“History with wonderful charm”

Stonewall Jackson Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Harrisonburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 September 2017

We stayed in Jackson Room first two nights, I felt at home with the Inn Keepers and the rooms are what I had hoped. The Inn was beautiful to me and my husband. Dianna and Cliff are wonderful inn keepers. Our breakfast was wonderful and the chef Cliff made breakfast for me to my taste. Dianna was so pleasant and we had a great time. We even stayed another night. Highly recommend this Inn to everyone. We hope to go back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms on second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

When one stays over an extra night and calls the Innkeepers by name it makes our day here as well as yours. Making a "Breakfast to Remember" that please every guest every morning is a challenge, but as others have pointed out, we can do it most of the time :-) We hope to see you back here again soon and appreciate your good will and recommendation to those who are reading our reviews.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The building is quite central, you can easily walk to the downtown area. You get a (very) small glass of sherry or port upon arrival. The rooms are clean, and furnished in the old style that many historic B&B 's offer, here in the United States. Breakfast was special, for our taste a bit too special, but generally ok. A bit pompous, maybe. We had a differend on their rate, as what we were charged was more than what displayed in the room. The intervention of the owner solved the problem, yet I dont remember receiving an apology.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Yes, we do offer to serve you a small glass of Premium Port or Sherry at check in as a way of giving you a warm and special welcome. It is delicious and is served in a small Aperitif glass that is expressly for such special tasting wines, like Port and Sherry. Our Port and Sherry wines are at about the $60 @ bottle level.
All wines have specially designed glasses to increase the pleasure of the wine. The wines we are talking about are heavy wines that are made for their lingering taste, and so are strong in flavor and made for "sipping"; thus the easily handled small decorative is used. The are about 2-3 times the volume of the special Liqueur glass that is used to serve those special tasting alcoholic beverages.
About the special Premium Weekend rates that were at odds with our average regular rates that were in our guest book. Thank you for pointing that out to me. (I have corrected this!) Our rates are variable and do changed depending on the demand pressure, Notice of this is published on our website at the bottom of every page! However, our website, and your reservation request and confirmation will expressly inform you of the basic rate for your room. The general rule is valid: Early booking is always better :-)

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Let me start by letting everyone know that the owner no longer runs this inn. He has hired staff to cook and run it and most of the glowing reviews were from when he was present. There were good and bad points but all in all not worth the price. First, the cleanliness. It was very clean, so that gets 5 stars. Our beds were remade and room put in order each day when we returned. Location gets 5 stars as well, it is within walking distance to all the best restaurants downtown. It is a charming and beautiful old home. Beds were a bit old and soft for our taste, but that is personal preference. Check in was our first issue. The wife was busy with other guests so we got a curt and irritable greeting from the husband who was obviously not happy about having to do so. He never asked about any dietary restrictions and I had to let him know I didn't eat eggs. He said "not even quiche because I have 2 ready". Clearly feeling inconvenienced. Obviously not quiche if I don't eat eggs. So breakfast the first day was pancakes with some kind of thick syrupy sweet caramel sauce and thick brown banana slices cooked in them. I was never asked if I wanted this sauce on my pancakes or told what I was getting. Then after I had tasted it I was told " there is booze in that." I don't drink so this did not make me happy either. The bacon was fine, so I ate that. Coffee was supposedly served at 7. But at 7:30 there was no creamer out and the sugar bowl was frankly disgusting. The sugar had gotten wet at some point and no one had bothered to check or clean it and there was clumpy discolored sugar in it. Breakfast the second day was even worse. I got 2 heels of bread for French toast with canned peaches dumped on it. I don't even eat canned fruit at home, I certainly don't want it when I am paying almost 200 a night for a "gourmet" breakfast. My husband's sausage was undercooked and i watched while the cook put biscuits out of a can in the oven! Where is the delightful French toast casserole, the stonewall Jackson hash and all the other goodies that the original proprietor used to serve? I consider myself a bed and breakfast connesieur, having stayed in them all over the world. The food here was just substandard and not home cooked. It was a shame. I was so disappointed. They are advertising things that just aren't cooked anymore because that cook is gone. For a splurge I would definitely not choose this b&b, but try another in the area. One last thing. The wife was very nice but knew nothing about the area having arrived themselves only a month ago.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Oh my Goodness! I am alive and well and reside right here at the Inn. So sorry I was out while you were here, or we certainly would have taken care of your disappointments. Had I known about all these things early on, I certainly would have made sure you left here as happy campers!!
It is true that Cliff and Diana have arrived recently and I am still mentoring their Innkeeping skills. I have had a long chat with the Innkeeper who did the cooking for you who was evidently did not handle himself well with you. After talking with him, I am sure he did not grasp your hi level of expectations and the purpose of your stay. It is always nice to have someone like you who has stayed an many luxury B&B's all over the world and is as you say "a professional connoisseur" that makes refined judgments like this about the Inn and its staff. That is helpful to me as the owner as the responsible person for the Inn and I thank you for your time and expertise.
I would like you to return and experience a reprise of your stay (as my guest) at your convenience and show you that indeed, we can do those breakfasts just the way you expect them. I will either make them myself which I have done for years, or supervise that kitchen like Wolfgang Puck:-)

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I returned to the Stonewall Jackson Inn with my daughter and granddaughter, and the experience was just as delightful as it was last year. The rooms are perfect--comfortable and atmospheric; the ambience is wonderful, and the food is exquisite. A warmer welcome cannot be found anywhere. Thanks to Diana and all the staff for making our weekend together so memorable.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us again, again, and again and your kind words about the ambiance here. Our "Stonewall Jackson Experience" is all about a welcoming and comfortable stay with a "Breakfast to Remember" thrown in as the coup de gra:-)
We have a large family of folks that are members of our Stonewall Brigade that will give you an automatic free stay to the loyal repeat family members like you. If you enjoy your stay and plan to return at some future date, you should join as it gives you ViP status for the Premium Lodging Weekends for the James Madison Universities Special Events such as Homecoming, Graduation, Sporting and other such heavily attended events. We are a preferred lodging site for JMU Parents and Alumni as I am Professor Emeritus Faculty there as well as.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

My husband arranged for a friend to meet me at the Bed and Breakfast for a birthday girls getaway. The staff is kind and welcoming, and accommodating to my early check-in. There were cookies and an offer of wine.

We stayed in the Belle Boyd Room. The beds were super comfortable, and the room nice and dark even into the morning time. However, we were right next to the kitchen and breakfast prep begins early! I had hoped to sleep in as I have three little ones who routinely wake me early, but the noise from the kitchen woke me early both days. A few felt pads on those cabinets, and it should be good to go!

The breakfasts were delicious, the coffee nice and strong. The atmosphere is WONDERFUL. We really enjoyed dining outside right next to the morning glories. There were eve little treats left in our room during the afternoon. Really, the Stone Wall Jackson Inn is everything a bed and breakfast should be.

Room Tip: Belle Boyd is a little noisy in the morning, but super comfortable otherwise.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for the good suggestion about the felt pads on the kitchen cabinet doors, It is done! In addition I had a nice and helpful conversation with the Innkeepers about their having more sensitivity to the fact of that room being vulnerable to their noise. However, you can't beat that room for spaciousness with two double beds and convenience at a fabulously low price (which is that low because of its location).
I am happy to hear that you like the "atmosphere" as that is the most important and most difficult thing to for a B&B to create. It is the essential core of "The Stonewall Jackson Experience". It tells me that your memory includes an emotional feeling of comfort and joy of staying with us and with your loved ones. Thus my bet is, you will always remember your time with them (and us) and I will see you again. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this very helpful review!