All reviews continental breakfast was simple mount snow convenient location no frills skiing rates
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I spent three nights at the Austrian Haus while skiing at Mount Snow recently. The proprietor is extremely friendly and available, the rooms are modest with a quaint charm (nothing remotely fancy), and the pool and sauna had a legit retro vibe (mainly due to being dated, but there's a charm to that).

If you are renting equipment, DO NOT go to the store that the hotel recommends, World Class Ski. Staying at the Austria Haus will get you 10% off, but the store is totally overpriced and the 10% still has you paying well over what you should. Also, the man who served me and my friends was a complete arrogant snob. This young guy with a goatee spent more time berating the equipment we own than trying to help us find what we needed. He charged us all sorts of services without informing us of up-cost. Soured all of us until we cheered up after a few good morning runs.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank dredgedtravel
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Marriott or a bnb this is not. It's a pretty average motel. Pretty much what I expected. Pictures on the wall? Telephones when nobody uses them any more? 'cmon. I came midweek and got the $89 rate. Don't forget, VT has a steep lodging tax to add to it. The rooms are average in size. The beds and linens are clean and comfortable. The bath, sink and floors are all clean. The one place that could use some upkeep, from a presentation point of view was the caulking around the sink needs to be re-done and the bathroom shower diverter had been replaced in a slipshod manner. But it was entirely operable and I felt neither a safety or hygienic issue. I came midweek, down at the end of the main building, I think it was room 210. It was quiet, so I can't speak about noise -the other reviewer must have been there on a busy weekend. The room did not have odors, such as smoke, pets or mildew as I've experienced in other motels. It's set back a little from the road. I was there on a snowy night, so I really can't comment on highway noise. What the other reviewers have to say, well, the facts are right, the opinions vary. Continental breakfast was fairly simple - coffee, tea, cereals, juice breads, pastries, toaster. As a guy I had no problem, I could see that the fussier-type would. So, please look past the name and the facade. Set your expectation dial to "motel" and you'll nail it. Would I go back again? Yes. Would I recommended it? Depends who I was talking to.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank billskis
Reviewed 22 September 2013

All expectations were met for me. We came up here (myself, mom & two daughters ages 5 & 7). Our room was very nice, clean & comfortable. Anything I could expect was there (folded, clean towels, working television with remote etc.). I've read that the owner is extremely friending & helpful - which I would definitely concur. They made sure we had everything needed. When we were going out in the afternoon (after we checked in) he asked if anybody wanted a cup of coffee. I told him that my mother would (they were all in the car waiting for me). So he took the time to throw on a cup of decaf just for her. There is a game room downstairs which had 3 different types of games + a full size pool table. In the common area there is a fireplace along with books, magazines and a plethora of board games. The indoor heated pool and sauna were great. Myself and daughters swam for a couple of hours before going back to the room. Upon awakening the next morning, my kids went for another swim while I was in the common area using the WIFI to type this review. The main parking lot for Mt Snow is 4 miles from the Austrian Haus, which is great.

I feel like there is a time & place to stay in something like the Westin or W hotels, but thats not what we were looking for on this trip. Anybody that left less than positive reviews probably had the wrong expectation or is used to places that are $200+ a night.

We couldn't have asked for anything better on this trip. Owner will go out of his way to accommodate you. But please make sure you speak up and say something. It doesn't help any when you are 50 miles down the road headed home and then leave a lousy review.

Our family definitely would come back to Alpine Haus. It was a rather quick 4 hr & 22 minute trip from our home down south.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the 300 level. There will be nobody above you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank The G
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed here last year, with my two children. We LOVED it, and plan on going back. My daughter is 17, and my son is 16. This hotel in not the Ritz, but makes up for that in sooo many ways. It is SUPER close to the mountain! They have a main 'social area' where they hold a continental breakfast every a.m. We really liked hanging out there in the evening after a LONG EXAUSTING day of skiing. Wi FI available, which with two teen age kids, is GREAT! They have round the clock coffee which was nice. In the social area, they have big tables, and games available for both kids and adults, there is a fire place usually going, which after skiing all day, is nice to sit by with a glass of wine. The owners a SUPER nice, very acomodating. We will for sure try to go back soon!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here I have to say If you're expecting the Ritz, then you don't realize where you are. However, if you're looking for a wonderful place with a relaxed-cozy-easy-going-feel then this is for you! The owner/inkeeper is the best and very friendly. Our room was perfect and had a comforting warm feel. The common areas were very nice and the fire place was great to cozy up to after a night of skiing with a glass of wine (or chocolate martinis!). Waking up to a hearty continental breakfast was a wonderful way to start the day and then to come back in the evening to a variety of hot beverages was just the cherry on top. I am without a doubt going to be visiting the Austrian Haus again!

• Stayed: March 2013