“1st time and”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Essex, Vermont
“1st time and”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

we were very happy with the evening experience. No reservation 8pm Saturday night, and we waited 10 minutes for a table. Service and food were great.

1 Thank VERMONTER101

Burlington, Vermont
“Stick with the bar menu here!”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

What can I say? I've been here probably five times and I have never had what I would consider a "superior" meal, even though I wish I could say differently. The chef/owner's other restaurant ("The Black Sheep" in Vergennes, VT) is considerably less expensive, has great local atmosphere, is a bit quirky, and is always delicious. At the "Bearded Frog," the menu is pretentious, dining room is noisy, prices are high, and nothing is as good as other top-of-the-line restaurants nearby. The good news is that the bar menu is less expensive, has great steak frites, a good selection of local brews, and makes for a rousing, fun vibe. Stick with the bar menu and skip the overpriced main dining room.

• Visited January 2012
South Burlington, Vermont
“A really pleasant restaurant with good food and service”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and two adult children took my wife here for her birthday. Though we have lived in the area several years and dine out reasonably often (the Burlington, VT area has the most restaurants per capita in the USA), this was our first visit to The Bearded Frog. We had heard many good things about the BF, including from our daughter (a part-time caterer and event organizer). What a shame that we had waited so long. It was a really wonderful experience.

The restaurant is in the center of Shelburne village (one stop light), only a block from several other good restaurants. It is in a relatively new building, but the interior decor is that of a New England home - lots of wood, comfortable, warm, but plenty of room.

The food was delicious. The menu is not that large with 10-12 appetizers and 12-15 main dishes, but the variety is broad - something for everyone. It was very flavorful and creative. The dishes are well presented and the servings are adequate (I had to take /12 of my pork chop home - just too much).

The service is very good: attentive without being overwhelming.

We all recommend this restaurant highly for either a special event or just an night out, and it's now on our "regular" list for a monthly visit.

• Visited February 2012
Italy
“Best food in town.”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The Bearded Frog would seem to have become something of a local go-to; even on a random Wednesday in mid-August, the place was packed enough that we, not having reserved, had to sit at the bar for a few minutes before heading to the table. Not that I mind -- the excellent local beer selection made even that time well-spent.

The Bearded Frog has a cuisine that is just eclectic enough to make it stand out: Venison "cigars", far from traditional Vermont fare, seem to be there to stay -- I certainly make sure to order them every time I go. A pleasant mix of the French owner's traditional cooking and the local goods provided by his adoptive state, The Bearded Frog is a must-try if you're in town.

The only "complaint" that I would have is that, despite only going 2-3 times per year when I'm at home visiting my parents, the menu seems to vary quite little.

• Visited December 2011
“Bearded Frog: Excellent service delicious food!”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

A delightful evening. Server Ashley was professional, friendly and prompt. She was perfect! The food was delicious! Perfectly cooked - wonderful menu with enough diversity to satisfy our party! Everything was delicious.