“Amazing Flavors, even better service ”
Review of Sultan Kebab

Sultan Kebab
Ranked #10 of 628 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: USD 10 - USD 20
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing dinner at Sultan Kebab during a college visit to UVA. Every dish was a winner. The combo lamb and Izmir Kofte (meatball) combination was perfectly cooked and deliciously seasoned. An absolute must is the Kunefe (Google it!). I would go back again just for that. Service was exceptional. Try this gem.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank R D C

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Sultan Kebab has been one of our favorite restaurants anywhere, so we count ourselves lucky that it's nearby! Everything we've tried has been excellent, but we have come to love a few dishes in particular: the lentil soup, vegetarian platter, Aegean salads with Inegol Kofte or lamb (they make spectacular lamb), the Doner kebab sandwich, and, especially if you like the sound of a wonderful tomato sauce over thinly sliced, marinated lamb and beef, the Iskender kebab platter. Add in a warm, welcoming staff and ambience in their location near the Downtown Mall, and what's not to love?

1  Thank jane m
Reviewed 25 March 2018

If you are in Charlottesville put this restaurant alongside Monticello as a 'must-visit' location. Seriously, pass on the Rotunda tour and make time for a visit to Sultan Kebab. We stumbled on to Sultan Kebab a year ago and had to return on our next visit to Charlottesville. Let me say upfront that the staff is nothing short of wonderful...very accommodating, warm, and pleasant. The food was outstanding. My wife and I shared a bowl of lentil soup and dolma for appetizers and both were fantastic. The lentil soup in particular was delicious. For entrees I tried the combo Adana and Chicken and my wife the Sucuk and Lamb. The beef in both dishes was seasoned perfectly and super tender. The lamb and chicken in our selections were mouth-watering. One of our servers suggested the Kunefe for dessert since we had never tried it before. Shredded phyllo, mozzarella, lemon-sugar syrup baked and served hot...the extra 15 minutes for it to bake were a great investment of time. Just do it...you'll be glad you did. We also shared a bottle of Villa Doluca and, of course, Turkish coffee. I tip my hat to the chef and staff of this fine restaurant. We're still in town and might visit again before heading home.

1  Thank Eddie B
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

I had a lamb shish kebab with hummus, a nice salad, rice and fresh pita bread. For our appetizers we ordered babaganoush, grilled halloumi cheese and sigara borek which is phyllo pastry filled with cheese. All appetizers and my lamb platter were fresh, flavorful and delicious. They also have a good wine and beer list. Baklava was one of the best I have ever eaten. The waiter was very friendly. A filling meal at a great price. Highly recommend.

1  Thank whitemicra
Reviewed 22 January 2018

We had dinner at Sultan Kebab on a weekend night. I had the chicken kebabs that came with rice, salad and pita bread and my partner had the lamb. Often, kebabs are dry because they are cooked too long, but these were perfectly done with delicious spices. The rice and salad were very good with an interesting (but tasty) dressing on the salad. My partner said his lamb was very good - not gamey - and the pita bread very fresh. We had the traditional Turkish dessert of based mozzarella cheese with honey. I wasn't that interested in trying it, but the waiter talked me into it and I was very pleasantly surprised. All, in all, the atmosphere was pleasant and comfortable, our waiter attentive and food was great. I'll be back many more times to try different dishes. It was a relief to get some good ethnic food, from the usual southern fare in Charlottesville.

Date of visit: January 2018