“Golf cart mayhem and swamps”

Chincoteague Island KOA
Reviewed 29 July 2017

Nice KOA with lots for everyone to do. Good enough location to see the ponies (you need to take a shuttle at OMG am), but was tidy and well painted… BUT, the first site we were assigned ,110, the next one over was plugged in (109). They stated their power didn’t work, and hadn’t for days. They were surprised they gave 110 to someone, since the KOA told them to plug in to that (4 spots share one “post” with the elect hook ups). So, after being snotty a bit, I got a new site! 115. Same issue. Finally, was moved to 118. Great. After that, it went well. Last day we were there, it rained really really hard. I mean, deluge. The place, being sandy mostly, did take the rain well. BUT, whilst walking my dog, I saw that site 110 (the site I was first assigned) was under 3-6” of water! I mean THE WHOLE SITE. It was a lake. Had I been there, I would have been a very very unhappy camper. Trying to disconnect tanks, dry out my awning carpet, etc… that would have been a nightmare. Now add to this that we paid the “special event rate” of $76 per night, I walk away with mixed feelings. The bathrooms were very nice, the staff very helpful, the pool nice, but full of kids. OH, one thing, HUGE BEEF: kids driving golf carts. 10 year old kids, with carts full of their friends, were racing around the place! I’ve never seen that before. One girl (probably 14) put hers in into the hitch of their motor home, knocking it off it’s blocks. NOT SAFE. That loses another star. Would be one thing if it was just one incident, but I saw at LEAST 5 golf carts being piloted by kids under 15; and a two that the kid had to stand because their feet wouldn’t reach the pedals otherwise! OH AND, they came around with a mosquito fogger in the middle of dinner time, causing me to grab our tray and dash inside with it. Now that I think of it, not my favorite place to stay...

Room Tip: get a spot on the edge by the Kayak launch
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank OCEquestrian
Stephanie R, Director of Sales at Chincoteague Island KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for the insightful response, it is much appreciated. I can certainly understand your frustration with the site issue and glad that was resolved. I will be sure to address the golf cart problem with our security team. Thank you again!

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Totally recommend this place!!!! It is about location, location, location for you are right next to Assateague Island where the wild ponies roam. There are amazing bike trails throughout this national refuge so make certain you bring your bikes. If you don't own one, there are bike rentals everywhere. You can literally ride your bike from your campsite over to see the ponies. We were warned about mosquitoes before we went to the KOA. The KOA did a beautiful job of coming through spraying for mosquitoes in the evening (we still brought OFF and citronella candles but not one bug bite). Extra bonuses at this KOA include a local ice cream truck that comes through the campground AND a shuttle trolley to take you directly to the beach. There are other campgrounds on Chincoteague but more tightly packed. Highly recommend this KOA!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank LHall241

Thanks so much for the great review! We work hard to provide a great camping experience and love to hear such nice reviews! So glad you got to get some ice cream from the truck and take a shuttle ride. Looking forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Staff is very friendly, but not at all knowledgeable which I blame the employer for a painfully obvious lack of training. My original site wasn't accessible because of how the neighbors had to park to reach the hookups. I was brought to another site and told to park on the complete opposite side of where I actually should have been which I didn't realize until I was unhooked and leveled, so I had to hook back up and move it. Well, not so fast. I quickly realized that there was only one certain space I could park where my hookups would all reach, which turned out to be ridiculous because now I couldn't open my awning. Neighbors behind me had the same issue as well. So after driving 5 hours and playing around for another 2 hours in 95 degree humid weather, I just dealt with it. I left a review on their fb page and got some vague, bs response indicating they didn't really care, without so much as an offer to relocate me. Honestly it set a crappy tone for the rest of our stay. We even had to pack up most of our stuff the night before because of rain since we had no shelter from our awning. In hindsight, we should have just left then. Not a fan.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SethCarlson01
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We are a family of 5 (kids are 9, 9, and 2) and this was our second visit back to this campground. We stayed in our travel trailer Father's Day weekend. The first was the previous year when it was owned by Maddox and we really enjoyed it then.

We love this campground so much and the proximity to everything Chincoteague and Assateague offers. We were very pleased with the improvements and activities for the family. Our kids have a BLAST every year and were sad to leave after just three nights this time. They made us promise to stay longer next year!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for such a great review! We are glad you were here for the Father's Day weekend fun and look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 19 July 2017

There were more negatives than positives. The sites are small and WAY too close together (more were added since KOA bought it making them smaller to fit more in). They are also not delineated well and this can be an issue with neighbors. We had to get help from a camp host to let us know what the boundaries were. The upgraded bathhouses were better than what they were before but the water pressure was terrible. They also need to add more direct routes to bathhouses. While one may be nearby, you may need to walk quite a distance to get to it without walking through other's campsites. Quiet hours were not enforced. The addition of the bounce was a positive. Pool is also good but needs more umbrellas/shade. Although they offer sites with electricity, you only get ONE outlet so be forewarned. My husband and I camp often and this was our first experienced with a KOA campground and we were rather disappointed.

Room Tip: With a tent, you might be better off staying in a primitive site.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank SiteCer
Stephanie R, Director of Sales at Chincoteague Island KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate any insight to help make our campground a better camping experience for our guests!