“Authentic Mexican Cuisine”

Los Jarochos Restaurant
Ranked #256 of 582 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Reviewed 12 February 2017

If you are looking for Tex-Mex I suggest you go elsewhere. There are lots of good Tex-Mex restaurants in Charlottesville. Los Jarochos is run by a family from Jalisco and serves authentic Mexican food.

My wife and I ate there tonight and liked the food.

My wife had shrimp tacos which were served as tacos are in central Mexico. Chopped onion, cilantro, lime and salsa on the side. The tortillas appeared to be freshly cooked.

I had a mixed grill (sorry, I don't recall what it was called) which again had a lot of authenticity. Great tortillas, grilled green onions, grilled jalapeño, nopales, fresh sliced guacamole along with chicken, beef, shrimp and a home made chorizo. Also a nice helping of rice. I enjoyed it all and had trouble finishing it all.

Give it a try for a taste of authentic Mexican.

2  Thank Alex P

Reviewed 27 January 2017

This place totally caught me off guard!!! I crave tacos about twice a month...so I'm always looking for a good Mexican restaurant. If you're looking for your typical Mexican food with refried beans, orange powered seasoned rice and shredded lettuce and salsa as your only vegetable...this place is NOT your place.
At first I thought I was in a typical Mexican restaurant until the food came out. Los Jarochos uses creative ingredients like pomegranate seeds, cactus, and fresh fish...
Tacos came out on wood boards with freshly made tortillas, margaritas in fashionable mason jar glasses and the presentation of the food was excellent! The salad was fresh with ingredients like fresh baby greens, strawberries, toasted almonds, raisins drizzled with strawberry dressing...super colorful and presented beautifully.
We also ordered they typical Mexicanissimo which is various meats with fresh tortilla served with cactus and rice, which by the way, had bits of fresh vegetables.

2  Thank CvlGal
Reviewed 31 December 2016

Everything about our meal at Los Jarodhos was wonderful. The restaurant was clean, the waitress was friendly and efficient, and the food was incredible! It was fresh, beautifully presented, flavorful, and authentic. This is definitely not fare to be found in any Mexican restaurant--it is so much better! I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Julia K
Reviewed 30 December 2016

This is authentic food from Veracruz, Mexico (hence "Los Jarocas"), and our meal was outstanding. Forget bland salsa and chips, and instead think great homemade chips with a tasty brown bean dip. The guacamole was freshly made, beautiful, and very good. The chili en nogada was a feast for the eyes and the palate! It was a lovely, dark green poblano chili pepper filled with ground meat and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds; spicy and heavenly! I can't wait to try their other dishes.

1  Thank LivingLifeVA
Reviewed 30 December 2016

This is the by far the best Mexican cuisine I have ever had. Better than food I have had in San Antonio and other locales with very good food. But this was not very good. It was exquisite. I will be back often!

Located on West Main Street it is in a great location between UVA and the downtown mall. Please go! They are open 7 days a week. :-)

If you are used to Americanized Mexican for this may not be the place for you. But still you should try it. You might find you like real Mexican food...

1  Thank Eric B