“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Review of Fairbanks Inn

Fairbanks Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Saint Johnsbury
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I normally avoid lodging with outside corridors, especially in colder places. I do so for a variety of reasons, perhaps the most important being that these places tend to be older. I'm glad, however, that I didn't avoid the Fairbanks Inn. It has the layout of an older building, but it's kept up to par with newer lodgings.

The Fairbanks Inn is owned by the same group that owns the Comfort Inn in town (amongst other hotels). This is gives guests of the Fairbanks Inn access to the indoor pool at the Comfort Inn. During warmer weather, guests can use the on-site outdoor pool, which is very private for a motel.

The staff was extremely friendly, both at check-in and check-out. We stayed in the honeymoon suite. The suite is huge. It has a living/dining area, two bathrooms, and a bedroom. The larger bathroom has a huge jacuzzi tub that easily fits two people. The kitchenette had a microwave and a refrigerator - no stovetop. The furniture in the suite was in need of updating. It was clean, but it had seen its day. A slipcover on the sofa suggested that it was time for a new sofa. Everything screamed 1980's.

Should you stay here? If you are leery of motel style lodging - don't worry. This place is clean and comfortable. We had no problem at all with noise. The Comfort Inn is a little nicer, however. So if the rates are the same, I would suggest the Comfort Inn. If price is an issue, or if the Comfort Inn is booked, I would suggest the Fairbanks Inn over the Holiday Motel. This is because the Fairbanks Inn seems to have a more private setting and feels less "motel-like" - especially at the pool.

Room Tip: The rear of the property is extremely quiet with a large yard.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Fairbanksinn78, General Manager at Fairbanks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Fairbanks Inn. My staff takes pride in upholding our motto of being "Vermont's Friendliest Inn".As you mentioned "the suite is huge". You'll be glad to hear that we are remodeling the entire suite. I expect it to be completed well before this coming summer season. The Fairbanks Inn's location is one of its biggest assets. We like to say "we are close to everything but far from expensive". Many our our return guests prefer the home away from home feeling. Our large courtyard is a bonus for our guests traveling with children and/or pets. Again thank you for taking the time to review the Fairbanks Inn and I hope to see you the next time you make your way to St. Johnsbury.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

The room was very spacious, two double beds, fridge and microwave. The bathroom was equipped with heat lamps; appreciated at the end of a cool day. There was also a separate sink in the area across from the bathroom. This was convenient while my boyfriend was in the bathroom. The only complaint was that there was no breakfast. Good location in St Johnsbury. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Fairbanksinn78, General Manager at Fairbanks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Thank you for reviewing the Fairbanks Inn. I would have to agree the
heat lamps are a great added bonus especially when it is chilly. The
extra vanity is wonderful and allows two people to get ready at the
same time and not having to rush so much. We do not have breakfast but
do have hot chocolate, coffee, and tea as well as discount coupons for
our guests to the Miss Lyndonville Diner and Anthony's Diner (both are wonderful). Thank you
again for taking the time to review the Fairbanks Inn and I hope to see
you the next time you come this way.
Tabitha

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were there for a fall foliage - which was great, as expected.

This motel is OK. For the price ($159 in the middle of nowhere) - could be better.
We had a room on the first floor.
+Big room.
+Good beds.
+Nice receptionist.
-Non-smoking room smelled as if it used to be a smoking room.
-TV - old, blurry picture.
-Ventilation - noisy, hard to fall asleep.

They recommended "Elements" restaurant - it was really good, unexpected in such small town, with a good sense of style and humor.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Fairbanksinn78, General Manager at Fairbanks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Thank you for reviewing the Fairbanks Inn! Our Foliage season is a great time of year to visit Vermont. The changing of leaves is a beautiful thing to witness. I am sorry you were
disturbed by the air vent noise. I've informed our maintenance staff and will get it fixed ASAP. We have recently just upgraded out tv sets. I am sorry you had viewing problems with yours. We have taken care of that problem. We converted the Inn three years ago to be 100% smoke free. We do our best to keep our guest rooms smelling nice and having our guests feel as if they are at home. Elements is a great restaurant! Again thank you for your comments and I will be sure to pass them along to the staff. I hope to see you again the next time you are in Vermont! Until then safe travels!
Tabitha

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We drove an extra hour to get to the Fairbanks Inn based on the reviews. It was as good (or better) as they had said! As we pulled into the parking lot you could tell this was not your run of the mill chain hotel. This place has charm! We found friendly and courteous service.

We were very impressed with our room. It was larger than other hotels - without paying the extra for a suite. Our room also had microwave and refrigerator in addition to an extra dressing vanity with sink. The best part was the sliding glass doors leading its own private balcony with a great view of the Vermont countryside.

The only negative thing I could say about the room, is that the air vent had a a strange vibration in it every time the fan came on. It was not bad enough to ask for a different room - we had asked for one on the first floor. We were in the room right behind the office. It was still a very nice room with comfortable beds - a winning combination.

Would I recommend the Fairbanks Inn - you bet I would!

Room Tip: Room Tip: No elevator - how heavy is your suitcase?
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to not only post a
review about the Fairbanks Inn but for driving an extra hour to get to
us. That is amazing and we feel honored you chose us. Our rooms in fact
are oversized and larger than most standard hotel rooms. The extra
vanity is a plus especially when two or more are trying to get ready at
the same time.I am glad you enjoyed your view from your private
balcony. The views at times are breathtaking. I am sorry you were
disturbed by the air vent noise. I've informed our maintenance staff and will get it fixed ASAP. Again thank you for placing a review and I hope you visit
again soon. Tabitha

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Located on the banks of the Sleeper River near the famous St. Johnsbury Academy prep school, the Fairbanks Inn is a comfortable, basic motel conveniently located within walking distance of the downtown attractions including the St. Johnsbury Athenaeum and the Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium. The rooms are reasonably priced and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful and the inn reserves several rooms for those traveling with their pet dogs. For those seeking a base from which to operate during foliage and ski season, this is a decent place to lay your head down each night. One quibble - rooms on the lower level furthest away from the lobby (Rm. 101 specifically) get no Wi-Fi access, at least as of this posting.

• Stayed: October 2011
Fairbanksinn78, General Manager at Fairbanks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairbanks Inn. My team members and I work very hard to make each guest's stay as comfortable as possible. As you mentioned, we are centrally located and a great property to enjoy all the regional attractions and events. As we like to say..."we are close to everything, but far from expensive". We are just minutes from downtown Saint Johnsbury. Quick access to the planetarium, library, farmers market,corn maze, Kingdom Trails mountain biking, Burke Mountain for skiing, and local eateries. We are currently working on the internet signals on the ends of the building. I am very sorry you did not have good internet access, but I promise it is being remedied. Again thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I hope you stop over the next time you are this way. See you in the future...Tabitha

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Johnsbury
11.4 km away
Colonnade Inn
Colonnade Inn
#1 of 1 in Lyndonville

Been to Fairbanks Inn? Share your experiences!