“Perfection!”
Review of Keswick Hall

Keswick Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I was just at Keswick with my mother who is 81, my daughter who is 23 and my sister whose birthday we were celebrating. This was a surprise for her. We have stayed there a couple times before and it is one of our favorite places. This visit we were upgraded to a balcony suite which was fabulous! We happened to have beautiful weather, so we could actually really enjoy the balcony/porch. The hotel and staff were wonderfully helpful and made our stay very memorable. The dinner we had at Fossetts was, once again, one of the best meals we've ever had! All four of us raved about it. The service and small touches by the staff for my sisters birthday were so appreciated and lovely. The pool was open and heated which was an additional treat! All in all it was a fabulous night which made us want to return again and again! Thank you Keswick!

Room Tip: I've stayed in four different rooms and they have all been wonderful.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
MatthiasSmith, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review and for returning to Keswick Hall for your family get-together and surprise birthday celebration. We greatly appreciate you recognizing our friendly staff, who enjoyed making sure it was a "fabulous night"!

There are newer reviews for Keswick Hall

Reviewed 8 January 2012

It was the first time we visited Keswick Hall. My husband and I went with our daughter and her husband and their girls. Our rooms were beautifully decorated and spacious and accomodating. From the first minute we set foot inside the door, the manager , the doormen, the concierge and all the waitstaff helped us settle in and made our stay wonderful. Our daughter and her girls were recovering from bronchitis and everyone did their best to make them feel better. My daughter and her family came with their puggle and he was welcomed every where and it felt decidedly like home but better. We had only one slight glitch, as my husband has reported, with the High Tea but that was minor in the grand scheme of things. I have made reservations to return this spring and summer and am readying myself to make reservations for the fall as well . I sincerely appreciate all the graciousness that was shown us and the joy of being able to travel and find refuge in a most welcoming atmosphere especially as we had a small child and a dog in tow. Thank you Orient-Express for not only Keswick Hall but also for the Inn at Perry Cabin !

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
MatthiasSmith, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear "Pamela R:"

What a wonderful compliment that our staff made your maiden Keswick Hall visit "decidedly like home but better." Thank you. And, thank you again, not only for letting us know that our offerings suited you and your family so perfectly, but also for reiterating -- so very nicely -- that we missed the mark on your High Tea. While I greatly appreciate that, in the grand scheme, you viewed our missteps as minor, we take this grievance quite seriously, and I invite you to contact me directly now, or during one of your planned returns this spring or fall, so that I may have the opportunity to thoroughly reset the stage. In the meantime, very best wishes for a healthy New Year!

Reviewed 6 January 2012

This was our 16th time visiting Keswick. I must say the first 12 were wonderful, and our favorite place to go but the past 4 visits have gradually become more and more frustrating and I am sad to say, the last time was our last time. Good bye Keswick, good bye rude ladies at concierge, good bye manager. good bye not having our room ready even at 4 pm as promised. Good bye room service that is screwed up and awful. Good bye wrong check out bills that need to be corrected more than once. The dinner at Fossetts is wonderful, though and the one redeeming quality. I am so sad but I have to say Good Bye.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank A M
Reviewed 6 January 2012

First, Keswick Hall in Charlottesville deserves many superlatives, many of which have already been mentioned here. Their "High Tea" over New Year's, however, needs substantial improvement. While service at this boutique 48-room hotel is generally outstanding, service and value at their afternoon "High Tea" was quite poor. With only a half dozen or so tables served our family group of six first waited 20 minutes before a waiter came. Prices as expected were high...$20-$28/person depending on whether you wanted "bubbly wine or cider" with your tea and scones. Half of us ordered the regular fare at $20 while half popped $28 for the additional beverage (which never came). Problem was only one compote of sandwiches and scones is provided per table--regardless of the number of people. Yes, maybe they add a few more pieces on to the compote for large groups, but when asked for additions we were provided with a firm "no." No refills thank you. This is way out of the spirit of an Orient Express facility...especially at $28\person. True, we all enjoyed the ambiance of the location, but service was rude and sparse at best. Following a complaint, a manager ("Jeanette") came out, having few people skills, and begrudgingly offered to reduce all six of us to the $22 fare and skip the beverages. What the heck kind of a compromise was that! She did bring out a few more sandwiches at one point. We've been to "high teas" the world over and this was the least enjoyable. True...they may have also been training a new waitress. Complaining to the day manager, Matthew promptly sent up a dish of chocolate covered strawberries as an apology--very nice touch, Matthew! Keswick Hall was a superb escape, but they really need to get their "tea" together. Four stars anyway.

Room Tip: Choose connecting rooms 27 and 29 or room 9.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank prestonrich
MatthiasSmith, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Dear "prestonrich":

Thank you for taking the time to review us. It is both gratifying and humbling to read your statement, "Keswick deserves many superlatives [...]." Gratifying because you awarded us four stars... humbling because there is more to the story... and you're absolutely right. We made a mess of your family's High Tea. It was, as you said, way out of the spirit of an Orient-Express facility. While I'm glad that we did make efforts toward an apology and partial recovery, by reducing the charge and also sending an amenity, you should not have endured such disappointment at Keswick Hall. Please feel free to contact me directly now, or during a future visit, so that I may have the opportunity regain your favor. Thank you again.

Very best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

The Keswick Hall in VA is a unique and beautiful property. Part of my family visits the Keswick every year around Christmastime and my boyfriend and I had the opportunity to join them this year. My 5 y/o nephew dubbed it "the Christmas Hotel" It is the most comfortable place I have ever stayed.......anywhere. It feels like your visiting a dear friend who lives in an old English Treasure House. The accommodations, food, amenities and staff are all wonderful. I can't wait to return.
Faye.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Faye P
MatthiasSmith, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear "Faye P":

It's always terrific when the last line of a review reads, "I can't wait to return." Thank you, not only for taking the time to post your own comments following your recent stay at Keswick Hall, but also for including your nephew's new name for us... "the Christmas hotel." We look forward to welcoming you all again -- at holiday time, or any time! Meanwhile, very best wishes for a happy new year.

Matthias

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
10.4 km away
Clifton Inn
#23 of 35 in Charlottesville
6.3 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
5.4 km away
Comfort Inn Monticello
Comfort Inn Monticello
#17 of 35 in Charlottesville
11.8 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
12.4 km away
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
#2 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!