See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 August 2018

I arrived to find that the room for which I had pre-paid and could not cancel or receive a refund had been given to another guest who extended their stay. Apparently the pre-paid contract I made with this motel only applied to me. I found all this out after video conferencing with the hotel desk clerk who was at the sister hotel up the street. (From the many negative reviews I read about the M Star here on TripAdvisor after this incidence, this could have been a blessing. ALWAYS check TripAdivsor!)

Upon arriving at the sister hotel, and having the desk clerk & manager clearly acknowledge that I had a reservation, had pre-paid and they had messed up, I had to wait about 30 minutes for them to figure out their procedure. This sister hotel was their 'best' property and was clearly not booked. Why not just select a room, make me a key, apologize and be done?!?!? Instead I waited, waited, waited and then they gave me a room at their third hotel.

This third hotel was across the interstate (far from the 'free breakfast') and apparently was unmanned. It quite frankly looked abandoned from the outside, but the rooms were nice (and the wifi was fantastic). After some research, I'm not even sure you can book directly at this third hotel. The outside entrance doors did not lock at night. This was a concern given the seedy location and the lack of onsite personnel.

In the end, it all worked out, but was WAY TOO MUCH HASSLE and an insult to my service nature. My advice to the M Star hotels - next time you screw up, comp a room at the nicer hotel immediately and work out your internal issues afterwards. This solution would have been an upgrade (why not when the cancellation was their fault), zero hassle plus access to breakfast. It seemed the least they could do.

Finally, regarding the free breakfast, it was indeed available at another location, but I think the implication from the website and other advertising that it was onsite was deceptive. How hard can it be to modify your offering from 'free breakfast' to 'free breakfast at a close, nearby location' (or some such thing).

I do NOT recommend these hotels and would NOT book with them again.

Management - please do not respond. The string of negative reviews speak for themselves.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank VitaminMoose
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

If I could give this a zero, I would. This was by far the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in, and I've stayed in some not so nice hotels. The room smelled terrible, it was beyond dirty, and after showering, I somehow felt dirtier. The bathroom has a moldy ceiling, other peoples hair in the tub, the toilet is gross, and it looks like someone was shot In there and they didnt quite get it all off the walls. I would not have stayed here had they would have refunded my money. They do not have anyone working here. Just a monitor in the lobby. I'm not sure how this place is passing any kind of inspections. I've never in my life been grossed out by a hotel room. I'm no germaphobe, or high maintenance. This was just gross. Do NOT stay here. Even as a last resort. Sleep in the car if necessary.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Molly J
Reviewed 6 July 2018

First off, I had no reservations but my mother had stayed here in the past and enjoyed her stay so we decided on staying here. After checking in around 3 pm with the Skype set-up, no reservation-no problem, hotel was not busy at all on a Saturday afternoon, I was told that my granddaughter could go up the hill to the other hotel and swim if she wanted to (she had no swimsuit or she would have) we entered the room. Contrary to other reviews, our room was clean with crisp white sheets (I checked). The air-conditioning was working overtime, it cooled the room down fast and kept cooling all night (five stars for air conditioning and clean sheets). We never found an ice-machine after walking around the hotel two times no big deal, we got burgers from a fast food place for dinner (too tired to go out for a sit down dinner) and just asked for extra large drinks with lots of ice for the drinks we brought with us. The "vanity" in the area between the room and bath was redone in plywood (no vanity) just plywood nailed up, didn't look very great, but served its purpose to support the sink. The mattresses were not the most comfortable, a bit lumpy but we managed to get some sleep even though the walls were extremely thin and a baby was screaming off and on next door most of the night (no fault of hotel). We got up the next morning, I went to the "Skype lobby" and asked how to return the room key and about the free full breakfast. I was told to go up the hill to the other hotel (just a short hop and skip from hotel) and was met by a personable young woman who I had been speaking to on Skype in hotel lobby. We had a really great cooked breakfast of just about everything you could ask for, really pleased with the free breakfast for three of us (if you deduct the price of a fully cooked breakfast buffet for three plus tip from cost of room, I believe this puts the room rate about in the 50 dollar range). The room was not beautiful, the hotel was not up-to-date nor upscale by any means, but it served its purpose, just a cool and clean place to rest. I will return and stay here again in the future, I may be the "odd man out" in these reviews or maybe I was just lucky in getting a clean and icy-cool (a must for me) room with a great hot, full breakfast buffet for three included for around $90. Definitely not the Ritz but also not Skid Row.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

