Stonewall Jackson Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Harrisonburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 August 2017

My husband arranged for a friend to meet me at the Bed and Breakfast for a birthday girls getaway. The staff is kind and welcoming, and accommodating to my early check-in. There were cookies and an offer of wine.

We stayed in the Belle Boyd Room. The beds were super comfortable, and the room nice and dark even into the morning time. However, we were right next to the kitchen and breakfast prep begins early! I had hoped to sleep in as I have three little ones who routinely wake me early, but the noise from the kitchen woke me early both days. A few felt pads on those cabinets, and it should be good to go!

The breakfasts were delicious, the coffee nice and strong. The atmosphere is WONDERFUL. We really enjoyed dining outside right next to the morning glories. There were eve little treats left in our room during the afternoon. Really, the Stone Wall Jackson Inn is everything a bed and breakfast should be.

Room Tip: Belle Boyd is a little noisy in the morning, but super comfortable otherwise.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you for the good suggestion about the felt pads on the kitchen cabinet doors, It is done! In addition I had a nice and helpful conversation with the Innkeepers about their having more sensitivity to the fact of that room being vulnerable to their noise. However, you can't beat that room for spaciousness with two double beds and convenience at a fabulously low price (which is that low because of its location).
I am happy to hear that you like the "atmosphere" as that is the most important and most difficult thing to for a B&B to create. It is the essential core of "The Stonewall Jackson Experience". It tells me that your memory includes an emotional feeling of comfort and joy of staying with us and with your loved ones. Thus my bet is, you will always remember your time with them (and us) and I will see you again. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this very helpful review!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at the B & B for three nights. Our main objective was to get closer to the solar eclipse, since we live in New York. We also wanted to be close to Shenandoah National Park for some hiking. The town of Harrisonburg has is within walking distance of the B & B and has many restaurants/breweries/bars to choose from.We were there during college move-in week at JMU, so there were lots of people around. The inn was clean, comfortable and the breakfast was spectacular. They have a very cute little dining area outside. The people who run it are friendly and accommodating. On the last day, we left before breakfast and they made us blueberry muffins to go! Very cute. The only negative I would say is the rooms could use a little updating and the shower was so small, you could barely turn around in it.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us for the once in a life time adventure. Did you know that we were just selected to be one of the nations top five destinations for adventure and beauty? There exists a cornucopia of adventures for you to choose from if you have a multiple night getaway here. We know all about them here, fly fishing, rock climbing, biking, hiking, whitewater rafting & kyacking, trail rides, and many more such activities are readily available either on your own or with an adventure operator. Check in our Facebook Page as I post information about all these things including special discounts for our rooms. You might search there for my picture of the the brilliant beauty of our own Milky Way from the famous Appalachian Trail that threads the Continental Divide through the Shenandoah National Park. It is 15 miles across the Valley floor to this spot!
About the shower: Oh how I wish when they built our Inn in 1880, they could have foretold the need we have for showers and closets, let alone running water and electricity LOL. We had to creatively find places for all the modern things that we take for granted but we did! There is a private bath in every room, but no walk in showers! That and the period decor we hope you will accept as being a part of "historical charm" of the Inn :-)

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Hi to Wayne, Diane, Cliff and Marjorie (sorry James, did not get to meet you) - What can I say that has not been said already? Stayed in the Bella Boyd room and the William Sherman Rooms with my traveling gal pal. Both of these rooms had two beds and an in suite shower. Love the story of Isabella Boyd. Such a feisty young woman. Everyone is very knowledgeable about the area and that is saying a lot since 3 of the 4 people we met are relatively new to the Inn.

Diane, thank you for checking us in the first night and being the first person to greet us. First impressions make all the difference.

Marjorie, thank you for giving us the opportunity to "peek" into the rooms and checking us in the second night.

Cliff, your breakfast was tremendous of eggs benedict. Never had them before and now any time I have them again, they will be compared to yours and you set the bar pretty high.

Wayne, congrats on hiring such good people to be your second set of hands and for having such a wonderful Inn. Also thank you for giving those books a second chance (some books a first chance) to be read.

To anyone who stays here - be forewarned that you are in for a awesome experience.

Keep up the great work.

Room Tip: Bella Boyd room can - hear people going in for breakfast but what better way to be woken up then the...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
DrWayne32, Manager at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you so much for bringing all those Civil War Historical books for our future guests. We have put them in every room and I especially allocated and matched them to the rooms according to the title/content.
An even bigger thank you for your warm and enthusiastic encouragement to the new Innkeepers as they are just settling into the community and their new home here at the Inn with me. We certainly mentored them on how to deliver a welcomed hug:-)
As you might garner, they have big boots to fill and are putting forth their best for me and the Inn. Actually, I run a "teaching B&B" as I am constantly hiring new folks with limited experience who want to learn how to run and Inn such as ours. (If interested, you can click the Employment Opportunity button on our Website for details).
With this model, keeping the right kind of people here as Innkeepers is a challenge for most want to come to work here to learn how to do the "Stonewall Jackson Experience". As you might imagine, some have the right stuff and some just aren't too well suited in personality or skills to provide guests with the kind of experience that achieves our mission "A Night's Delight & A Breakfast to Remember"! When they are successful all move on to own and operate their own B&B's as several have done. I guess having had had a successful career as a teacher/professor, I just have teaching and mentoring in my DNA :-)

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Our flight was delayed into Washington so we arrived very late. The inn keepers left us a letter on the front porch apologizing for not meeting us in person. The letter had all the instructions we needed and we flopped into bed. The room was well equipped: good blinds to keep out the light, good wifi and a strong, hot shower.
The breakfast was delicious: fresh fruit, blueberry muffin and eggs benedict. We sat outside on the porch in a pretty setting. I'd definitely recommend the Stonewall Jackson Inn. It's convenient for the highway and the town.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Thank you for mentioning how we accommodate late check in, our "Breakfast to Remember" and convenience as a few of the things that earn us TripAdvisor's top rating for the Shenandoah Valley. While late check in like this can be arranged, location cannot and that is essential for convenience. Our location is ideal for travelers, romantic getaways, biking and hiking enthusiasts as it is readily found, accessible with off street parking , and one can easily walk to all districts of the city. Being in a prime location usually is reflected in higher costs, but our Inn rates are competitive with other lodging and a B&B really is a "Better Way to Stay"! Check it out :-)

Reviewed 24 August 2017

This home/Inn is a joy for a lover of stylish wood architecture. Had a room with a private entrance. Cheerful staff, wonderful breakfast, and nature beauty surrounds the grounds.
This was a good night for me heading south.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2017

Thank you , see you on your way back through the Shenandoah. The Inn's architecture is historical and very unique as Ray comments. Two architects of the Inn were from Boston (Richardson and Emerson) who creatively adapted the traditional Queen Anne architecture to a native limestone stone-and-shingled New England cottage style with a French Portico Chere and Southern Veranda The Mansion stands on two acres, overlooking the Historic Downtown Historic, Art, and Culinary District, and is landscaped with mature walnut and spruce trees, holly shrubs, rose bushes, & flowerbeds. The old horse and carriage barn completes the picturesque sight right in the middle of the city. The complete history and pictures can be found on our website by clicking the "About" button on our Navigation Bar from our home page. .