“The Bone In Ribeye....perfectly cooked”

Piedmont - A Virginia Steakhouse
Ranked #2 of 99 Restaurants in Culpeper
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 19 December 2014

There are steak houses...and then there are real steak houses. The difference is in the quality of the meat and whether or not the cook knows how much is too much. Most cooks either over cook or under cook--not understanding the true fusion that occurs between the tender marbled texture of the Ribeye and the flavor enhancing use of heat and spice. This restaurant knows the difference. While I did not ask, I believe the meat was dry cured...so much better than the standard commercial curing most meat suffers before making it onto the table. But the meat was handled just as it should be and arrived just in time to make the most of our growing appetites. Our server was a delight...she obviously knew her menu and worked to make sure our special orders were handled appropriately. My steak was tender and seasoned to perfection. The owner came by to see if all was to our liking. The decor was appropriately masculine for a steak house of the first quality. No fru-fru here...brick, iron and wood were the main decorating materials...as they should be. Freshly made deserts topped off the evening. I will be back as I have now done so for several years.

1  Thank garyfromvirginia

Reviewed 7 December 2014 via mobile

I overheard my coworkers talking about this place and decided to try it out. I live about 40 minutes away so I made reservations for my wife and I on "date night" and the owner Steve handled the online reservation. The meal was awesome, service was out of this world, and Steve even gave us a round of drinks!

Reviewed 3 December 2014

Stopped in for lunch on a recent weekend. Attracted by specials posed on sandwich board on Davis Street ally entrance - very clever. Very interesting location in warehouse of old hardware store with lots of local history. Open and bright seating area with cozy fireplace. Service was excellent beginning to end. Our group ordered 3 sandwiches with fries and soup of the day with a side. Portions were fair. Everything tasted great! Sandwich crusty bread was perfect. Highly recommend the sweet potato fries. Only drawback was the final cost - lunch for 4 over $70 (all in) with only water to drink.

1  Thank Susan J
Reviewed 30 November 2014

If you are ever near Culpeper, Virginia and looking for a special place to eat, I highly recommend The Piedmont, A Virginia Steakhouse. My husband and I went there tonight for our anniversary, and it was probably one of my most favorite meals ever! If you like a wonderful meal in a place that has exposed bricks, wood beams, hardwood floors, and even an old pulley system, then you HAVE to visit this place. It's not inexpensive, but the food was fantastic! Our wonderful waitress started us out with some rolls to dip in Tuscan olive oil. They were delicious, and I could have easily eaten more. My husband had clam chowder and I had a Piedmont salad. Both of us thought these were exceptional. We then had crab cakes and pan-seared scallops, and it was delicious! We shared a dessert, a fresh banana cream pie type of concoction, and it was wonderful, also. If I could offer any constructive criticism it's that we would have enjoyed a couple more rolls at the beginning of the meal. We loved this place and can't wait to go back for our next special occasion. Check this place out if you have a special occasion to celebrate - you won't be sorry!

Reviewed 23 November 2014

We absolutely loved Piedmont tonight! It was an excellent birthday dinner; the best "fancy" meal we've had in ages (on-par with Capitol Steak House in DC).

The food: Clam chowder was perfectly seasoned and just the right consistency if a little short on actual clams. Filet mignon could be cut with a fork; it was perfect. Seared scallops were amazing, served with the best risotto I've ever had. Mixed vegetables were just OK but substitute the sautéed spinach which tasted fresh. Homemade coconut crime pie was to die for. Bavarian chocolate cake was marginal, a bit dry. Chocolate raspberry martini was really good; chocolate would be better on the rim than in the bottom of the glass as my humble opinion.

The ambiance: gorgeous building, perfect inside. We sat right by the fireplace, very romantic. We loved the cute little holiday floral vases on the table (lots of glitter eeee!) but thought real tea lights should replace the LED ones.

Service: excellent while remaining casual. We had one server who was great. At some restaurants you will get several servers but the service here was comparatively casual. The owner introduced himself and we had a pleasant chat. We are familiar with the manager, Mark, who checked on us; he is extremely professional and personable.

Price: on-par with other upscale restaurants in town but legitimately the best meal we've had in recent years in Culpeper. The cocktails are pricier here than anywhere else. Wine average price. Beer average to below-average price.

We would highly recommend Piedmont, probably more so than any other restaurant in Culpeper based on current dining experiences with the other "big four" (Fotis, Thyme, Copper Fish, and Lucio".

1  Thank heatherweh