“We expected more” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Doswell
Boston, Massachusetts
“We expected more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This being the opening of the summer season we were very excited to stay at this Best Western to enjoy our holiday weekend. Since we didnt have reservations, on the way to Virginia we found a coupon in a booklet from a rest stop for a $49.99 one night stay. We arrived at the hotel approx. 8:30pm on Thursday May 24th. Check in took forever because one girl was working the check in counter and the other kept running off. It was only us and another couple checking in but the check in person seemed new and not sure what she was doing and the other girl kept pushing more work off to her everytime she came in from "the back"...I swear their is a cot back there or something because about 2 hours later we went down to book another night and the disappearing girl was still disappearing!

This hotel has a restaurant attatched. It is a Denny's and IT WAS BELOW AVERAGE but the bartender was GREAT!..(see review)

The rooms were clean and smelled ok...we have had better, but to tell you the truth we have never stayed at a Best Western before so we can only compare them to other chains. We were a little concerned because the police were at the hotel all night waiting outside a room on the Kings Dominion side of the hotel, and then again the next morning...knocking on doors and having the maides open some doors for them...We dont know what that was about.

The pool area is clean and they offer putt putt golf (3 holes) and ping pong. Our suggestion to Best Western is to have an ADULT swim at a certain time so adults can swim without the kids taking over the pool which happened both nights we were there.

This hotel also has a free shuttle to Kings Dominion. This is NOT a part of Best Western. Best Western contracts Kings Dominion for this service so the drivers are Kings Dominion employees and they are VERY pleasant. The shuttles are air conditioned AND it saved us $12.00 for parking. The shuttle gives you door to door service also You must get tickets to board from the front desk of the hotel and the front desk does not inform you of this.

Hopefully magement to train employees properly from the begining and things would move much smoother for the guests who are already stressed from traveling.

Room Tip: Find a coupon booklet for this hotel at a rest stop along I95..It is Hotels.com
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank curlyQ823

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Marysville, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed here on our trip to Kings Dominion. The lady at the front desk was nice. It was cheap(99$). The beds were comfy, although I heard people screaming at night. The room was clean, except for a dead cockroach. It is very close to Kings Dominion. The rooms had 2 outlets which our phone chargers didn't fit into. The telephone was off its hinges. There was no fitness center or room service.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here at least 7 times since 1991. The last time I stayed was the worst ever, I had 2 rooms for 2 days and left after the first day, I didn't even ask to be comped or refunded, the staff was rude the rooms were dirty the toilet didn't work in our room so I had to use the one in my kids room, but the worst was people yelling and cursing outside room I called the desk up till 3am nobody would even attempt to correct the situation my kids didn't need to hear the obsinities that were being shouted from one end of the hotel to th pool area. It is a shame because I really used to love this place and to see what it has become is discusting, the best thing about the hotel is the location, I'm sorry but I will never stay there again, when in VA I recomend busch gardens area even kings dominion park was a BIG let down, busch gardens is a lot cleaner and u get treated as a guest not a begger, I repeat I'm am very sorry to say this because my love for this place, I hope somebody can turn it around for them starting with management first.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank bigbear0054
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Like the convenient location to Kings Dominion. Love the Denny's located on the premises. Rooms were basic, could use some updating. Staff was helpful. I had won a very large stuffed animal and couldn't fit it in the car. They were able to hold it for me for a couple days while I made arrangements to transport the little guy. Overall, I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit Kings Dominion.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

This hotel is in a great location next to Kings Dominion. The staff was very friendly, and the room clean and comfortable. Even though we checked out the next morning to go the the park, they give you a pass so you can leave your car in the lot and avoid the 20 dollar fee for parking at King's Dominion. HOWEVER, and I don't know if it's all AC units, or just ours, but it was so loud that everytime it came on, we woke up. It sounded like a helicoptor was landing. Yes, I had earplugs in, as well. The park was great, tho!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doswell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
0.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)
Days Inn Doswell at Kings Dominion
9.7 km away
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland

Been to Centerstone Inn? Share your experiences!