“My favorite mountain in the north east” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 59 things to do in Stowe
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite mountain in the north east”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I love to start on toll road, you can get some great pictures. I'm not an avid skier, I prefer greens and blues, but the glades are great and there is some fabulous advanced skiing if you are braver than I!

Brooklyn
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great for Greens (and blues and blacks!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

As a relatively new skier, but someone who has been able to still sample a number of different mountains (I guess I'm a slow learner!), I found Stowe to be the best by far for beginners. The number of green trails, and their length and variety in terrain kept me interested and challenged. The difference in snow conditions between Stowe and nearby Sugarbush, which I had been to the day before, were vastly in Stowe's favor. The more experienced skiers in my group also really enjoyed Stowe's trails.

And on a slightly unrelated note, Stowe is about 20 minutes away from the Ben and Jerry's factory, which is a great apres ski activity for all ages!

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Best Skiing in the East”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Hand's down, Stowe is the best ski mountain in the East. Over the past few years, major investments in services ensure a great experience, including a new hi-speed quad; RFID lift tickets (no more zip ties); great base accommodations.

Plymouth, New Hampshire
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 305 helpful votes
“Pricey Skiing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

The mountain does offer some nice amenities, such as the free lockers. And of course - one can always say, "I skiied Stowe". Considering that a Stowe ticket is now the priciest in New England, we expected better skiing conditions. It is understandable that the Northeast is exeperiencing a lack of natural snow this winter, but having skiied on packed powder in NH the day previous to our Stowe visit, we were disappointed in the treacherous, icy conditions we encountered on the mountain - and that was first thing in the morning, before it was "skied off". It does not appear that there has been much of an effort to crank out man-made snow to supplement Mother Nature, or work the groomers hard over the existing surfaces. What a waste of money!

Knoxville, Tennessee
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice choice for the Northeast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Depending on your aptitude, the runs are varied and very enjoyable. Just be prepared to move to Spruce Peak in the afternoons when the light gets flat and when you go there, prepare to fight the beginners for hill space!

Visited February 2012

Been to Stowe Mountain? Share your experiences!