“Wonderful comfortable hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Restaurant l'Ocean
Sligo, Ireland
“Wonderful comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed 2 nights. It is a 2 star property but is worthy of another star. Staff are very helpful et friendly. Ideal location on the island,situated close to St.Martin which has 2 excellent restaurants in La Baleine Bleue et Avant Port. Our room had air conditioning unit,safe,tv,king size bed et lovely quirky bathroom. All was spotlessly clean. We look forward to returning to this friendly hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marycarroll24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed here with my husband for a week in June 2011 and loved it. We stayed in a standard room, which would be quite small in some people's standards, however my husband and I found it to be cosy and comfortable. The bathroom had only a bath with a shower hose, which meant a sit down shower, as no shower screen, but we soon got used to this. Our room had no air conditioning, which you should bear in mind for the summer months. I guess if you are after space, then I would recommend booking a more superior room.

Our French is not very good and found the staff, particularly Anne very helpful. Although, most people prefer it if you at least attempt French. By the end of our stay we were practically fluent!!!!

The grounds are lovely, with a central courtyard and a nice little pool, which I would imagine gets very busy in the summer. The restaurant is particularly nice, if a little expensive.

The resort itself is nice, but was a bit quiet. I wonder if it gets busier later in the summer. The island itself is gorgeous and biking around the island was a pleasure.

We really enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holidaysrmybag
West Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

L'Ocean is a pleasant hotel in pretty little seaside town, with a very good restaurant which gets very busy.

It's in a nice location, with a lovely courtyard, pleasant lounge, free wi-fi, helpful and friendly staff. Rooms are pleasant, some have bath but no shower, and our bed a little short for me (only just six foot), but that didn't spoil our stay. The main disadvantage was the rubbish collection at 0415 every morning, so we were unfortunately woken early every day. Other than that our stay was nearly perfect. Breakfast is good, and reasonable value at 10 euros with nice home-made preserves and lovely bread. The island gets very crowded at peak times - we were there the week of the Jazz En Ré festival in August - so be prepared to book early to avoid disappointment. 4/5 for the hotel.

The restaurant offers excellent set menus featuring different choices of starters and mains, plus a different entrée and plat du jour each night. On our first night (Saturday), the restaurant was packed and service was a little slow at the start but things soon got back on track and food arrived at sensible intervals. On our second visit, service was excellent, and the food was of the same very high standard, perfectly cooked and simply presented. On the first night we had the 24 euro menu which was excellent, including a very good fish soup. On our second night we had the 32 euro menu which was a little fancier - I had the foie gras poelée, deliciously fatty and served on asparagus to freshen it up; followed by dos de cabillaud served on potato mashed with olive oil which was wonderful; and dessert of croustillant de poire et prunes. Every course was delicious. There is an interesting choice of wines at reasonable prices including a selection from the local co-operative (at 14.50 euros for 75cl). 5/5 for the restaurant.

We have visited regularly and will continue to do so. I would certainly recommend it - just don't expect the Ritz - you're at the seaside.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ricky3D
Mill Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Horrible experience here. My room was moldy and musty. The bathroom window opened on to the street, meaning my eyes were about LEVEL with the street. As I was unpacking my toiletries, people greeted me from the street! The bedroom window opened directly on to a woodpile, which covered most of the "view." I asked for another room but they claimed there was none. I actually left and went to another hotel immediately. The management was unsympathetic and, believe me, I was very courteous in my communications. A disaster!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank nutsabouttravel
france
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2010

We had a wonderful two days on Ile de Re and were delighted to have l'Ocean to stay at. The room was small but very comfortable and the staff were really welcoming. L'Ocean is situated in the heart of Le Bois Plage and is in a great location to explore the island.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2.3 km away
Hotel Le Clos St Martin
Hotel Le Clos St Martin
#1 of 12 in Saint Martin de Re

Been to Hotel Restaurant l'Ocean? Share your experiences!