“A quaint place that grows on you!”

Austrian Haus Lodge
and 1 more site!
Austrian Haus Lodge
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Honestly, I'd give Austrian Haus a 2 rating if it weren't for the incredible owners of this lodge. The owners are so accommodating, gracious and lovely that I'd give them, by themselves a 5 star rating. But I have to remain as impartial as possible.

The lodge lobby is rustic and "Vermont" woodsy feeling, like you'd expect. Warm and inviting. You can get internet here, but be warned it's the ONLY place you can get internet in the entire lodge. They have an outstanding kitchen, but only use it for cooking Indian food once a week or month(I don't recall). Complimentary coffee is served along with tea and the usual, but nothing else so you'll be eating out for breakfast which you should remember to budget in.

Rooms - egad. I don't know if they are updating the rest of the lodge buy my room felt as if it was the original room from when this was built. Nothing has been updated and the while the town of Dover prides itself on keeping their doors unlocked and keys in the car, I come a somewhat more conservative background in regards to simply locking the doors especially with my belongings in the room. Granted the sliding glass doors have a bar "system" to keep them secured, the main door into the room could've been easily picked with, well, anything. I kept my "valuables" with me at all time, choosing to lock them in my trunk while traveling around rather than leaving anything them behind in the room. But that's me. The bed was okay. The bathroom was basic and small. The TV was old, and got a very low resolution version of basic cable with HBO if I recall. I didn't hear my neighbors, which was a plus.

Also, NO PHONES IN THE ROOM and no wifi. The reason I point out the "no phone" in the room is that my Sprint cell phone didn't work anywhere in Dover including Austrian Haus. With no phones in the room, all I could think about in the back of my mind is that if, god forbid, a fire started or there was any emergency in the rooms, there is NO way of contacting anyone except for getting to the lobby and buzzing the owners. And with no wifi, well that's another review.

Pool - I checked it out and the pictures on their website are 2 stars above what's actually there.

Would I go back again? Yes, but only because of the owners and after checking out what's available in the rest of Dover. It's a place to sleep if that's all you need.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the lobby might get some weak wifi from the main lobby, if needed.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
ahaus, Owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Thank You for your review, 1st let me say we have a fire alarm system in the building that is wired to directly call the fire dept. automatically. As for any emergencys, there is a phone that calls me right by the lobby door any time. I've been here 25 years, long before internet was even a thought, and never had any issues with the no phones in the room.
As for no WiFi in the rooms it is stated on my website and most everywhere that Wifi is only in our common area, which many parents like, because their children can't be on their devices 24/7 and actually have to leave the room to use it. That at least has been the feed back I've gotten from many families. As for cell service that really depends on the company you are with and the phone you have. I've had people call me from their rooms and walk around the lodge talking while others get no bars at all. As for the pool not sure, what the issue is, I've always gotten good feed back about the pool in terms of heating and clarity of water and is always well used. I took all the pictures shown on the website within this last year.
The TV's in most rooms are older, but are slowly being replaced as I can get to it.
That being said thank you for appreciating us we do try our best to help our guests as best as possible.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

M friend was working as a ski instructor this winter in Vermont. One day after work we had gone to the gourmet grocery store in town and saw a flyer for Indian Food at the Austrian Haus Lodge. They only do it one weekend a month in the winter time - so we decided to check it out. We first went for Valentines weekend with all of his roommates and some other instructors from work - I think there were 10 of us altogether. OMG soooo good and the owners are fantastic, hospitable, just great! We stuffed ourselves silly and decided to go again when the next month. This time we got even more instructors - I think we were close to 18 this time - and again the food was superb!! You have to go, it will not disappoint!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank KristineB43
Reviewed 26 February 2016

The Inn is about 3 miles from Mt. Snow. Very convenient to local restaurants and shops. If you are looking for a reasonably priced ski getaway with comfortable accommodations, book here. The owners Ketan and Shital are fabulous people. They do everything to make you feel at home. They have a warm and cozy common area, where the owners are there to answer any questions or assist you in any way. They are both so knowledgeable about the area. The cleaning staff does a great job of straightening the rooms as well. Always clean and comfortable. We have been going for the past 5 years for Presidents weekend and just love it. They have a heated pool and sauna that are great after a day on the slopes. And, as mentioned a common area with wood burning stove that you can go and sit in your jammies and enjoy a hot cocoa or BYOB. The room we stayed in is a bit tight as the family has grown, boys have gotten bigger, but we fit 4 adults, ages 15 to 48, comfortably. the furniture a little dated, but for the proximity to the slopes and the family atmosphere, its perfect.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2015

Great place - we stay here every year - owners are super friendly owners who always go above and beyond, to make the stay GREAT! Less than 1 mile to Mt Snow for GREAT skiing!! Will will deffinetly be back!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Lizzygreen73
Reviewed 20 February 2015

This hotel is awful. The rooms are dirty and depressing. The beds are tiny, carpet from the 60s and no wifi anywhere except the lobby. You have to walk outside to get to your room.

We didn't even stay the night, we left after seeing the room. It was that bad. Management did nothing when we told them our concerns and gave us no sort of refund. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2015
ahaus, Manager at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2015

The guests , here had booked a 3 night stay, and wanted to cancel out on arrival day, we charged only our cancellation fee as was stated to them, 1 night, not the whole stay. Also no where does it say that we have WIFI everywhere in the hotel, it is stated on our website . The room in question is a standard motel size room with 2 double beds and has a sliding glass door. The family who stayed in the room before had booked a 4 night stay and then extended their stay in that same room for 2 addl days, without issue. We are sorry we the guest had an issue, and we try to work with our guests when we can to make it work , but when we are full for the weekend and there is a last minute cancellation there is not much we can do at that point.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
5.2 km away
5.3 km away
Inn at Mount Snow
Inn at Mount Snow
#7 of 12 in Dover

Been to Austrian Haus Lodge? Share your experiences!