“New England Cozy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Norwich B&B and Inns
Middlebury, Vermont
“New England Cozy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Norwich Inn for one night and had a very good experience. The Inn was crowded, but we got a friendly reception. We ate a wonderful dinner in the dining room--everything fresh and tasty. Our room was one of the new ones in an outbuilding. We found the decor charming and loved our gas fireplace. The only down side was the bedding--one thin blanket and a thin bedspread. I found another thin blanket in the closet. While we could crank up the heat in the room, it was still hard to get my feet warm. I'd rather have warmer bedding and a cooler room. My husband didn't mind it, though, so each to his own. We had a nice, big easy chair and a good writing desk. The bathroom was well-planned, with a large shower. All in all, it's a lovely place and we would return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Wayland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have found myself staying at this delightful inn while on business travel of late...LOVE the front desk staff...LOVE that rooms are clean and fresh and have everything you need but are still simple. Beautiful little inn right off 91...cool General Store next to inn and fabulous bakery Allechante down the block for coffee and goodies. Great town to walk around and just a wonderful stop in the beautiful world of Vermont.

Room Tip: I like staying in the main inn...but the annex does have fireplaces and bigger bathroom if that is s...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank VacayStay
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was my first "stay" at The Norwich Inn after driving by it for many years. I loved my quaint room with the Iron-frame headboard and flowery wallpaper. This is what I am looking for when I come to Vermont. The bed was great. The room was super quite, room 34, looking out on Main Street (Union Village Road). I travel with all of my toiletries so I don't review that aspect. The room could use better lighting. I prefer staying in the "Inn" to the newer additions. The public rooms were lovely to sit in and read and people-watch. The bar poured liberal drinks :)

Room Tip: It depends on your preferences. I told the nice lady on the phone my preference was the bed and she...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I had heard so many good things about this inn that I was very disappointed. Was away with with 2 friends and none of us felt welcomed from the front desk to the bar area. The room was old and dingy. Would not stay again unless we were in a new room. The ads comment about the fireplaces none of which we saw. I will say the woman at the desk when I checked out was lovely but that was the only upside of the Norwich Inn.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Amccma
Benicia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

We recently traveled to New England to see family, friends, and foliage, and one of the highlights was staying at the Norwich Inn. It's a friendly place, with lots of hospitality! We stayed in the original part of the inn, and the room was roomy, comfortable, and very relaxing. The bed so comfortable, I fell into a nap upon arriving.
The rocking chairs on the porch, the "funky' general store next door, the pub, and dining rooms all added to a great experience. We were there at a busy time: Republican debate at Dartmouth, leaf season, yet we had the most peaceful and delicious meals at the pub and the main dining room for breakfast and got great recommendations for things to see in the area. Don't miss the Simon Pierce factory; the views there are beautiful and the glassware exquisite.
The dinner was excellent in the pub! And although we aren't beer drinkers, we loved the dark beers...be sure to try them! Breakfasts are the hearty New England type and order the english muffins or toast so you can sample the yummy homemade jam.
We heard that there were some quite famous journalists dining in the private dining room the night we arrived, but this did not affect the great service and hospitality.
We viewed the new rooms in the back and they are exceptionally well decorated with great amenities. Would definitely return and would recommend to those who love the whole New England experience.

Room Tip: If you like the traditional new england inn, stay in the main house, but be prepared to walk up stai...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joyce P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
2.2 km away
16.3 km away
The Lyme Inn
The Lyme Inn
#1 of 1 in Lyme

Been to The Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!