“Brisk Brunch Business with a Brewery!”
Review of Lefty's Main Street Grille - MOVED

Lefty's Main Street Grille
Price range: USD 7 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 February 2017

This morning at 11:30, I found myself back in my collegiate Alma Mater town of Blacksburg, Virginia, having made the quick trip from my hometown of Roanoke (a mere 35-odd miles) in order to take part in a training session in the Catholic Campus Ministry's Newman House on Otey Street. My business on the VT campus completed, and the time since my early-morning coffee and cereal long past (I had arisen early this Saturday morning--5:00 AM--in order to ensure my timely arrival at the Newman House), I decided to investigate the Brunch offerings at Lefty's--a long-established Blacksburg eatery that has recently relocated and added an in-house brewery.

The brightly lit, very contemporary restaurant was packed! A long, almost pew-like bench at the entrance was filled with waiting diners of all ages but, of course, largely college students. The very cheerful staff member who greeted me asked if I desired to wait for a table or if I wanted to be seated immediately, at the bar. I followed her past the glass & wood enclosed, stainless-steel beer brewing system (it appeared to be about a 7-bbl. system--a beer barrel being about 31.5 gallons), to a semi-separate room with a modern, blonde-wood bar with about a dozen bar seats and several nearby tables. As soon as I was seated at the bar, a very chipper (everyone here seemed so upbeat and pleasant, like they really, really enjoyed working here) young lady offered me the Brunch Menu and a tall glass of iced water.

Lefty's has an extensive lunch & dinner me chock-full of traditional American fare, but the menu I was given was their double-sided Brunch listing, which was also pretty extensive. I ordered the signature Breakfast Sandwich consisting of a sizable freshly scrambled (almost omelet-like) egg, crispy bacon strips, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato and a delicious pesto dressing, all served on buttery, toasted sourdough bread. It was delicious and the perfect size for a late-morning re-charge!

Of course, I had to try just one of their house-made beers. Hey, by the time I was seated at the bar and had given the Brunch Menu a sufficient reading, it was Noon, so, technically, I really wasn't having a beer with breakfast! I ordered their house specialty ale, "The Light Weight," a golden-hued, well-carbonated beer from their "Right Mind Brewery." The description from their beer menu: "Oats and wheat give this beer a big mouth feel with only a 4.3% ABV. Mandalina, Azacca, and Mosaic hops make huge flavors of citrus and orange with little bitterness in the finish. This is a light beer with big taste to enjoy anytime, anywhere."

"The Light Weight" was the perfect companion to my pesto-laden breakfast sandwich and I was completely satisfied with my meal & beverage! I need to go back to Lefty's soon to sample the fare from their regular lunch/dinner menu. My rating of this cheerful little eatery with accompanying brewery may well go to the full five!

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Stopped in on our way out of town, had not been to the new location, which is the old Chinese restaraunt from my years. Every place was swamped with parents dropping off kids, so it was a little slow but worth it. I got the chicken club and my wife got the burger, both very tasty. This place is very dependable, good prices, and quality food in a good atmosphere.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Love this place!! The service was excellent, the food was simply awesome. We had the onion rings, fried calamari, spinach salad, spinach/artichoke soup and sandwiches. Everything tasted homemade. The maple apple bread pudding was out-of-this-world.
I will surely be back for more.

Reviewed 30 December 2015

Food was outstanding, the prices a tad high, but not too much so.. perhaps this way it keeps the riff raff out (considering it is in a college town). Great find.

Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

My wife and I were in town for a basketball game and wanted to get something local. We pulled into leftys and were lucky enough to get a table right away. The food was great! I ordered the Reuben and my wife got the pork chop. The service was great and so were the homemade desserts. If in town I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Leftys M, Manager at Lefty's Main Street Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

Adam S, thank you for giving lefty's a shot while in town for the bball game! We are glad that you both enjoyed your meals and the service. We hope you have a chance to come visit us at our new location sometime this season!