“Excellent!”

Bent Mountain Bistro
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Celebrated my son's birthday at the Bistro tonight, couldn't't be more pleased! The food, as always, never ceases to please. The abundance of food is quite a treat and makes for a scrumptious doggie bag. Tonight we tried the fresh pork cracklins and pimento cheese dip - Wow!! The bbq and burgers were equally great and pita frys!! Wonderful service tonight, friendly and helpful. Thanks for a great evening folks, we'll be back again soon!

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Living a few miles from the Bistro, I always try to support local merchants, but this restaurant has been going downhill recently so I must warn all who read this.
My daughter and grandson had recent birthdays so we decided on the Bistro as a party of six. We were seated at 12:10 and given menus. We ordered at 12:20 and our drinks were brought out.
Thirty minutes later the people next to us got their meals, ate them and left even though they arrived after us. Our server looked in on us once over that time frame.
At 1:00 I went to the bar and asked when we could expect to have our order. The waitress said the cook was all alone but was working on it “right now”. At not quite 1:30 our food came out in spurts - 3 dinners and 2 sides. FINALLY we thought we had everything but were still missing pita-fries.

Here are my pertinent, FACTUAL observations:
1) the waitress mislead/lied to my wife regarding the type of their chicken breast
2) simple request to “hold the mayo” was impossible for this restaurant to do
3) my salad was tasteless, droopy and stale
4) it was curious management to have the waitress slammed at the bar and wait tables at the same time
5) my marguerita-pizza was smothered (assaulted) with cheese, out-of-season tomatoes and NO basil
6) my son's expensive bistro-burger was average at best
7) prices are through the roof for such miserable food and service

It used to be you wouldn’t mind a fairly long wait and exorbitant prices as long as the meal was excellent. When the Bent Mtn Bistro has a half-full house, bring a book. And when the cook/owner is overworked, the food will be hit-or-miss, but mostly miss, I'm afraid.
Nicholas R.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We had party of 12 celebrating a birthday, we brought a cupcake for each person to have after dinner ... when we asked for plates to put them on we were told there was a $1.00 “plating charge” for each plate we needed!!! I was surprised that a several hundred dollar tab for the table wasn’t enough to let us use a few plates......the service was VERY slow in addition to a $1.00 charged added to my ticket that read “open food” ... they explained it was for cheese .... cheese on a baked potato!! That will be our last time there .

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Sayth General MacArthur: "I shall return." What a find. On Route 221 between Roanoke and Floyd at the corner of Sling Gap Road. Did I say on the edge of nowhere?? The sign is nice; the building is classic rural roadhouse. Inside, the decor is below ordinary. HOWEVER, excellent selection of craft beer, excellent selection of inexpensive wines by the glass, the burgers and handcut fries looked excellent and the pizza was even better. The star of the show was the Quatro Formaggio pizza with pepperoni instead of steamed brocolli. We also ordered a Margarietta pizza which rich with oregano and tomatoes. We ordered a house salad for the table and it came with two salad dressings and the ingredients were bunched so that each person could create their individual salads
The service was prompt and the waiter we recognized from his days at Roanoke's top rated restaurant.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Four of us went our on a recent Friday to celebrate my brother-in-laws birthday. The evening went quite well, with some fine food and service from 'the bistro'. I had their local ribeye steak, and if there is a better steak in the immediate Roanoke Valley I have not experience it. Cooked to perfection, and tender, the flavor was great. My wife had the sirloin with bearnaise sauce that included shrimp and it too was a wonderful cut. We come here as often as we can, and while the vibe is a bit on the 'funky' side and service can be hit or miss, the food is always right on the money. Worth the drive up 221 from Roanoke or down the mountain from Floyd. If you have not tried it, what are you waiting for?!

Been to Bent Mountain Bistro? Share your experiences!