spur of the moment, late one night for a date with my husband. We were blown away by the fishes of the day and the service. Our waitress was adorable, attentive and very informative about the food. The food was scrumptious - it was one of those meals where you really didn't want it to end and even though you were full, you ate up every single last morsel anyway. Can't wait to go back. Loved the atmosphere too, open air when the weather permits!

1  Thank Acforrest
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The food is consistently well prepare. I do wish the menu choices where changed more frequently. The staff are attentive and remember your beverage choice from visit to visit.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We visited this small restaurant on one of the rare occasions when we find ourselves in Newport News. Since we were very early for dinner, we were one of the few occupied tables. The staff were friendly and the food was unique, carefully prepared, and the menu had nice, unusual items on it. We had a lovely evening.