“Great afternoon ride!”

Painted Pony Horse Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy nature at its best. There is nothing like the freedom of being on horseback and traversing the hills and valleys of west of Granada. The scenery is beautiful with views of Mombacho Volcano and farmlands. Once there, we will assess your skill level and put you on the perfect horse. All of our horses are healthy and happy and love to go on tours. The ride will take you through the countryside, near the Laguna Apoyo, and then we will ride through farmlands and hillsides. We currently offer Long and Short tours any day of the week.
Reviewed 17 February 2017

My husband, daughter, her boyfriend and I had a wonderful afternoon ride with Wilfredo as our guide. Beautiful horses and Wilfredo was very informative of the area, trees and other plants. Would highly recommend.

Darrell B, Owner at Painted Pony Horse Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

We are glad to hear you had a great experience. Come back anytime!

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Took the family out on a horse riding tour. The The tour guide was very helpful in accommodating my youngest child. The trek itself was great with some great views of laguna de apoyo. It was a nice afternoon and money well spent.

Management response:Responded 13 February 2017

Thanks for the kind words Gerry. We are so happy that your family had good day with us. And yes, the views of the Laguna are quite spectacular.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

I highly recommend Painted Pony Tours! Darryl, the owner, picked us up in Granada and brought us to the farm, where we got a quick tour before meeting our mounts, Lucy and Seitano. There were plenty of folks on hand to help get us situated in the saddle. Wilfredo was our guide and he had much to say about the history of the area and the Laguna (in Spanish!). We rode along a dirt road, and had an opportunity to see the beautiful countryside. The horses we well-broke, but not unspirited, and we had plenty of trotting and cantering along the way. The view over the Laguna was amazing! Darryl took some pictures for us as a keepsake. The farm has a nice customer area with a bathroom and hammocks, which we were happy to take advantage of before our ride back to Granada. I highly recommend this as an outing in Granada.

Darrell B, Owner at Painted Pony Horse Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2017

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Please feel free to let us know how we can improve the experience and tell you friends about it.

Regards

Reviewed 31 December 2016

We did the Sunset Ride. The stable is in a part of Granada that is cool on a hot day. The horses were great. The ride leader was great. It a beautiful ride to the edge of the caldera of the extinct Apoyo Volcano.

The couple who owned the stable picked us up and drove us back to our hotel for a small fee.

Darrell B, Owner at Painted Pony Horse Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2017

Thanks for riding with us. Hope you return again.

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

I love riding horses, so booked a Painted Pony sunset riding tour to the top of the Laguna de Apoyo volcano.

Pros:
1) Transport: they will provide transportation (it costs $3 for transport) from Granada to the farm and then back to Granada after.
2) Staff at the Stable. The staff at the stable is courteous and helpful (I did not click with the horse they'd selected for me, and they were more than willing to try put another until I found a horse that I got along with). Wilfredo was my guide during our ride, and was very friendly and informative.
3) The landscape and view. The view from above Laguna de Apoyo is breathtaking - the photos can't do the view justice (I'd seen the view from down on the lake on a previous trip - and it is 100x more spectacular from above!) i liked that the length of the ride was under 2 hours (I love to ride, but I also wanted to explore Granada so didn't want to be riding all day).
4) Bathroom facilities. The stable has a restroom for anyone who may need it after the 20-min drive from Granada, but before getting on a horse!

Possible cons:
1) No English. They may have English speaking guides (at the booking phase, I believe you can indicate if an English-speaking guide is needed; I asked for one in my booking request) but none of the Painted Pony employees I met spoke English (that said, I speak Spanish at about the level of a six-year-old, and I got along and understood the guide fine).
2) if you are looking for the bells and whistles of writing, you will be disappointed. There were no fancy writing clothes, and the helmets were all bicycle helmets. The tour is definitely more about the experience than the trappings.
3) Payment and number of riders. I was traveling alone, but because there was no option to book a solo tour, I booked a tour for two. When I arrived to pay for my tour (cash must be paid in advance of departing for the stable), it was a little strange because I had to find and pay inside a tucked-away real estate office off of the Central Park. Also - they don't generally do tours for solo riders. Because I was alone, they were going to cancel my ride, until I said I would pay the price for two people (beware of trying to go solo!)
4) Real Estate Satellite Office (payment location) First, the office is tough to find (Northwest corner of Parque Central). The representatives in the real estate office were neither friendly nor accommodating (luckily, you only deal with them briefly for payment). Also, the Painted Pony rep in the real estate office only accepts cash as payment, but was unable to make change in dollars or cordobas when I only had large bills (I ended up goimg to the ATM to withdraw the proper amount in smaller bills).

Other noteworthy points:
- You do very little cross country riding. For the vast majority of the ride, you are traveling along dirt roads, with pastures and or forest on either side of you. You get to see some slices of Nicaragua that you likely could never access by car.
- We never even sped up to a trot. The sunset ride to Laguna de Apoyo is a leisurely one.
- The truck provided for transport to the stable is not air conditioned.

1  Thank Alyssa W