“basic, comfortable”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
New York City, New York
“basic, comfortable”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

basic, comfortable room. had a fridge, cable tv. computer with internet connection in lobby for guest to use. hot tub, warm, but weak jets. There was a sauna, but I didn't use it. Food was buffet style. Breakfast was a full breakfast and quite good. Dinner was OK, but it was nice not to have to "go out" to eat after a long day of skiing. Was a shuttle but I didn't use it. A ways away from the mountain. Lovely, cozy lobby with fireplace. There was a bar, but I didn't go to it. They had cookies and juice when you came back from skiing-a nice touch.

Room Tip: Get a room at the far end of the hall.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Our family of 5 (including 3 teenagers) stayed here for a 2 night (Sunday/Monday) stay. The front desk staff is helpful and friendly and lobby is cozy with fireplace and 55" TV. There is also free coffee, lemonade, and cookies throughout the day. There is secured storage for ski equipment, but we did not use this because we rented equipment. The buffet breakfast is excellent, with enough choices to satisfy all tastes. Dining room looks out over the large pond. You can't see it now because it's snow-covered, but it would be beautiful in summer and fall.
Several large bus groups were checking out as we arrived, so we practically had the hotel to ourselves. Pool area is nice, but not close to the jacuzzi/sauna area. This is the first stop on the free mountain shuttle, but we picked up the shuttle at the Pinnacle Ski rental shop. By the way, this is an excellent place to rent equipment, and the front desk provided discounts to this shop and many others.
Our room was basic, and a bit dated. With 2 queens and a rollaway cot, it was very crowded. Room was always too warm, and lower thermostat didn't seem to help. Bathroom was clean, and beds were comfortable. If you're looking for luxurious pillows, flatscreen TV's, and space to relax, go somewhere else and pay a lot more. We felt that the price for our stay was very fair, and we weren't planning to spend a lot of time in the room anyway. One suggestion: the floors are creaky, so ask for a 2nd floor room for better sleeping.
We didn't eat any other meals here, so I can't comment on the prime rib buffet.
Other suggestions:
Pie-casso's for pizza was great (both eat-in and take-out).
Stowe Cinema: cozy small theater, perfect to watch Oscar-winner "The Artist"
Trapp Lodge Deli/Bakery/Brewery: a bit pricey, but excellent sandwich/dessert menu. Seats at the bar provide a great view of the mountains

Overall: good value for the price. Friendly staff, adequate room, excellent breakfast buffet.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
CT
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Many of the reviewers have already stated this, but the Commodore is a classic VT ski lodge. Cozy lobby and numerous long hallways!

Definitely outdated, but the price is great, the rooms are clean, and overall the service was excellent.

Breakfast: Really enjoyed the breakfast options here. Hot, quality food. The staff was very responsive in the dinning area.

Location: Very convenient location. In fact you can catch the shuttle right in the parking lot to Stowe Resort if you feel like sleeping in and the fam/group goes on ahead of you.

One negative: I was severely injured during my trip skiing, stuck with my leg immobilized and on crutches for the first time. When I went to the front desk for some bags so I could ice my injury the young woman could barely be bothered to provide a couple extra bags and mumbled the ice machine was "that way". As I struggled with two bags of ice and my crutches she barely glanced up, didn't even bother to offer any assistance. I was kicking myself for not getting her name, as all the other staff was very attentive and helpful.

Beyond this one blip, I still would recommend this Inn.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank declue
CommodoresStowe, Manager at Commodores Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very sorry to hear that one of our front desk employees was not more eager to assist you with your needs during your stay. We pride ourselves on offering outstanding customer service and assisting our guests with everything we can to make their stay the best possible.
I have spoken with all of the staff in reference to this behavior and reminded them of the importance of our guests and their satisfaction.
I am pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was pleasant and hope that you will consider us again the next time you visit Stowe.

Warm Regards,

Karen L Brown
Manager
New York, NY
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed at the Commodores Inn for a ski weekend with friends. The property is not too far from the ski resort (last stop on the Stowe resort shuttle) and offers decent and clean rooms. There is a ski/board equipment locked room so your equipment stays safe overnight. The breakfast buffet is plentiful for a day on the slopes. We also had the dinner buffet (with the Prime Rib special). There are two whirlpools with a sauna on one end of the property, and one next to the pool at the other end, so you can find the appropriate place to relax (if not the bar) after a long day of skiing. The lobby lounge has a fireplace (gas, not wood, unfortunately) with free cookies and lemonade/tea/coffee. The staff is helpful in calling local transport to the restaurants and clubs. This was my second stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
NYC
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My 8 yo son and I stayed here march 3 and 4 to ski Stowe. My son loved the place but commented that the beds are hard. This Inn is a typical old style skiers Inn. No frills. Our room was clean, and the room felt cozy but anyone wanting romance, upscale bedsheets, tasteful decor, Molton brown bath soaps, etc., will be sorely disappointed. I wasn't expecting anything like that and was pleasantly surprised at all the fresh fruit for breakfast. I got a good deal and might stay here again. My only real complaint was that there were 3 busloads of drunken college kids here this weekend who monopolized all three hot tubs and raged into the wee hours of the night. kinda brought me back to my youth though, so I couldn't be too mad. If I was 22 I would definitely come here again, and again.

Room Tip: I had the handicapped room since the rest of the inn was sold out. It has a view of a wall and the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family