“Five out of six diners loved it”

Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #139 of 568 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Reviewed 25 June 2015

Unfortunately for me, I was number six. OK, so this was a family outing. My spouse is not fond of Mexican food, and she was about to order fajitas, but somehow ordered a chicken chimichanga instead. She liked it. The servings there are HUGE, and she could only eat one of the two in her order. The wait staff is extremely kind, thoughtful, and accommodating, and, of course they brought a styrofoam box for leftovers. I had the second chimichanga for lunch yesterday. It was delicious. One of my granddaughters ordered beef fajitas. She couldn't get close to finishing it. So she, too, took home a doggie box. It looked superb, replete with fried sweet onions and green peppers. My issue: I ordered the Special Yucatán. Chicken, beef, shrimp and sausage (?) grilled plus retried beans, rice, etc., plus tortillas. At best, I could only finish half of the order. The chicken and beef were cut thin, much like deli meats, but somewhat thicker. The grilling dried them out to the point that they were hardly appetizing. The marinated shrimp were delicious. All I can say about the "sausage" is yuck! Maybe I read the menu wrong, and it wasn't sausage/salchicha after all. It was like a red-orange mush, spicy, and with a bit of a clove flavoring.

So, bottom line: we will return to the Guadalajara, but I won't order the Special Yucatân. I'd guess that spouse and I would be splitting a (huge) order of fajitas. And, you couldn't ask for a friendlier and solicitous wait staff anywhere!

Reviewed 20 June 2015

Ate there this past week. Having wait staff who actually speak Spanish is a plus. The food was good, still very much geared for American tastes, but not an out of the can place like so many others. Waitress was very friendly and experienced.

Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

The food was good, hot and arrived quickly. My husband and I both got an enchilada, a burrito, rice and beans. Service was ok.

Reviewed 21 May 2015

Hadn't been to Guadalajara in a long time. We just wanted something for supper and were pleased to have traditional Mexican food that was quite satisfying. The staff and the other customers were quite friendly to my 9 month old grandson which kept him happy. Service was good for us too.

Reviewed 4 February 2015

We stopped at the Gaudalajra Restaurant in the Shadwell, VA area by chance. Excellent service, extensive menu, and the food served quickly. The restaurant decoration id bright and inviting....for some reason I especially liked the plastic covering the cloth seats (easy to clean). The food was tasty - lunch chicken fajitas were plentiful and spiced just right; lunch the steak burrito was the best I've had in a long time