All reviews infinity pool main restaurant beautiful property public rooms junior suite tennis courts southern charm charlottesville area third floor fitness center villa crawford fossett's restaurant orient express property spa monticello virginia billiards
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I surprised my husband with a two day stay here for his birthday and definitely scored some points. The hotel itself is grand but still warm and inviting. It was built as a private home and you really do feel like you're retiring to your own bedroom after leaving the dining room each evening. The layout of the home provides multiple living spaces with cozy fireplaces, so finding a private nook is easy. The food is positively divine and the wine list, as well, offering an array of local wines and a selection of wines from around the world. Multiple dining rooms provide several dress code options from relaxed to more formal. The staff was knowledgeable and hospitable with an easy, relaxed demeanor. Convenient access to local wineries and historic sites makes for a fun getaway. We highly recommend Keswick Hall! - G. Twiddy

• Stayed: February 2011
txohva, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2011

Dear "TwiddyandCompany":

Thank you very much for the terrific TripAdvisor posting following your recent stay at Keswick Hall. I'm glad that we could help you with your husband's birthday surprise, and that you both enjoyed our property and offerings so much. We look forward to the prospect of seeing you again for another special occasion -- or no occasion at all. In the meantime, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2011

My husband and I spent two nights here for a weekend getaway and anniversary celebration. We were extremely impressed by our room, the property, the staff, food....everything! Dinner at Fossett's restaurant was excellent - we highly recommend the Chef's Tasting Menu - and we also had a lighter dinner our second night in the bar. Had breakfast one morning in the downtown mall area of Charlottesville, and explored a couple of wineries as well (we especially enjoyed Keswick Winery, just up the road from the hotel). We each had a spa treatment, which was very nice (although not outstanding).

My only suggestion is to be aware of the additional resort fee going into your stay. At 10% of your room's cost, it's not trivial, and it seems like many of the activities covered by the fee are warm-weather related, which didn't really help us in mid-January. Keswick Hall is very up-front about the resort fee, so no complaints there - but it would be nice if they considered a lesser charge during the winter months.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
MatthiasSmith, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2011

Dear "ChrisJ01":

Thank you for your TripAdvisor posting. While I'm glad that you and your husband were perfectly impressed with every other aspect of your stay, I am sorry to learn that our resort fee value fell short during your particular visit. Although our Activities Director does personally try to inform each guest of our full range of activities year round, please accept my apologies that he was not able to connect with you. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to better showcase our offerings for you in the very near future. In the meantime, please know that I greatly appreciate your valuable feedback, which has definitely helped in our efforts toward continual improvements to the Concierge Outreach Program.

Very best regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2011

Let me start by saying, that overall, this is a lovely property with a wonderful restaurant and attentive, professional service. But the rooms would benefit from a major re-boot. We've been frequent, satisfied diners at Keswick, so it was only a matter of time before we decided to spend a night. We booked a "Superior Balcony Room," expecting accommodations that were reasonably consistent with the general sophistication of the hotel's public spaces. Sadly, this wasn't the case. The (first) room we were shown was seemingly decorated to evoke the feeling of a boarding school dorm room. I'm not making this up. The room featured a propeller over a fake fireplace, school blazer crests on the walls along with a few hats, ersatz tarnished trophies, a tacky, chipped desk and wooden chair, and a beige cotton bedspread. The bathroom was better... because it was at least neutral! "It's like we're staying with friends in the kid's bedroom," said my wife. Indeed, it was... but at this price point one might expect to at least be upgraded to an adult's bedroom! We complained and were promptly moved to a room with a somewhat more sophisticated decor, although it, too, looked a little tired. I'm not sure where the inspiration for the first room's decor originated. Perhaps, as my wife speculated, it's a carry over from the hotel's Laura Ashley ownership days. In any event, it's time for a major room refurbishment. My advice? Stay for the food, it's terrific. But before you book a room, beware... ask to investigate the options. Or, be prepared to re-live an evening with Holden at Pencey Prep... at four bills a day...

