Honestly, I'd give Austrian Haus a 2 rating if it weren't for the incredible owners of this lodge. The owners are so accommodating, gracious and lovely that I'd give them, by themselves a 5 star rating. But I have to remain as impartial as possible.
The lodge lobby is rustic and "Vermont" woodsy feeling, like you'd expect. Warm and inviting. You can get internet here, but be warned it's the ONLY place you can get internet in the entire lodge. They have an outstanding kitchen, but only use it for cooking Indian food once a week or month(I don't recall). Complimentary coffee is served along with tea and the usual, but nothing else so you'll be eating out for breakfast which you should remember to budget in.
Rooms - egad. I don't know if they are updating the rest of the lodge buy my room felt as if it was the original room from when this was built. Nothing has been updated and the while the town of Dover prides itself on keeping their doors unlocked and keys in the car, I come a somewhat more conservative background in regards to simply locking the doors especially with my belongings in the room. Granted the sliding glass doors have a bar "system" to keep them secured, the main door into the room could've been easily picked with, well, anything. I kept my "valuables" with me at all time, choosing to lock them in my trunk while traveling around rather than leaving anything them behind in the room. But that's me. The bed was okay. The bathroom was basic and small. The TV was old, and got a very low resolution version of basic cable with HBO if I recall. I didn't hear my neighbors, which was a plus.
Also, NO PHONES IN THE ROOM and no wifi. The reason I point out the "no phone" in the room is that my Sprint cell phone didn't work anywhere in Dover including Austrian Haus. With no phones in the room, all I could think about in the back of my mind is that if, god forbid, a fire started or there was any emergency in the rooms, there is NO way of contacting anyone except for getting to the lobby and buzzing the owners. And with no wifi, well that's another review.
Pool - I checked it out and the pictures on their website are 2 stars above what's actually there.
Would I go back again? Yes, but only because of the owners and after checking out what's available in the rest of Dover. It's a place to sleep if that's all you need.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 3 miles from Mt. Snow, we have an indoor heated pool, sauna, gameroom, cctv in all rooms and wifi access in our BYOB Lounge area that also has a fireplace. We are a family run and operated and welcome other families here. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Austrian Haus Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Austrian Haus Hotel Dover
- Austrian Haus Lodge Vermont/Dover