“Ok food with disappointing service and small booths”

Hamiltons' at First & Main
Reserve with OpenTable
Hamiltons' at First & Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: USD 5 - USD 33
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Charlottesville's Downtown district, Hamiltons' is the perfect spot for a delicious afternoon lunch or a romantic evening dinner. A cheerful, cozy atmosphere and attentive service ensure our guests enjoy an outstanding dining experience, be they Charlottesville natives, out-of-town visitors, or University students and staff. We also feature outdoor patio seating seasonally, providing our guests the opportunity to dine amidst the bustle of the Downtown Mall. Our Staff Kate and Bill Hamilton opened the restaurant's doors in February 1996. Today, talented Chef de Cuisine Curtis Shaver brings a distinctive flare to the exciting, contemporary American cuisine for which Hamiltons' is known. In addition to overseeing Hamiltons' award winning wine list, General Manager and Partner Daniel Page directs a staff renowned for its congeniality and professionalism. Music at Hamiltons' Every Saturday and Wednesday night from about 7-10 p.m, Hamiltons' hosts the live jazz stylings of guitarist Peter Richardson. Peter's album with clarinetist Dave Kannensohn titled "Saturday Nights at Hamiltons'" features American and Latin jazz favorites.
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My family and injust went there for dinner tonight. In the past, I have really enjoyed the food. To be fair, my husband did love his chicken entree tonight.

But I found the vegetable plate to be uninspiring. The booths are quite tight for 4 people, particularly if you have a purse to store. And our server, Calvin c, was not friendly at all. Everything seemed to be a bother for him, even though it was a slow Monday night.

Overall, I was quite disappointed and will not return. Instead, I recommend the lunch at villa Crawford in keswick hall or dinner at fossett's in keswick hall. Also, the food at the Palmer room is also very good.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We had the vegetarian blue plate special; very interesting and unusual variety of flavors on the plate and delicious! Nice wine list, good selection of local wines. Our waiter was delightful; wish I could remember his name.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Good food, good wine, great crowd, nice Downtown Mall patio

Reviewed 26 January 2012

From the menu to the ambiance and service, Hamiltion's does it right.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I love Hamiltons. It has elegant decor and excellent food. Everything is great from the fresh bread to the ice tea. I mainly go for the Vegetarian Blue Plate Special. An enticing array of 5 or 6 different vegetarian dishes - and it changes regularly. They will also mix and match for you. I highly recommend this for a nice lunch out or a special occasion dinner.