“About the same as the full service Marriott down the road.”

Courtyard Fairfax Fair Oaks
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Philadelphia, PA
“About the same as the full service Marriott down the road.”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We pulled up to the hotel, which is conveniently located off Route 66, around 10pm. But we were confused - I thought the GPS brought us to the wrong Courtyard.

I swore I had booked us at a hotel we stayed at in September. I went in to ask and found out we were in the right place!

Here, I booked us at the Courtyard Marriott, not the full service Marriott on the same road! (Which is where we stayed in September. See what happens when you get old!)

It ended up being a pleasant stay. The only difference was the full service Marriott had a hotel bar and late night kitchen. The Courtyard did not, but had a nicely stocked "shop" with beers, wines and snacks for sale.

The location just off 66 is great and there appeared to be plenty of nearby restaurants and shops.

Room was perfectly fine. Clean. Pool hours are limited, 10-10.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank smep013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The lobby was very nice and comfy-looking. Rooms are designed very different from other Courtyards I've been to but in a good way. The bed faces the window with a high backing that separates the bed from the bathroom/anything behind it. Room was a tad small and we were put in a corner room by the pool, so there was some noise every time kids went to/from the pool.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank csokuya
King George, VA
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My initial impression of this hotel was very favorable. It is clean, well-maintained, and even smells fresh. The king size bed was made with good quality bedding...a triple-sheeted duvet style comforter, and six pillows. Our room on the fifth floor overlooked the interior courtyard. The noise from the courtyard kept me awake until after midnight, and chairs being moved around in the courtyard woke me just before 6:00 AM (on a Saturday morning). My husband and I did not sleep comfortably during the few quiet hours in between. The temperature in the room did not seem constant. We were constantly kicking off the comforter, only to shiver a few minutes later and have to pull it back up. My husband has spent the remainder of the weekend with heat on his neck from pain due to sleeping on the uncomfortable pillows. The pillows were either tiny mushy pillows that went flat immediately, or thick, square, super-firm European pillows. The hotel staff were very friendly, the room looked great, but we just didn't get a decent night of sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here for two nights as we visited DC. The hotel was quiet and clean. It located near a number of restaurants, and shopping centers. it was a bit far from a metro, so that was a problem for us, but thankfully we had a rental.

• Stayed October 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We just returned from a trip to Fairfax, Va to tour George Mason University with my 17 year old son. We chose the Courtyard Marriott for its proximity to campus. We have never stayed at a Courtyard before. Boy, were we all impressed! The entire hotel seemed brand new. The lobby area is really cool and practical. There is a mini market where you can purchase snacks, including beer, wine, frozen food (and a microwave to cook them). There is a bistro area with food and drinks to purchase. They have this awesome large screen touch screen interactive computer with weather, nearby restaurants, news, etc. They have a free coffee bar with WSJ, as well as computer area. The signature feature is the courtyard. It was too cool to take advantage of, but they have nice patio furniture as well as a fire pit to sit around. There was an indoor pool and probably a fitness area, but we did not check that out. Personnel were extremely friendly and accomodating.

I made my reservation with a AAA discount for $114. When I checked in, I was asked if I wanted to sign up for Marriott Rewards program. I said, "sure". Once check in was completed, I was told, "I got the rate down the $71"! Can't beat that!

We were able to walk across the street for dinner at Ruby Tuesday. It is on a very busy street, but if you cross at the corner cross-walk, it is OK. Nice not to have to move the car. We ate breakfast at the bistro. Good food. I had delicious oatmeal. My son had an egg sandwich and my husband had french toast. We were all satisfied with our choices. We also bought beer and wine from the mini mart the evening prior. I must say, the prices are a bit high overall, but no worse than had we gone to a restauant I think.

The room was large and newly decorated with large flat screen TV. The toilet/shower area was large and separate from the sink. The closet had really nice french door type doors. All in all, very well done and classy. We especially liked the sliding doors to the balcony in our room. So nice to be able to get fresh air in a hotel room!

Just around the corner from the hotel was the NRA with the National Firearms Museum. My husband and son went to heaven when we visited that!

Can't say anything bad about this hotel, except that we couldn't stay longer! We will definitely stay at a Courtyard Marriott again, and this one in particular should we return to Fairfax.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside courtyard room (with balcony).
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family