“Pretty Fun”

Lion & Bull
Ranked #17 of 43 Restaurants in Haymarket
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 13 August 2017

We are locals and have visited many, many times with our kids and without. This place is pretty fun and the last time we visited, there was an awesome band called the ghost peppers...I think...80s and 90s cover band. The staff is always on point and the food is pretty good bar fare.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Met former colleagues here for a drink. Beer list was better than I thought it would be.
Not much ambiance. But nice to have some sort of bar in the neighborhood. I may come back at some point to try the food, or when a local band that I enjoy is scheduled to play here.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Food is pretty good but didn't really like the renovations.
Don't know anything about the entertainment

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We have dined at Lion & Bull several times over the past year. I like the fact that this restaurant/bar supports our neighborhood activities. All of our past visits have been in the lunch hour or 7:00pm time period. Our recent visit was on a Thursday night. We arrived about 8:15pm and sat in the restaurant section. We noticed a large crowd of 20 somethings arriving around 8:30pm and a bouncer suddenly appeared. By 9:00pm, hard rock karoke was underway and the music was blaring. Conversation was impossible and we left as soon as we could. I gave this review four stars for the food and service. I would give the atmosphere a one. Suggestion for all...if loud rock music is not to your liking...go earlier in the evening.

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

L and B was apparently purchased by new owners in 2015 and went from a sort of an OK neighborhood family pub to a noisy sports bar, emphasis on the bar part .... and the acoustics are awful when crowded.

Basically this place needs some warmth, both in look and feel as well as to dampen the noise. With a little imagination this could be done.

On the other hand the food under the new ownership has gone from average to badly prepared food and of basically bad quality. Had a beef sub in there recently and I can't imagine a lower grade of meat. Other dishes have similarly deteriorated under the new ownership.

They have also torn down a wall that at least separated a quiet ( if not all that attractive) separate dining area for mature adults or families, leaving a noisy but still unattractive dining area. Again this could be solved easily with more comfortable tables and chairs and a bit of modest decorating.

L and B now seems now like a cold ordinary shopping center bar and no longer has the warmth of a pseudo Irish family pub, not that it was great before... but it somehow worked.

Wait staff is young, changes constantly and barely trained.

Will this place survive? Probably, but that will be mainly due to a somewhat captive audience in an area bereft of many restaurant alternatives.

I do hope they get their act together. A little bit will go a long way.