“Extraordinary views, excellent service, decent food”

Cliff House Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 104 Restaurants in Stowe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2016

If I could have my druthers of importance fulfilled at a scenic lookout point, those in the title of my review would be it - so a clear five stars for me for Stowe Lodge's Cliff House Restaurant. And the food, though not great, was plentiful and tasty and reasonably priced. To get polite, friendly, efficient service from the hostess and waiter was a nice bonus. Then to sit at a front window table with the view shown in my pictures, was a trip well worthwhile on the Gondola. My wife and I did target an early afternoon time after the lunch rush mid-week, and even so, we were very fortunate to grab the last window table available for the next half hour or so. There's a quality setting inside, with wood trimmed windows, draped tables, and even knives and forks with a nice hefty feel. Nobody rushed us to finish and water refills and other requests were quickly and cheerfully fulfilled. Comfortable - atop a mountain (or nearly so) with a views across valleys and ranges and a cloud and sun rippled sky. There was one very nice restroom at the restaurant's entrance, and two more one flight of stairs down. An open air deck stretched the full length of one side of the restaurant and was easily accessible through a side door. After lunch, my wife and I wandered out there for a bit, meeting folks from other states and even a lady our age who said she was comfortably waiting at the restaurant while her younger grandchildren hiked some trails nearby. On the grounds around the restaurant itself is a raised deck for an even wider unobstructed view. The restaurant is a gem of comfort among the bared rocks and cliffs. Would love to return here in other seasons.

2  Thank Adan_Lerma

Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

There is one problem with this restaurant assuming you do not want to hike a few miles to get there. You have to take a gondola ride up to it. The cost for three people exceeded $80 ( anyone five or under is free so I did not have to pay for my son). That was before lunch. Once you are up there the views are amazing. The food is also good and they have a decent beer menu. We started with the charcuterie plate which was excellent. Good cheeses, meats, and sauces to put on them (fig, honey, mustard, etc). They did forget the pickled veggies but the plate was so full I did not notice until I checked the online menu a few days after. For the main course I had the skirt steak. It was a little tough but not too bad and the sauce it came in was excellent. My daughter and wife split the falafel and found it to be average. They also split the BLT (so they could both try each). My wife loved it because of the thick cut bacon. My daughter hated it because of the thick cut bacon. I got to eat my daughters bacon and loved it. It was as thick as Peter Lugers in Brooklyn. My son got the Johnny cakes and we all had some. It was the best thing we ate all day! If they could chop the price for the gondola in half I would return again Otherwise when the price to get to the restaurant is almost as much as the food you eat while there, it is not worth it. Forgot to mention the hot chocolate there was the best I have ever had in my life!!!!! Get some for the long ride down.

1  Thank AnywhereButNJ
Reviewed 26 September 2016

The gondola ride up Mansfield and the views from the restaurant make the $$ worth it! The staff are friendly too!

Reviewed 18 September 2016

You can walk up the mountain or take the gondola. There is outdoor seating. The crab cake was really good but the fennel salad was nit etible because it was smoothered in dressing. The ginger carrot soup did not taste homemade as the ginger was bitter. The falfel was good. Service was just ok.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

I have been up to the Cliff House a zillion times over the years and I still love the views no matter what the season. The only real issue is if you are not an annual pass holder you have to pay the $25 per person to get to the Cliff House. Once that trauma is over the views take over. The menu has changed over the years (smaller now) but the local flavour and sourcing is still there. Well worth a visit come snow or shine.