I would give zero stars if it were an option. We were driving back from our vacation and decided to book a room here. We chose Covington just from location on google maps so that we would only need to drive 3 more hours home the next day. So in the car at 10 am I booked a double bed room through hotels.com. The price with tax included was $90.  Upon arrival the motel was so unbelievably run down that I thought they were no longer in business. The pictures and reviews that are on this website are not accurate. My husband walked into the lobby and talked through a tv monitor to check in . We learned that there was not actually any employee at this location t any time. Not a desk or even a window with a human behind it. The whole thing was so creepy. We went to our room and upon opening the door was hit with the foulest stench and 50+ years of stale smoke. Let me say that we were traveling with a child. We immediately got headaches. My husband said we can not stay here. We took pictures of the door jamb. There was a 2 inch gap to outside with the door completely closed.The jamb itself was broken and the locks were on screws hanging out of the jamb. The outside of the door was dented with kick marks. As all the doors were.If we had stayed we would not have gotten any rest because the worry of someone kicking in the door, as well as sinus issues. Sam and Dean Winchester have stayed in better places.The checkout policy on top of the tv said no refunds 15 minutes after check in. I told my husband to load my daughter up and I then went into the so called lobby to speak to the man in the tv screen. He said that I would need to talk to his boss and that she would be with me in a few minutes. The lobby had the same retched smell. The lady eventually came on the screen and I asked about a refund. She tried every excuse in the book to not refund us. First it was no because we had been there longer than 15 minutes. I replied we were in the room no longer than two and have been waiting for you for about 15. Then it was, we have a 24 hour cancellation policy after confirmation. I told her that we just made the confirmation a couple of hours ago while driving. Then, oh you booked through Expedia so you need to call them. I said we booked through Hotels.com. She replied no it was Expedia. I went outside to call hotels.com because the cell phone coverage was terrible. The outside was so loud from traffic. It was a very sketchy area.The agent I spoke to asked me if I checked with the hotel policy and I replied yes. I held while he called to make a deal with the hotel. When he came back on the line he told me that the hotel would not work with me because I got a discounted rate.$20 would have been too much to stay here. I told him we had a child and could not stay here and that it wasn’t safe. There is not even an employee here. He told me hotels. Com could give me a $25 voucher to stay somewhere else in the area. That is not going to get us a room. We would have taken the voucher if it was for the whole amount and drove to the next exit to stay somewhere. I replied that I would not be using hotels.com again. I have used Priceline before to get discounted rates and needed to cancel reservations and they worked with respectable hotels to refund me my money. We did not stay. We were told to leave the key in the lobby where any old joe could have walked in and took it.We made the very tiresome drive home through the night. Our daughter was even ecstatic that we did so. That is saying something because children are usually excited to stay in hotels or at least get out for a while after being in a cramped car all dayThese people are taking advantage of others. $90 is a lot of money for us. I am not just another complainer. I try to make the best of every situation. We are from West Virginia (cue WV jokes)and I have stayed in a lot of unsavory places in my life and never once made a complaint. This is a disgusting, filthy, unsafe place. I’m not sure who does inspections here but I will be contacting the better business bureau for this area. I have since went on trip advisor and read the real reviews. They refuse to refund anyone. Im pretty sure this hotel is only used by people partaking in illegal activities.Do not stop in Covington these unethicalpeople own 3 hotels there.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This motel is filthy! When we drove up to our room there was a commode sitting on the sidewalk. There were ants crawling outside our room.The next morning we turned on water to bathe and termites flew out of the drain! Upon further looking, there were termites on the shower curtain and on the bed linens
The curtain was.halfway off of the curtain rod. There was no one on the property
A young lady came on the computer screen in the office to check us out. She was at the motel next door. Unable to get a receipt when we left. I will never stay here again. Very poor motel!!!!Nasty!

Date of stay: June 2018