1  Thank Freddyt64
txohva, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2011

Dear Freddyt64:

Thank you for the posting following your recent stay at Keswick Hall. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the property, service, and cuisine, and appreciate your kind words. I certainly appreciate your comments on the decor of room 39. While many still do like the Laura Ashley motif, we are sensitive to the increasingly modern tastes, and are trying to balance the original vision of the hotel with current customer preference. With each of our 48 rooms featuring individual decor, we are always happy to accommodate our guests' preferences when possible. If we get the chance to welcome you back for another overnight stay, and I sincerely hope we do, we will do our best to ensure that your accommodations are perfectly suitable for you. If your schedule allows, perhaps I can arrange a tour of rooms so that you can see what we have been up to on the room front.

With best regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2011

A fantastic place to visit on a weekend getaway for an anniversary, girls weekend or just go get out of DC. The service is outstanding. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the grounds breathtaking. Perfect location to wineries and Charlottesville.

A co-work of mind recommended Keswick to me as a the perfect weekend getaway. We booked our room about 2 weeks in advance and still got a steal on the price. We upgraded to the balcony room for only $30 and it was totally worth it. After booking the reservation we revived numerous emails confirming our reservation and offering assistance in planing our trip.

Upon arrival we were in awe of how beautiful the property was even in the dead of winter. Check in was a breeze. After settling into our room we were received a bottle of champagne from the hotel and a hand written note wishing us a Happy Anniversary (I had mentioned in our reservation that it was our anniversary but didn't think anything of it. The hotel really knows how to please their guest! )We enjoyed the champagne from our balcony and then headed off to a wine tasting.

The hotel gave us numerous options for place to eat as well as different wineries to visit. We chose Barboursville, about a 20 min drive, per their recommendation. We had a fantastic time at the wine tasting, took a tour of the winery with Bill (ask for Bill!) and bought 3 bottles of wine to take home.

Next we stopped for an early dinner at the Barbaque Exchange a few miles from the Vineyard. The hotels manager had recommended it saying it was the best bbq he ever had and he was right! The pulled pork and hush puppies were to die for!

Back at the hotel we enjoyed drinks at the bar, played around of pool on their beautiful table, explored the grounds and relaxed by the fire. Although it was cold we enjoyed wine and cheese on our balcony for a few hours (we packed our own wine, cheese and crackers for a picnic).

We debated having breakfast in bed but finally decided on going down to Fossett's for breakfast. Fossett's faces out on to the golf course and has fantastic views due to the floor to ceiling windows. I had the Virginia countryside breakfast (eggs, grits, toast) that while simple was Delicious. My boyfriend chose the Duck Confit after the waitress told us it was the best thing on the menu. I had never had duck before but after his raving I tried it and it was absolutely delicious. Do do do try it!

I can't express how much we enjoyed our trip to Keswick. We really felt at home there and have already planed to return in the spring and I can't wait!!

The balcony was worth every penny and I would highly recommend upgrading to one if it is available. Even in freezing weather we loved sitting out there wrapped up in blankets!

Reviewed 17 January 2011

I would definitely recommend staying at Keswick Hall for a long weekend away. You can easily drive to Monticello and Montpelier to visit the American founding fathers' residences and then return to Keswick for excellent food, spa service, and a comfortable place to rest your head.

Upon arrival, they normally have hot cider or hot chocolate in the lobby for you and a large roaring fireplace. The bar offers some fantastic drinks and eats after a day of sightseeing. Definitely try the crab cakes. Also, if you do not feel like getting dressed up to eat at the main dining room, you can return to the bar and enjoy the dining menu there including the fabulous homemade pasta and pork shoulder. Top it off with the toffee pudding for dessert. You will be pleasantly stuffed. For breakfast, be sure to try their lemon meringue pancakes! PERFECTION!

Also, the spa is well worth a visit or two. The hot poultice massage was extremely relaxing and the facials excellent for your skin. They have an indoor and outdoor pool as well as an excellent fitness center and sauna so there is plenty of options to pamper yourself.

The hotel grounds are beautifully maintained and offer golf, great paths for walking or running, and some other activities such as bike riding, fishing and horse back riding.

And inside the hotel...the rooms are elegantly decorated with an old world charm fitting of Dolly Madison. The room we stayed in was spacious with beautiful blue Chinese ceramics decorating the walls and bathroom. An unbelievable comfy bed and free internet! Something every five star hotel should offer.

I highly recommend this place for a great getaway in the Virginian countryside! Enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends