“Excellent barbecue!”

South Fork Bbq
Ranked #31 of 295 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Price range: USD 8 - USD 15
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

My wife and I traveled to Harrisonburg on a Friday to visit several of the local microbreweries and after visiting a couple, we decided to get barbecue for dinner. We found South Fork on TripAdvisor and arrived at 7:30pm. We met the owner and had a very nice conversation. He was out of ribs but had everything else.

My wife ordered a combination plate of brisket and pork with greens and I ordered a combination of brisket and turkey with the white Texas slaw. Both meals were delicious! The turkey was tender with a smoked flavor and the brisket was excellent. I liked the Austin sauce and the Memphis sauce on the brisket and the Lexington sauce on the turkey although white Alabama sauce would have been better on the turkey had it been offered.
The slaw was exceptional and with a sour cream base, it was the perfect side for the meat.

My wife's pulled pork may have been the best meat of everything we ate. The pork was moist and flavorful and the Lexington sauce was the perfect topping. The greens were delicious too.

Our meals were exceptional and we definitely plan to return.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

We were passing through Harrisonburg on our way home from DC & stumbled upon this place. When you walk in you’ll be underwhelmed by decor and initial presentation HOWEVER prepare to be overwhelmed by amazing bbq with super great flavor and sides. This guy is legit with his bbq, brisket, & all the sides we tried. Go eat here!!

1  Thank Renae K
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Everything was awesome... from the ribs, pulled pork, and brisket to the mac & queso, baked beans, and corn bread sides. Don't go for the atmosphere...it's a basic storefront in a strip mall across from a Walmart. But the decorations are irrelevant; you will go for what my family thought was the best BBQ we'd ever had.

2  Thank Geekasmom
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Wow, were we ever grateful for the delicious meal we had here. After getting rained out at the State Track Meet and suddenly spending an unexpected extra night in Harrisonburg, we were wet, hungry, and tired. Our hotel was across the street and we didn't want to go far. We have 2 gluten free eaters in the family, so we have to be careful with that. BBQ is usually a pretty easy option. We happened to notice it when we were making a stop at Walmart. Thank goodness! The food was delicious! The owner could be a bit more friendly and attentive. He didn't really interact with any of the customers. But the food was excellent and we will certainly return next year!

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

My family and I stopped in before heading up the mountain in Hinton. We were glad that we did. The place itself is pretty simple, the owner was friendly, and the meats were very good. Out of the 5 of us in my family, I think we got a taste of everything from the menu. Ordering the 2 or 3 meats platters, we had plenty for dinner and some for lunch the next day. We thought the meats were better than the sides, but I would go again if ever in the area. It was a good bargain.