“Quirky but interesting”
Review of Wilson Castle

Wilson Castle
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Proctor
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

We probably would not have ventured to Proctor solely for this venue, but if you're an architecture buff, Wilson Castle is an interesting attraction. Our pleasant guide provided the historical background for this unconventional and perhaps pretentious regal residence. Several internal furnishings and appointments (Tiffany lamps and imported French windows to name a few) were fun to see. The Castle is privately owned, and parts are in evident disrepair as the restoration cost would clearly be considerable. But the Castle is worth a look if you're in the neighborhood.

1  Thank Gyrfalcn
in 5 reviews
"video"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I am not an architecture expert or particularly knowledgeable about or interested in older homes. I went to visit Wilson Castle because other people I was travelling with wanted to go. I expected a preserved old home where everything was roped off, much like many of the historical locations that I have previously visited.

That was not what I got.

Instead, Wilson Castle seems like a once popular attraction that has fallen on hard times. The grounds are a bit unkempt, the exterior has scaffolding, and there's a faded Vermont Tourist Information board in the parking lot (Well, parking lawn. There's no pavement) that looks to have been there for a couple of decades. The brochure for the place, which I saw on the tour guide's desk, must have been published in the 1950s or 60s and stated that we would be greeted by the Swiss Guards. There were no Swiss Guards. I did see a uniform, helmet, and pike in one room, though.

All of that sounds negative, but really the house is amazing. We were the only ones there, and our guide gave us a great tour that really let us see all of the rooms of the home. There are no roped off display areas here (A few of the older chairs are roped off, but that's it), and the fireplaces and stained glass are gorgeous.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much longer this house will be there to see. It is in disrepair and needs a huge influx of money. The painting time and skill needed for the ornate ceilings alone would be massively expensive. The occasional visitor and tour group alone is not going to cut it. Someone with deep pockets who loves this home needs to swoop in and save it.

It really is worth a visit, though. You won't see anything like it in the region.

2  Thank CmdrTMD
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Found this on a "things to do website" and even though it told me it was open I drove 1 1/2 hours only to find an open gate but closed castle. My son and I did not let that deter us though. We walked around the property and just from the exterior it was a marvel to see. If you get past all of its scars and think back to what it once was, this place is awesome. I will definitely take the time to head back up there when it is open to see the interior. Its a nice drive and I'm now more than a little curious about the interior. Do not let the reviews of "needs repairs" deter you, this place is a treasure and with a few dollars could easily be brought back to its original state, I've seen far worse buildings and still see them as magnificent in their own ways. Would give excellent review but I did not get to see the inside, I'm suremaybe in a few weeks.

2  Thank Warren J
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

We went to the castle on the evening before Halloween so preps were being made for a black out exploration of the house. We explored the entire property and were the only ones there. This place is definitely a sad interpretation of its former glory, but lovely nonetheless. There is an aviary, stable, and boiler room definitely worth exploring and the home itself is an architectural marvel with its old English brick facade and multitude of stained glass windows. A tremendous view awaits you from the deck as well.

1  Thank LoriAllen