“Lousy Communication For Women Carrying Handbags”

John Paul Jones Arena
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I went to the Jimmy Buffett show, March 31, 2018 at JPJ arena. I liked that it was indoors--rare for a JB concert!

I get to the entrance and a police officer comes up to me like I've committed a crime and goes, "You can't bring your purse inside, you'll have to put everything in a plastic bag." I'm like, "No, sir. I'm not giving you all my purse." I walk a few steps and this other man (staff) shows me this card with a small, black rectangle on it. I put my small purse up to it and it's about a 1/2 inch too large. i'm like, "You all are ridiculous". Another woman walks up and asks what's going on and the cop says to her "We just can't afford to hire people to check all these bags."

I look up and see rows of metal detectors and at least 20 workers looking through bags and checking people through the gates. How many more did they need?

The communication of this rule was totally missed by not only me, but I noticed at least 5 other women who were carrying larger handbags than mine. I wasn't the only one who didn't know this rule. I'd been to JPJ arena before, and I had the same exact handbag and was let in with no problem.

I was lucky that I had come kind of early, so I took another Lyft back to my hotel and put everything in my pockets. It was infuriating having to take yet another Lyft back to the venue--and I was late this time around.

I returned only to find my seat had to have been the worst in the house. I was in Section 107 Row B (which was the first row in that section) seat 3, right on the aisle. At first I thought, this is great, I have a wonderful view!

The seat was on the aisle, a step down from where the floor seats were located. Seemed where I was sitting was a congregation area for people just talking and finding their seats. The usher did nothing and I'm sitting there with about 5 people just standing there in front of me.

I put up with this for about 10 minutes of intermittent people standing in front of me. This was unacceptable, so I ended up sitting for a few songs after Jimmy Buffett came on, in the handicapped seats near the concourse area. It wasn't bad, but it was noisy in the concourse and distracted from the show.

So it kind of put a cloud over the whole show. I'm not sure I'll be back there for another show. The venue is small and cramped inside as well.

All reviews
"rows"
"tickets"
"home"

Reviewed 14 March 2018

The John Paul Jones Arena is a stadium where the UVA basketball team hosts its matches against the other teams.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

This arena is nice and the seats are comfortable. Have been to many basketball games and concerts here. The bathrooms are always clean & fresh. The people who work here are very friendly and helpful. The only weak spot is the variety and quality of the food sold. The jumbo-tron is huge and helpful if you have upper level seats.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

Came for an ACC basketball game. Forget Duke's Cameron Crazies, the students here rock the joint. State of the Art facility. Tip- Park out at the Law School/Park (free) and ride the shuttles in to the game. Great atmosphere!!